Acadia

Heading up to Acadia in a few weeks. Taking bikes and canoes.

Anything interesting that is a must see that is off the beaten path?

Probably not interested in coastal paddling in the canoes, but inland water and protected bays would probably be ok.

Thanks, Mike

Long Pond
Echo Lake and Eagle Lake and half of Jordan Pond are all canoe friendly with launches. (half of Jordan Pond is public water supply and entry prohibited. Why…no idea perhaps water really does not mix)

Also on the western half is Seal Cove Pond.

Bass Harbor Marsh
I enjoyed Bass Harbor Marsh. I mistakenly put in on the east side of the marsh and was surprised when it dead-ended just past the bridge on the return trip. I think the west side launch would be better because it leads into Bass Harbor.

On the same day I wanted to kayak Seal Cove Pond but could not find the access road with much back-and-forth searching. GPS for the launch is Latitude 44.292104; Longitude -68.392393

Thanks
Do I need any permits for my boats in Maine?

I have Pa. DCNR launch permits on my boat.

biking in Acadia
The biking on the cariage paths is fantastic, don’t miss it.

paddle up
northeast creek.

??..tab to maine.gov(boating)…

– Last Updated: Jul-26-13 3:35 PM EST –

I don't ThInK you need anything for canoes...(famous last words)...
Don't know how much time you're around for or what type vehicle/tires..so I'll go ahead & ramble..for Moosehead Lake area(& north ~20mi). (Greenville to Rockwood(West side) road = newly paved a year ago...lots of moose at/after dusk...fwiw. Moose at dusk/after virtually anywhere...
BigSquaw(Moose?) Mtn..& small ski area just west of Greenville on Rockwood Rd.

BarHarbor/Ellsworth to Bangor = ~36mi

*Bangor to Greenville(Moosehead Lake): 69mi:
Head out #15...(extension of Broadway)to Dover, Guilford, then up to Greenville(& Moosehead Lake)..Black Frog Pub = not bad food/bar. Plenty of ponds east/NE of Greenville.
.........OR..........
*Bangor(I-95) north to Medway/Millinocket exit..~68mi. Drive along paved Golden Road(westward) along W.Br.Penobscot(some WW(Cribworks/Nesourdnahunk Falls) downwind of Katahdin Range. River Drivers Restaurant off main rd.. Paved becomes all dirt(rough from Caribou Lake south to Greenville) but take the Telos Rd north and Nesouwadnehunk L. is a nice paddle.

Dirt roads off of Lily Bay Rd...up to Kokadjo, then it's all dirt. But if you take it slow...nothing dangerous(famous last words..) Ponds(Big Lyford, 2nd W.Branch Pond)..in ~10mi+ by banging a right ~1mi before Kokadjo. Interesting pond just under BigSpencer Mtn(~15mi north of Kokadjo). There's a Mountain Brook Pond just a step out of Greenville, but not sure of 4wd needed???