A quality car camping tent.

I’m looking for a four/five person tent recommendations. There’s only two of us, plus our two dogs, but we’re looking for a comfortable, dry tent that doesn’t mind the wind. Something with a big vestibule, and tall enough to stand up in. I’d like to keep the cost under $400. The end of season sales are starting and I’d like to have something in mind. We spend a lot of time on the road so we need something that isn’t just designed for sunny weekends. Thanks.

LL Bean
We have an LL Bean Ultra Dome 4 tent with vestibule for car camping, and for the price, it’s a great value. Plus, you have the LL Bean warranty (Basically forever).

Ours has been in gales, downbursts, and heavy rains, and has never leaked or fallen down.

If the 4 isn’t big enough, they make a 6 person, too.

Wayne

How about this…
It’s an Armadillo by Walrus…sleeps 4-6, 9’ x 14’ and almost 6’ tall, with front porch, wigwam style. Mint condition. Was $475.00 new, but just don’t have need for such a large base-camping tent. Weighs almost 25 lbs.

I was going to put it on ebay, but will sell for $150.00 + shipping costs (probably around $25-30 by UPS ground).

Email me if you’re interested.

Eureka!
Check out the large dome style tents from Eureka. I have used these for years and found them to be easy to set up, roomy, and dry. I currently have a Sunrise 11, which is 11 feet square and about 7 feet of headroom. I need it…I’m 6’4". This tent has fiberglass poles and when staked down with guy lines it is very stormproof. My previous model had aluminum poles and was really bombproof. I use these for ‘car camping’ but have used Eureka tents for backpacking and paddling exclusivly for the past 20 years and never had one fail, leak, or rip.

Kelty Green River 6
Full coverage rain fly, more vertical sides than many others, and good venting options. 79" overal ht.and large vestibule. about $325.00

Columbia Gardner Peak
I’ve got one and it works real well. 18’x10’, I really like the size. Free standing, I can put it up alone. $250 at Campmor.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39170585&memberId=12500226

how many people can wrestle

– Last Updated: Aug-10-07 10:34 AM EST –

with a 61 lb tent?

If you have the ten people it holds sure you can do it..I dont doubt that it goes up easily.

But how do you get it from the ground onto a Thule box?

I have an LLBean King Pine that sleeps four though we put a queen size Aerobed mattress in it so it sleeps two and a dog just fine.

It comes with an attatched screen house and weighs 25 lbs.

And it comes with the LLBean customer satisfaction warranty, which is NOT a lifetime warranty.

Springbar
If you are looking for a quality weather-proof and large tent get a www.Springbar.com tent. They are made of heavy duty canvas, will last a lifetime, and are super easy and fast to put up. They are very heavy and bulky but will easily fit inside a small trunk. The basic 4 man tent is around $400 without a canopy.

I just slide it
into the back of my 4Runner. Its got wheels to help transport it on the ground. For me, the size is worth the weight.

can recommend
the North Face Trailhead 6 (or 8) and the

Coleman Northstar 8 (if you can find one).

Both of these have complete rainfly coverage from top to bottom and multiple “rooms”.

I’ve used both and they are very nice, setup is easier with 2 people.