A vehicle story.

Three weeks ago , I was happily tooling around in my 2001 Tunda, but I had to be extra careful in high traffic because I have a full leg brace on my right leg. It limits movement but I can still operate the brake and accelerator. Not easy but doable.
At my wife’s urging because I was not known for gentle stops, I talked to my GP about hand controls. Four months later, I got an appointment to be tested for the use of hand controls.
The test was Q and A and visual testing with some mental association thrown in. No problem.
I was leaving and the testing person informs me that she has put a restriction on my DL. I am no longer supposed to drive without hand controls. That’s cute since I drove myself .
Monday, I started hand controls training. That went OK except it costs $120 per hour.
Then she informed me that my truck can’t be retrofitted with the controls.
I was angry before , and now I’m pissed.
This morning we went car looking, primarily to determine what vehicle me and the device will fit in.
The 2 that made the cut were the CRV and the Forrester.
Ironically, my wife gets to drive them and tell me which one handles the best so we can get it and have hand controls installed by a certified shop so I can drive it.
Naturally, she likes the Forrester and I like the CRV. Neither of us want to do this but I am not ready to stop driving and she really doesn’t want to be a chauffeur.
Now I know why we’re told to save for retirement, so there is the advice.

String, is that brace long term? Hope not.
As to the cars you tested, when my stepmother did a job on her knee we discovered that my Subaru Outback and my sister’s Forester did better than any other cars at having the room she needed with a stiff leg.
As to going to hand controls, l called my insurance company to confirm after getting my right bunion done. I was in a point of healing where l felt like l could have driven with the boot on if necessary, especially with dynamic cruise control. I found out l was deeply mistaken. The most minor fender bender would have been all on me, zero insurance help, as well as liability, as long as l had any device on my right leg.

I supported the local taxi company for 4 more weeks.

How much do you want for the Tundra?

@grayhawk said:
How much do you want for the Tundra?

Edmunds says 4K.

Celia, the brace is permanent. It ends about mid thigh. Prior to this one, I wore a lower one for years, and drove with it.
Not one Dr. , PT, or brace maker ever said a word about the legal ramifications.
I’ve had to use Uber once so far and was pleased.

Is the accelerator on the left in a right hand drive vehicle? You could move to the UK… Or just import a RHD vehicle.

I have a stiff R knee post replacement I have to move the seat back in the 09 Forester… Once in I have to adjust the seat up
Oboy an electronic seat adjuster would be nice.

Getting old just sucks.

@kayamedic said:
I have a stiff R knee post replacement I have to move the seat back in the 09 Forester… Once in I have to adjust the seat up

Getting old just sucks.

It ain’t for sissies.

The hand controls are “Interesting”. The accelerator and brake are operated with the left hand which stays on the device. Turning is done with a knob on the steering wheel using the right hand.
The purpose of the training is to create muscle memory. I did a lot of pushing on the floor board in my first session.

String, I may have gotten a different answer if I had pressed the insurance folks about a lower leg brace that allowed for normal shoes and flexing of the knee. That may be fine. The strict definition in NY state is that you have to be able to fully and efficiently depress the brake pedal in an emergency. The reality I was told was that if the other driver’s insurance got wind of a device that could be argued to have gotten into the way of that, it at least would leave my insurer very challenged to have the other guy pay. Or worse.

Granted I could have gotten a spooked young insurance agent. But hand controls are likely a more prudent course. I have a kinda cousin with MS who drove a car with them while she was still able to and she found no loss of control with them.

The imported vehicle is a neat idea, but I am trying to remember if it puts control on your left foot. I had a friend many years ago who got an import to drive his rural postal route in in Machias Maine. I tried driving the car, and my recall is that pedals were still aligned to be on my right foot. But I could be wrong, it was a lot of years ago.

My wife and paddling partners may be driving the vehicle so it will be in standard configuration. The controls can be switched with a button.

That stinks, string.

Well you must be a real paddler if you’ve been dealing with a leg brace and also recently bought a new kayak.

Both the Forester and CRV are great, highly rated vehicles. The CRV went to a new platform (shared with Civic and now Accord) in 2017 so you get a nice stiff up to date chassis in the CRV. We have a base model 2017 CRV and handling is one of the main reasons I liked it…Hondas are fun to drive and sporty. The Forester may have a softer ride. Both are nice and roomy inside for small SUV 's. Both have 5 star crash rating.

Tom, I bought the latest boat because it was lighter than my Tarpon. It is now for sale because its’ seat was horrible for me.
I keep going back to my old faithful Tarpon that treats me nicely. No pain.
I don’t wear the leg brace in the boat which makes getting to it interesting.

@Rookie said:
That stinks, string.

I wasted a little time being aggravated but I’m stuck with it so I’m dealing with it. The sales woman at Subaru said she had a friend who lost both legs in combat who did very well with hand controls.

A good reminder, string, that we should always count our blessings.

@Sparky961 said:
Is the accelerator on the left in a right hand drive vehicle? You could move to the UK… Or just import a RHD vehicle.

Accelerator, brake (and clutch) are in the same orientation on LH and RH drive - clutch on the left, then brake, then accelerator on the right. Seems like they should be reflected, but they’re not.

@string said:

@kayamedic said:

Getting old just sucks.

It ain’t for sissies.

“Getting old sucks”

I second that!

@carldelo said:

@Sparky961 said:

Accelerator, brake (and clutch) are in the same orientation on LH and RH drive - clutch on the left, then brake, then accelerator on the right. Seems like they should be reflected, but they’re not.

Thank god… We had issues enough with the reversal of wipers and directional levers… And never mind shifting with the LEFT hand… And the clockwise direction on roundabouts.
If those pedals were also reversed we would have crashed long before leaving the Heathrow rental lot.

That’s why my trainer has a brake .