about to buy my 1st touring kayak--help

Just paddle
ALL kayaks require care, ALL kayaks get river rash. The only kayak that does not get river rash is the one that is not used. I own a Dagger Specter 15.5 and was so worried about ‘RASH’ that at times I chose not to paddle. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH… The boat is great and I really like the ride. I have since learned how to care for it and I paddle it regularly so no worries choose the boat you like and just ride.

Non rudder suggestion
If you want to stick with plastic, a poly Nordkapp is worth a demo. You’ll end up with good hatches and a responsive boat you’ll appreciate more over time.

You mean I can’t sell my wife?
But I can sell my boat?

Are you SURE about that?

I have abused both poly and composite
whitewater boats, and can tell you that a composite boat is well able to take the routine scraping, dragging, and bumping inherent in sea kayaking. Poly has absolutely no advantage whatsoever in those conditions. Only if you get to playing “Tsunami Ranger” and really hammering your boat are you going to find that composite boats may break more easily.

However, be careful not to spend extra money on a composite boat unless you realize some weight savings. In other words, don’t buy a composite pig. On the other hand, don’t get suckered by the “Kevlar” issue. Kevlar has little or no advantage over carefully used glass except to add some impact resistance to hard abuse. Kevlar boats may be lighter, but that does not mean they will be lighter AND more resistant to catastrophic breakage.

If you are worried about

– Last Updated: Aug-06-08 6:26 PM EST –

scraping a composite then don't even think about fiberglass. Poly boats are more fun for recreational use. FG boats are nice and beautiful but you can't beat them up. If you are looking for fun then get a poly boat and paddle on.

Rudder up and you'll learn to paddle...rudder down and you won't learn a damn thing.

Paddlin' on
Richard

Glass
I have had glass boats in some butt ugly places.

They can be fixed but if you don’t want to scratch it GK is spot on: Go plastic!

Oh, Plastic scratches more readily and is harder to fix but it will take that impact with pointy rocks a bit better.

There are lots of good boats out there, I won’t bother you with my preferences.

What ever you get you will love.