A better bilge pump

That wasn’t my question.

If you need it spelled out, I suspect the the cockpit would have been at least half or more filled and quite unstable.

When I first started out kayaking I was on the Wye River on a dead calm morning. I had my spray skirt on but not fastened to the cockpit rim. A slow moving workboat passed me and dumped about 5 gallons of chilly water over the side into my boat. Lesson learned. I never went kayaking without a properly worn sprayskirt again.

A sponge would have been a stupid way to get the water out except for the last little bit unless I wanted to spend a very long time.

I don’t think your boats are extraordinary in any way as far as being resistant to taking on water in rough conditions. You probably haven’t been out in rough enough conditions or have just been lucky up until now.

As far as Greenland paddles, while the water dripping off of them may be annoying, I don’t see the amount of water as being very significant in most cases.

2 Likes

You spelled it

What else do you think I need to do?

Couldn’t really tell by looking at your video. Is that based on you actually timing your effort with each pump?

-sing

I had to keep the pump demo short to fit the IG 1 minute window.

1 gallon in about 8 strokes with a much shorter pump than the NRS version. That was also the noticeable case at a rescue skills workshop where the longer pump seemed lethargic compared to the torrent coming from the Lingo pump.

Thanks for that benchmark. I got 10.5 cycles (plunge down/lift up) to clear one gallon for my Harmony pump.

Are we measuring the same?

-sing

Sounds right.

Docile water

Marshall,
I always wear a neoprene sprayshirt (attached to the coaming) yet have always had water in whatever boat I am paddling. Maybe it’s because I eschew drip rings. That must be it. Whatever. Can you tell us if and when you will have the Lingo pump available for sale again?
Jon

Sure. Right now I’m just watching my UPS tracking # make its way across the Atlantic along with my Segla Showcase. More on that bit later. As soon as it arrives I’ll have it up on www.the-river-connection.us

1 Like

(sorry, getting off topic alert)
interesting, I love a variety in paddles (I don’t need another one, but…)
Any reviews yet, have you tried them - impressions

Yes. I use the Ikigai and Ultimax regularly. More on other models shortly. Stay tuned, like, follow, etc.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: The River Connection, Inc. | Hyde Park NY
Instagram: www.instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Usually I have to pump the kayak out at least once sometime in a good surf session. I am up for a better mousetrap (or pump in this case). The faster I pump out the cockpit, the faster I can get back to surfing a more “responsive” kayak (sloshing water in the cockpit diminishes control).

-sing

3 Likes