A place to avoid on Hilton Head

Hey doc!!
I’m glad you finally found a place to put your boat.If ya’ll doctors ever have a conference up in the upstate of S.C. you are welcome to leave your boat here free of charge.Plus I’ll let you put it anywhere you decide no matter what my neighbors say.When you get ready to put her in the water the river or lake is just down the road.My house is the one with two red canoes, outside next to my garage, so everybody can see, on stationary home made racks, and proud of it house on the hill.Enjoy your trip buddy.

Wayne

Not likely at HH.
That tactic might work at most places, but I assure you that it won’t at HH. I’m in there several times a year. Not only do they not allow kayaks in certain places such as on your vehicle, but they have rules about dresscode, (not that most kayakers were dresses anyway lol) many rules regarding animals, etc…And btw, do not take the other posters advice by taking that loud beater pu. It is doubtful that you’ll be allowed to go in even with a brand new one. And take a good word of advice before you go and check just before you leave to make sure you’ll be able to paddle when you get there. If a certain high ranking official/group of officials which frequent there are in town you may not be allowed in the water at all within a certain radius. I found that out the hard way. Don’t get me wrong here. I would never really want to go to HH in a million years. It’s simply part of my job. There are many places with rules just like these all over the East Coast now, and especially in Florida. You’d be surprised how strict. HH doesn’t hold a candle to some with their rules. Also, these rules get more strict by the month so make sure they haven’t changed, or been ammended before you go. Hey! Maybe if you wear a Tilley Hat they’ll treat you like royalty? NOT BLOODY LIKELY! LOL Wish you a great trip, and that you have a good time.

Paddle exclusively on~ “Splash”

I think
I think we should all call up acting like we want to book reservations. Right before it’s finalized, mention that you’re an avid paddler and will be bringing your boat. When they explain they can’t, scratch that, WON’T accomodate, say, “nevermind, cancel the reservation.” Maybe they’d get the point. Or better eyt, someone should call pretending to be a kayak symposium coordinator…

Oh yes…
Oh yes, and I absolutely agree that both Edisto, and Tybee are great places to paddle.

The way that HH got the island
from the locals and then starting building condos on the old graveyard is sick old history. when a project is started out on such a wrong pretext it just shows what’s to come. The people who used to live there are now only allowed there as the “help”. Sutle racism and bigotry prevail.

It is still Horsesh*t
I came across a similar situation here at the city beach in Key Biscayne. The life guards don’t want you launching kayaks that are not rented by the local concession. They don’t even want you paddling around off shore. They don’t have alegal leg to stand on.

My understanding is that one cannot OWN any part of the ocean. If it is safe to operate kayaks in a given area, then I would like to see property law which permits regulating who can and cannot operate a kayak there.

Plead Ignorance
My family has been vacation on HH and Sea Pines Plantation for years. Every year I show up in some sticker laden rattle trap paddlers vehicle with no less than 4-6 boats on top. Every year they pull me aside and read me the riot act, and let me go on about my way. My opinion is that their bark is much worse than their bite. Years ago my father instilled a civil dissobedience trick of listening to the speach with a blank stare…and then do it anyway.

I usually use the bayside “Toe” launch of Outside HH. I always touch base with them first, but they have never asked, nor have I offered, money.

If all else fails use Mike McCreas famous line “Your interfering with my right to worship”. No place, no matter how upity, wants to mess with a anti-religion catastrophe.

I’ve always thought that the funny thing about HH was that they try to portray this old money southern thing, but in reality over 50% of the permanent residents are from Ohio. In fact the prime season is based on the summer break schedule from Ohio schools. Its kind of like a snobby Disney World for Nouvau Riche upper management folks who are trying to cover up the fact that everything they know of old money they got from Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil.

This Is Happening Everywhere
We all (me, my wife and daughter) went to Wimberly, Texas on the San Marcos river. What a great part of Texas this is, except for the “rules.” Not only can you not get access to the river, you can not park within a mile of it, or even look at it without being in violation of some city ordinance. I tag named Wimberly “The town of a thousand rules” after my visit there. I’ll go elsewhere, and spend my money in other places in Texas. It really is a shame that we are letting this happen.

caution tides
Be careful of the tides especially if you launch on the back side of the island. While tides aren’t generally all that large in that part of the world, the few channels between the islands run very strong as the tides change. All that water built up behind the island comes out quickly. If you get caught in a channel you can find yourself a long way “out to sea”.

Also, because of the tides, most of the water on the ocean side is silt brown not the pretty blue shown in pictures.

It is also interesting to note that most of the people who live on HH can’t afford to play golf there or go out to eat. They still want to protect it, from what or whom I’m not sure.

thanks
i’ve paddled there before- the tides are about the same as elsewhere in lower sc/ northern ga, whcih is to say “strong”. i always take tides into account. i’ll mostly be paddling off the ocean side anyway, since i’m looking to find whatever waves there are to be had.

andrew

chemical dump
the last time I was there, there were an incredible number of lawn care trucks driving around, spraying every lawn. There are perhaps enough pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers in that portion of the island to qualify for EPA Superfund status!

Chemlawn
I remember seeing a lot of those trucks in the Michigan 'burbs, and thinking it sounded pretty scary. Don’t see a lot of them out here, probably because most folks get their water from a well on their own property…