A Level/SAT Design Engineering research

Hi all,

Linked below is a survey on paddling; it’s for my A Level (like SATs for the UK) Design Engineering research since I’m looking to make something that solves a problem within paddlesport. It would be great if you could fill it out for me - it takes less than 2 minutes to complete, and every piece of data is super helpful for me.
A bit of context on me - I’ve got my paddlesport instructor, but am primarily a sailing instructor, so please excuse me if some of the questions are slightly odd for paddlesport!
If you have any feedback, please leave it below

Thanks so much
Harry

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=CqB-ofBmJkqUWGitNeQH9RrMCbKZD8NMka469BvPZtJUQzQwQ1gxWUpROEk1N1g4Sk1NR05SWUhZVi4u

Just for more context I am primarily a day paddler and get on the water about 150 times per year and can load the canoe and gear in about 3 minutes so have no interest in adding anything fussy to my routine.

Perfect - thanks so much for your response

That has to be the slowest clunkiest link I’ve ever encountered. It makes me wonder if it tried to install some kind of bug. Or it could be something going on with the wifi…

I checked out my laptop and just for drill I restarted it. Now everything is running right, so I don’t know if it was just coincidental with the link from the original post, or what.

If that link causes anyone else to slow way down, or freeze, let us know.

Opened quick on mine. No idea what he is after but I’m not inclined to spend time with the whys.

So, this is what the link contains. I also don’t see how this could “solve a problem within paddlesport”. This seems like a fishing attempt which has a non-research intent at its core.

How old are you?
<14
14-18
19-25
26-35
36-45
46-55
56+
How experienced are you as a paddler?
Beginner
Intermediate
Experienced
Racer/Competitor
Instructor
What is your most used craft?
Closed-cockpit kayak (sea)
Closed-cockpit kayak (white-water)
Closed-cockpit kayak (other)
Open Canoe (solo)
Open Canoe (tandem)
SUP
Sit-on-Top

Other
On a scale of 1 to 10, how stable is your kayak?
Do you use outriggers?
Yes
No
Have you ever capsized this kayak?
Yes
No
What’s the longest trip you’ve ever undertaken on your craft?
Have you ever done kayak/canoe sailing?
Were there any issues with the rig?

@harry.karmel@gmail.com said:
Hi all,

Linked below is a survey on paddling; it’s for my A Level (like SATs for the UK) Design Engineering research since I’m looking to make something that solves a problem within paddlesport.

Can you describe what you see as a problem within paddlesports?

The problem I see
with paddlesports
is of many with paddles
there’s awful lot of bad sports
blaming hulls and weather
when much is-or-ain’t in mind
that often sinks to all time low
leaving pfd behind.

KAAAAAZART!

You’re brother-in-law is in the cosmetic surgery biz, right? He and you both wish to bust out, so to speak, into a new realm, don’t ya?

PIGFART’s! Personnel Implanted Gaia Foam Rescue Torpedoes.

Buoyancy for those boobs,
or boobettes of Goldberg’s rube,
A new uplift for sons and daughters.
Got sinking feeling? Then just add water.

“Don’t worry, Captain Quint! You really won’t ever have to wear a life jacket again! What’s that? OK,”

“And featured in new anti-dental ballistic kevlar!”

@canoeswithduckheads said:
The problem I see
with paddlesports
is of many with paddles
leaving pfd behind.

KAAAAAZART!

You’re brother-in-law is in the cosmetic surgery biz, right? He and you both wish to bust out, so to speak, into a new realm, don’t ya?

“Don’t worry, Captain Quint! You really won’t ever have to wear a life jacket again! What’s that? OK,”

What? Why? Are you . . . ok?

Just about every beginner and non-kayaker thinks some product needs to be invented that improves stability to the point that a drunk idiot can’t capsize in flat water.

There are far more variables in the equation. Another gadget, gizmo or widget worsens the problem by giving a false sense of security to those without skill, experience, and judgement.

@Sparky961 said:
Just about every beginner and non-kayaker thinks some product needs to be invented that improves stability to the point that a drunk idiot can’t capsize in flat water.

There are far more variables in the equation. Another gadget, gizmo or widget worsens the problem by giving a false sense of security to those without skill, experience, and judgement.

True - if a paddler thinks a new kind of sponson is the answer (to a question no one asked), they should just buy a rubber raft.

@RussSeese said:

@canoeswithduckheads said:
The problem I see
with paddlesports
is of many with paddles
leaving pfd behind.

KAAAAAZART!

What? Why? Are you . . . ok?

Noone here is OK. We’re paddlers.