Acadia/newb questions....please look!!!

hello…in the coming month i will be heading out on my first adventures in kayaking…i am very excited as i want to really get into this(rivers, lakes, shore)…

…as mentioned i purchased an Acadia

is there anything i need to outfit it to make it more comfortable/safe…i.e foam pads???..anything else???

…i have almost everything i think i need to go:(please add to the list if i’m missing anything!!

-PFD

-wetsuit(and layers)

-emergency kit(sponge, bilge pump, whistle, leash, paddle float, etc…)

-paddle

-spray skirt

-dry bag(for food storage)/ nalgene bottles/camlbak

-gloves/water shoes

-deck mounted compass

-dry map case

…i really want to be successful in what i’m doing…i live around the Boston area and plan on going out pretty soon…i know the rule of thumb is to dress for the water…i have done my research, i just now need to get out there…any opinions, feedback would be much appreciated…andy

paddling courses? OR
expierences paddling partners? Keep at the research, we’re all still doing the learning thing. Its good to see someone who is so excited about getting into paddling. I wish you good luck

• monitor your weather reports
  • invest in a paddling course
  • find a club
  • get yourself some paddling buddies
  • first aid kit
  • towline
  • spare paddle
  • proper cockpit outfitting to get that perfect fit.

Jim

Have FUN!!! and keep us updated as to your adventures…

“Dying” To Get Out?

– Last Updated: Apr-10-05 11:01 AM EST –

It's pretty exciting when you have all the equipment in place to go out for some adventure. You recognize the water is still cold by the fact that you mentioned it, along with having immersion gear. In May, the water, especially in the ocean, will still be chilly and can be dangerous even with immersion gear if you can't get back in a boat after a capsize.

I would suggest you limit your initial excursions to inland waters rather than your "favorite spot" -- Boston Harbor. Go out to the Charles River, by Charles River Kayak and Canoe, and take some paddles there. It's a nice spot, expecially in spring when the flowers and tree blossoms begin to bloom. The other nice river to paddle is the Sudbury River. Go to Lake Cochituate and/or Walden Pond to paddle and practice self rescues. Both lakes usually have some folks doing practices, though Walden tend to be Greenland folks and white water playboaters.

Once you get some practices in for self rescue and feel you can handle them, you can begin to explore some of the "protected" coastal spots for some paddling around. Hingham Bay is pretty protected from the east and south winds and waves. Weir River which runs into Hingham Bay is even more protected. Watch out for low tide though 'cause you can get stranded on extensive mud flats. Dorchester Bay (Boston Harbor) around Thompsons Island, Squantum Point, UMASS, etc. can be a very pleasant paddle. But be careful of strong winds, especially westerlies (offshore), because you won't see the steep chops that can get generated out there until you in the midst of it. Warmer weather also will see more active usage by powerboaters of the channel that run from the outer harbor into Quincy Marina and Neponset River.

There are other protected bays/estuaries down in Quincy/Weymouth area, etc. But, you need to be aware of the tides because of the strong currents that can get generated by the ebb and flow in these restricted areas.

Also, as a new paddler, you can only benefit from joining a local club that will help you develop some skills, e.g. North Shore Paddlers Network, Boston Sea Kayak Club, AMC Sea Kayaking group, etc.

sing

thankyou…
…you guys are the best…great info…going to get my kayack today

Emergency Gear
We always carry a dry bag each filled with emergency supplies - a full change of well-wrapped warm clothes, fire making materials, plastic sheeting for windbreaks, etc., etc., etc. If you do end up swimming, the top priority after getting out of the water is to get dry and warm; I learned that the hard way years ago, when I had a very nasty go-round with hypothermia. We’d dumped a snipe sloop in relatively warm water, swam to shore, and then my wet clothes got hit by a warm but stiff September wind. Nowadays, the dry bag is in the foot of the cockpit, or lashed to the canoe’s carrying yoke, absolutely everytime we leave the shore.

You forgot a very important item !
A spare paddle.

If you loose yours in some rough weather or for some strange reason break it , you will be S.O.L. !

I don’t leave home without a spare.

Cheers,

JackL

Boat Floatation
You already received some good responses about classes and practicing and preparing for rescues.

However, as for your boat the first thing you should do is add some floatation to the bow section. If I remember correctly the more recent Acadia models have a sealed rear hatch/compartment but the bow is open. Finding the right size float bags and tying them into the bow of your boat would make rescues possible/easier if the boat ever capsized.

The possibility of capsizing the Acadia is not great in calm flat water. The Acadia is very stable. My wife has one that she keeps for guests. She can easily stand up in the Acadia in flat water. But boats can capsize and your safety depends on being prepared for it.

After that, have fun!