A good Kayak for an Overweight Girl

Quite recently I’ve gotten into a much healthier routine. I was up around 310 pounds, and am now 299 after about four weeks of daily exercise and eating right (god I miss kraft mac&cheese)

I’ve been saving up for a new gaming computer, but I decided that what I should put my money into is an active hobby. All of my hobbies (sculpting, drawing, gaming, reading) are ones that I can do sitting at my desk or lounging in bed, and I work in an office job.

I went kayaking once (back when I was closer to 250 pounds) and enjoyed it. I also have been fishing before and enjoyed that as well. So I thought I’d take the money I’ve saved for a new computer and get a kayak instead.

I’ve been researching them for a couple weeks now, but haven’t been to any stores to actually look at any. I’m having trouble finding affordable ones that could carry my weight. I’ve found some that have weight capacity of 300 pounds, but then I’ve read on here that the weight capacity doesn’t include the weight of the kayak itself, so if it’s 50 pounds and says 300 capacity it is actually 250 capacity. Which has made finding a suitable kayak very hard.

On top of the weight limit problem, there is also the big bottom problem. Very few of the kayaks I’ve been looking at list the dimensions of the cockpit. How do I know if I can squeeze my amble bottom into the small hole? I know I want a sit-in not a sit on top kayak, but I’m starting to loose hope that I’ll find one I can fit into and that won’t sink.

I only have $500 at the moment, so I’ve been looking in the $350-$450 dollar range (I’ll still need to get a paddle and life jacket). I can save up a bit more than that to get a good one, but not much, but it takes me a while to save money (I’ve only got like $100 disposable income each month, it’s taken me half a year to save up what I do have).

So… basically I’m looking for a kayak that can hold my weight, one with a big enough opening to fit my jigglybits, and in my very limited price range. I’d love some advice. And don’t hesitate to say “your options are to wait until you’ve lost some more weight” because I’m starting to think that’s the answer. Though I could buy one I like and have it for when I loose enough weight to use it.

Oh, and I want it to be a fishing kayak, because I want to fish. Not ocean, and not rapids, lakes and calm rivers/creeks is my goal.

consider 2-person sit-on-tops
Sit-on-tops (SOT) so as the Perception Co-Motion and Malibu 2 have capacities listed as 450 pounds.

I used to paddle one solo, ferrying my young daughter around in the front. As a fishing kayak, they are an ideal platform, and if you look for one used, you should find in the $400 range. If it doesn’t come with a detachable back, you’ll want to buy one ($30), and spend a little extra on a non-aluminum paddle. PFDs (life-jackets) should be considered mandatory.

I think you’ll easily stay under your budget, get a kayak that will be well suited to fun in flat water, and will serve as a fishing platform long after you’ve decided if you want to upgrade to longer, faster SINKs (sit inside kayaks).

One caution - these boats aren’t really much fun to paddle tandem, as they are short enough that you either bang paddles or splash each other all day long. That said, guess which kayak my daughter always asks to use with her friends.

Tsunami 145
roomy enough for many big guys, so it may suit you as well. where are you located? I saw one for sale in MD within your budget, all it needs is new seat pads which are available for $40.

Now then later
Your #1 priority is to have something that will allow you to be physically active, yes? In that case I would suggest that you grab anything that will get you on the water now, preferably used since it is hopefully going to be a hold on the shorter side, and worry about a sit inside that fits well when you have stabilized to a new weight.

Two reasons, one is that this gets you on the water faster. But the other one is that any boat you get which is well tuned for your present weight will not be an enjoyable ride if you manage a good reduction in weight. You’d want to go to another boat then anyway.

How are you hauling this - like do you need to consider a device to help get a boat that may be more awkward to handle to the top of the car? You probably also want a cart to get it from the car to the water, but those come in all kinds of sizes and prices. That is something easily handled after you have scored the boat.

Pungo 140
I have a couple of rather heavy friends (of both genders) who do quite well with the Pungo 140. The worry would be if you’re carrying a lot of camping equipment also, but as long as that is avoided I believe it would do fine. You’ll probably want to avoid very large waves and whitewater in it, but I doubt from what I can see from your intended uses that you’d have trouble avoiding those situations.

Folbot Aleut

Good for you on the healthier lifestyle
I bought my first boat with the money I wasn’t spending on cigarettes and being on the water was about the only time I wasn’t jonesing for nicotine that first year.

There certainly are kayaks that can support you. I have never heard that bit about subtract the weight of the boat from the capacity, I don’t believe that is correct.

With that price range you are talking about a cheap recreational kayak or shopping for something used. On the low end, a Perception Swifty should work for you. If you shop Craigslist be on the lookout for a Tsunami 145 or a Tempest 165.

Have you considered a canoe? Buy a tandem and you can paddle it solo by sitting on the bow seat facing towards the rear. Pretty much any one will have ample capacity and fit is not as critical. Also, me personally, I am no fan of fishing from a sink.

Good luck and keep dropping!

location?
Are you near NY? There is a place in both Rochester and Buffalo called Oak Orchard Canoe and Kayak. They have a Kestrel 120X on closeout, a $900 kayak for $650. Very stable , solid boat, would be a good fishing yak now and when you reach your desired weight goals too.