ADK 90 miler GPS coordinates needed

I need the starting point gps coordinates of each of the 3 legs of the ADK 90 miler. Does anyone have them to share? Thanks in advance.

Follow the crowd

– Last Updated: Aug-12-12 10:16 AM EST –

No real need for GPS to find the start. A simple road map will get you there.

Day 1, Old Forge Beach. You can't miss 250 boats.

Day 2, Long Lake. Cross the bridge over the lake, contine 3/4 mile, turn left on Endion Road at the "Canoe Race" sign.

Day 3, Rte 30, Fish Creek Ponds campground can't be missed. A large NYSDEC campground sign at the first entrance is the one for paddlers (you need a race ticket to enter - it will be in your racer's packet).

gps coordinates
Thanks for the info but I wanted the gps coordinates to load int the gps to use while in the boat.

The start point

– Last Updated: Aug-12-12 8:58 PM EST –

Start point coordinates would be more useful in a vehicle gps to arrive at the start than in your boat. In your boat after the start your gps would always point to your stern!

What class are you paddling?

Get coordinates off Google Earth
You know the physical locations.

coordinates
Does not make sense to me if you have a GPS in the boat it will give you the coordinates unless you have some other motive that you do not want discuss here?

gps
It’s not my gps. It’s my paddling teamates gps. He wants the coordinates. I’m under the impression that with the coordinates we can track our progress etc. Do some simple calculations, stay on track of goals. maybe I’m incorrect.

Starting coordinates

– Last Updated: Aug-13-12 2:54 PM EST –

Not sure how just each day's start point coordinates (which is what you requested) would do that for you. If you want coordinates for the entire route, that's quite a different story. However, with 250 boats in the mix, there is rarely a time when you would not be able to follow another. All major turns or points of confusion that I can think of will have either a safety boat, a DEC employee, or a volunteer to guide you.

This is a competitive race, you know. However, if you just follow the published route on Google Earth or any other mapping software, it would be easy to download your own complete set of coordinates if you think you need to do that. Most racers are quite familiar with the route and do not need coordinates nor use gps to guide them.

My thanks to all
I guess we’ll figure it out as we go. My thanks to all who replied. I’m way down on the techno list…and need a lot of exposure in this area to make a more intelligent request for info and the reason why I think it might be needed and/or useful. Thanks again.

One more thing about navigation

– Last Updated: Aug-13-12 3:09 PM EST –

I will add... there are areas of the route, particularly in the river sections, that have red and green buoys. Though most paddled boats can safely and legally cut many of the corners and stray outside of the buoy channels, you can't cut them all. You might run into shallows (especially this year) that will slow you down considerably, or worse there may be rocks or stumps lurking just below the surface. The solids will surely get you if you don't know where they are. Veterans of this race do know the hazards and may follow very precise lines outside the buoys, based on past experience.

Even if you had gps coordinates for these areas, it would not be accurate enough to completely avoid the hazards that may be outside of the marked channels. So my advice would be to stay in the marked channels, or to follow in trail the precise line of an experienced veteran who knows the course very well.

Good luck, and we'll see you there.

Red & Green
I experienced that on the Saranac River. Lots of bouys, Lots of hidden hazards. Thanks for the very good advice.

GPS in Race
We just set ours up at the start each day. No need for the coordinates. We just zero it and have it display Distance, Speed and Moving Time. No need to have it tell us where we are, just look around and you know where you are. We watch the speed to keep our pace up, the distance tell us how far we have gone, and the moving time gives us an idea if we are ahead of the cut-off times. The moving time also helps keep us on our hydration and gorp schedule. An interval chime on a watch is another good reminder to keep drinking and if its time for gorp. You get to talking to others or chasing someone down or keeping course in a windy lake and forget to eat. Don’t notice it then, but towards late afternoon you pay for those skipped calories.

Bill