About the Advice category

If you have a paddling question that needs answering then this is the place to post your message. Tap into the knowledge of the thousands of people that use Paddling.com each and every day. Post your questions, post your answers and have fun!

I’m planning my first mini adventure in my new kayak (Dagger Approach 9) - a couple of days paddling down the River Thames with an overnight camp - I’m not sure how best to fit all my gear in the back compartment and all it has on the front is one line over the deck…a front deck bag seems to be an ideal solution but how do I secure it to the kayak? Any ideas gratefully received!

Your recreational kayak has one sealed bulkhead. While the boat does have a skeg, it’s not a good idea to store gear on the deck. Doing so creates a wind profile that affects your boat and depending on the weight of the gear, can affect stability.

You should store your gear in dry bags in the rear hatch as well as use dry bags and secure them in the bow of the kayak as should you capsize, they will provide some flotation.

Here’s a good article written by a certified coach and member of our community, which should be helpful: https://paddling.com/learn/kayak-camping-tips/

Hello SaraJ,
I am afraid I don’t bring much to this party because I canoe (therefore I am). But a VERY experienced kayak/canoe brother that brought me into the fold many, many years ago told me: How do you store your gear in a canoe or kayak? EASY! It is either “can” or “can’t” get wet.
My experience has taught me that you can NEVER have too many dry bags because every trip is different and ALWAYS buy top shelf gear.
That advice has save my as more times than I can count.
Safe travels.
FGB

I just bought a Santee kayak and was looking for advice on which style of roof rack I should purchase. A j rack or cradle. Thanks

What’s more important than the type of rack system is the manner in which you secure your kayak. At highway speeds, the force of the headwind can torque a kayak and snap the attachment points of a J-cradle. This can be avoided by the proper use of bow lines and also tying off to the crossbars as well as the cradles. Watch this: Flying Kayaks - YouTube

Hi I’m not from the U.S. nor live there and don’t know if I’m welcome in this forum, I’m the only active touring kayaker living in an amazon town in northern Brazil where only fishing kayaks are used. don’t want to bother you guys thanks