A paddle question

For all you hydra-dynamic or aero dynamic or what ever you call it experts.

Why don’t they make a canoe paddle blade in the shape of a kayak wing paddle blade?

Or do they?

Cheers,

JackL

Wouldn’t That Make It…
just a one sided paddle. What I seen of the OC white water folks, they switch over to the other for cross strokes quite often.

May make sense in a tandem racing where each person is committed to paddling just one side?

sing

No, no
I mean in the shape of a spoon, with the bottom rounded equal all the way.

When you switched with it, it would be the exact same.

You are mistaken on the Tandem paddling. Tandem paddlers do “sit and switch” all the time it is the norm for straight on paddling.

Cheers,

jackL

i have one
I have a carlilse bent shaft that I use for my river beater that is in the shape of a spoon. It’s a pretty big blade and catches a lot of water, but also tires you out rather quickly.

http://www.atkenco.com/staticsite/prodpg793.asp

once apon a time
Now as I see it all you want is to curve an otter tail or beaver tail canoe paddle. I have not used an “S” paddle, but I hear they are slightly cupped to dedicate a power face.

I once made a paddle. I was at summer camp (last year and i was the wood working director). I did not have a very good wood choice or tool selection, but a decently crafted piece for a couple afternoons’ work. It was cupped the whole way around. It was also unbelive ably heavy, but that was my fault (I couldn’t work the wood much thinner and still let kids use the tools…stupid job constraints). well the paddle worked great. It moved me EASILY across the water soloing those giant old Grummans. I plan to make a good version of it someday…like this winter.

Unfourtunatlu I used a nice birch stick for the handle. One of the campers and I had a bet about it’s durability…well he won.

the didicated power face will make it so that you can’t slice too wel though the water, but if you never plan to, then what is the harm. Lets try to get some of these things made up this winter. Tell your frends to try. we can compare them inthe canoeicopiea parking lot.

Liveoutside

We use both sides of the paddle
Wouldn’t the advantage provided for one side be a disadvantage on the other side?

I have no idea what this design would do to my J-stroke.

Often I’ll play around with an in-water recovery stroke, the paddle never leaves the water. Sometimes the paddle does a half turn on the recovery. Suddenly I’m using the weak side of the blade. A flat blade recovers better than a curved one, in the water.

I don’t know kayak stokes, how often do you brace without switching sides? Again, the advantage for one brace becomes a disadvantage for the other.

– Last Updated: Dec-14-05 11:11 AM EST –

JackL....
I think I'll revise after I look at the blade you mention...

My guess

– Last Updated: Dec-14-05 2:45 PM EST –

Hey, I used to be a C-1 paddler, so I have some chops.

Wings trickled down from flatwater K-1 racing. Look at the blades flatwater C-1 racers are now using: Slightly spoon-shaped. I will venture that a wing C-1 blade cannot be made due to the need for both a leading and a trailing edge. (for both sides of the canoe)

Jim

Jim,

The spoon shape certainly does produce an easy stroke exit! I wouldn’t doubt that we will see some changes in some paddles, I mean…I’ve been tweaking the ends of my paddles towards that shape…

I forgot about the plant though…
I don’t know how that would be affected.

JackL

I should have mentioned…
I was talking bent shaft, and I am talking about a power, (racing) stroke.

JackL

Experiment
Clip a T-handle extension onto half of your EPIC - and I suspect you’ll be able to tell us after just a few strokes! L

Different stroke natures?
I think the nature of a canoe stroke vs. that of even a very high angle kayak stroke is quite different. A canoe paddle enters the water, is pulled through the water, exits the water, and resets in a completely different manner than a kayak paddle. Probably explains the differences normally seen.

The kayak wing blade is not …
completely rounded at the base, so it would screw up on the plant.

I think I will try it though.

I’ll be bringing the canoe down to Florida along with the yaks when we come down, but right now it is tucked in it’s nice cozy winter house in hibernattion.

JackL

Don’t know if any exist
but I would think you’d need a symetrical concavity on the pushing surface. Maybe something teardrop shaped and shallow like one inch deep from the center to the edges. I’d probably buy one if it could be made in the 8 oz. range

OK paddle makers…
Are you listening ???

I’ll settle for a free ball cap for suggesting the idea.

Cheers,

jackL

I love my bentshaft
It’s not the best for finesse, but for pure power there’s nothing better. I don’t always bring it, only solo trips where I’m going to be on larger lakes. Saved my ass a few times when I would have been windtossed or worse.

Zav power surge
Seems close to what you’re talking about.

8.5 ounces in the lightest lay-up.