Adjusting the skeg proud?

A short while ago it was mentioned in a thread that a skeg is best adjusted slightly proud.

I was pondering this while doing some boat maintenance today and I’m not sure I understand the reasoning behind this premise.

Why should I have my skeg proud of the slot?

Thanks.

Holmes

deeper when deployed
you don’t ‘need’ to have it adjusted proud but… if you do, you will get a hair more ‘bite’ outta the skeg when deployed.

The previous thread started off with some skegs that came adjusted a little shy and we were just discussing the advantage of having MAX adjustment.

and by ‘proud’ we’re talking 1/4" MAX.

steve

Above + the skeg will 'fill ’ the slot
and cause slightly less drag. A foiled blade needs this.

P.S. Holmes … working on a sub 3" skeg box since Mermaid will not take my regular one.

Proud vs Humble

– Last Updated: Jun-28-06 6:00 AM EST –

When my skeg was humble the control was about 3/4 back in order to get neutral with the wind. With the control set to fully deployed the boat would barely leecock.

After I went 'prouder' the boat got neutral at about 1/2 deployed and I could get the boat to leecock nicely when fully deployed.

Type Dependant
This need would be entirely type dependant. Adusting the skeg for full deployment would certainly allow for the designed performance. However, other systems provide full deployment without the need to have the skeg partially deployed at rest. Depending, again, on the boat and the skeg, your boat might perform more or less to your liking with the skeg at rest and partially deployed. IMHO, the best adjustment would enable the skeg to be fully deployed, fully retracted, or anywhere in between. This might not be possible in all cases.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

OK, stupid question…
I think I have an idea of what “proud” and “humble” mean, but please enlighten me as I plan on gettting a Tempest with a skeg.

Chris

proud
is a term to describe something that stick out a little. when you do a repair, say f/g for instance, and you leave the patch/putty a little ‘proud’ means to NOT sand/ grind it all the way back to original. stickin’ out a bit.

when you deploy a skeg to full depth, if it starts a little ‘humble’ (opposite of proud) meanbs that it moves a bit up inside the skeg box before it even does any good. adjusting it right down to the hull is correct and proud gets you a little extra. too proud and it creates drag, which is a …drag. :wink:

that help?

steve

Steve
So this is when the skeg is up and not deployed? I assume if you adjust your skeg to be humble when it is up, it will be a little humble when deployed? I currently paddle an original Pungo 12’ so I have no experiance with a skeg or rudder.

Chris

I’m Not Steve
but yes. If you adjust your control to the ‘all the way up’ position but have the skeg actually sticking out of the hull just a little (1/8" to 1/4") you’ll have some more to work with.

I can testify that this makes a significant (as in better) difference on a windy day.

I First Heard The Term
from my grand dad when I was about twelve. He liked to make wood furniture as a hobby and was building a table and letting me help. We used wooden pegs to hold everything together and he explained that we were going to leave the pegs “proud” until we had everything dry fitted and then glued.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

I thought
that might be the gist of it but I wanted to verify.

Thanks, Steve.

Holmes

Cool!
I’ll be needin’ one of those low profile designs at the end of this summer. I plan to start another Night Heron but I’m scaling it down 7% and going with a lower Greenland-style aft deck.

Also, Pat, what is the difference between a regular skeg and a foil skeg. Is the foil skeg contoured similar to an airplane wing?

As an aside, I also look forward to some of the other projects you mentioned you had on the drawing board.

Building a boat certainly gave me an appreciation for what you pros do on a regular basis.

Be well.

Holmes

Rex es correcto!
yep, with friends like Kudzu I can take the day off…

it’s all about proper adjustment!

steve

I first heard it as "proud cut"
Refers to horses that have been gelded after sexual maturity. Their behavior does not change, and the only biological difference is that no new little horsies can ensue.

correction to proud-cut…
a proud cut horse is one that the veterinarian or senoir cowboy “left” a bit that still produced that good ole’ testosterone which causes the horse to still behave like a stallion…

That’s not what I heard
It was a horse person who told me that. She owned a proud-cut horse, among others.

Maybe there’s more than one meaning.

Well…
I am a horse person (40yrs+) and my 2nd pony was a POA stallion, I have owned 1 true proud cut horse, I currently have a gelding that I gelded when he was 7 years old. And he no longer behaves as a stallion…he is now 16yrs. I also worked for a large animal veterinarian for 5 years…and now I currently work at one of the top Schools of Vet Med.in the USA…so there!

nananananana naa!

ML

;p