Advice for first kayak

I am new to kayaking and have been out with my brother just a handful of times. I’m looking for suggestions on a kayak to purchase with the following specs: 1 person, 10’-11’ long, sit on top, adjustable foot pegs. Retractable skeg would be a plus. Mostly used in shallow rivers. Not for fishing. Looking for manufacturer’s name and model. Also looking for a price range of $200-$500. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hiya Schmalz. A used option is obviously best for your stated budget, which of course could be any number of brands.

The only thing I can think of that comes close with adjustable footholds would be a Sun Dolphin Bali 10. You can look it up at big box stores. No skeg or rudder, but I don’t think that is a reasonable ask in the price range.
https://sundolphin.com/bali-10-ss/ Oh and a Capri 10 SS which is similar.
https://sundolphin.com/capri-10-ss/

If you are not looking for quality and looking for something to test the waters of kayaking, so to speak… then you could score something like that new with a paddle for $400. But no skeg.

Good luck–maybe someone else here will share a suggestion or other guidance.

There are many YouTube videos where inexpensive kayak models are reviewed and compared. This guy “Headwaters Kayak” makes quite a few. You may want to start there. Skegs are not usually a component of entry level boats and I doubt a retractable one would be an option in the bargain boat range.

If that’s a necessity for you, probably better start watching Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a used higher end kayak that is in your budget. Or look at some of the small inflatables like Advanced Elements, some of which have a fixed skeg. I am curious why you think you need a skeg if you are mostly going to paddle shallow rivers.

You didn’t share your metrics (height and weight). 10’ is a pretty short boat. If you are a big guy it might not handle well.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I felt like I was looking for a unicorn :unicorn: with the Skegs and you confirmed it. Much appreciated! I will definitely take a look at these two suggestions. Thanks again!

The skeg was a suggestion of my brother assuming we do some lake kayaking as well. Fortunately I am not a bigger guy (but as time goes on, my midsection seems to be outpacing my inseam) Ha!

I’ve tried FB Marketplace but their lack of filter options have me scrolling through a bunch of sales that are way outside of my focus. It can be frustrating but not impossible. I will continue the search.

Thank you!

Skegs or rudders are generally not needed for boats in the 10" range as there is not enough length for crosswinds to seriously affect the boat as far as weathercocking or leecocking.

If you are considering lake paddling you will be far better off with at least a 12’ boat. It will be narrower since the length adds buoyancy volume, therefor easier to paddle faster, and track straighter with less effort. And you are far more likely to find a 12’ or 14’ kayak with a skeg. Those sizes are much more versatile for both rivers and lakes (which tend to have more wind and no current).

I’ll echo watching some headwaters reviews. I’ll also save you some time and say you should be looking look for a Lifetime Tamarack PRO. I don’t believe it has a skeg but headwaters and plenty of others regard it highly. And I don’t think you can do much better for a 10-ft sit on top and the price range that you listed.

I’d recommend starting with used kayaks to learn what you like and don’t like.

Also the cliché “get your 2nd kayak first” is good to consider.

Most people who buy a retail priced sit on top for a low price find they love it but want more, and that usually happens in 1 year or less. Buying a longer more useful kayak used often costs about the same as a big-box store kayak does new, and most folks will want something better very soon after they buy a short cheap kayak.

Craigslist (and those kind of advertisements) is your friend.

2 Likes

Seriously consider a used boat, especially for a first boat.

• Once that new kayak hits the water it can lose up to 50% of its value. You can often find great deals on a used boat.

• You can generally sell a used boat for about what you paid for it.

• After a year or two few people still use their first boat as their primary boat. They may still keep it for certain uses or sell it.

• With minimal care a kayak can last for decades.

• Unlike cars, kayaks made in the last 15 years change little from year to year.

I think footholds would be a Sun Dolphin Bali 10.

My recreation boat is a Quest Canyon. It does great and it’ is extremely stable. I highly recommend them but also don’t think you can go wrong with any big box store kayak to start out with.

Glad you found one that works for you but stating that you “can’t go wrong with any big box store kayak” is not really good advice. There is some real garbage out there that beginners need to be careful about. Your Quest was made by Pelican and even they have produced some questionable cheap boats with bad design and poor construction. I have seen plastic boats even for sale in TJ Maxx and at discount stores that are so badly made and obviously poor hull designs that I would not wish them on my worst enemy. Brands like Lifetime and Future Beach are real dogs.

Meanwhile, instead of dumping $100 to $200 on scrap like that, there are used kayaks by the hundreds on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist that would be better choices for that cost and often have a paddle thrown in.

It is even more important for an entry level kayak shopper to seek honest reviews and feedback on models (like you can find in the user reviews on this forum) than it would be for somebody buying a higher end boat. Seems every company that usually makes plastic dishpans and dog houses decided to jump on the bandwagon and start cranking out boat-shaped molded products in the past 10 years – buyers beware.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying but still disagree to a point. Yes my quest is made by Pelican as are many boats that are absolutely perfect for a first time buyer looking to just simply get on the water. It floats, paddles and does what you need it to do. So as much as you disagree with my post, I disagree with yours. I’ve yet to have any boat fall apart on me. I’ve had around 20 and most being “big box junk” that apparently people shouldn’t buy. I guess I got lucky every time. It happens I guess.

I associate big box kayaks with early season drownings, which is not fair.
Primary factors are inexperienced/ new paddlers who do not check incoming weather, are not prepared for conditions, have no clue about currents ,and don’t wear PFD.

1 Like

While I’m not disagreeing that poorly made Tupperware boats are out there, usually at big box retailers that offer no knowledge, there is a risk to used kayaks as well.

New paddlers may miss damage or signs of abuse that make the used kayak not such a good deal. Missing parts might not be noticed as well.

Exactly what I did–bought my 2nd kayak first. And now the problem is I want a 3rd, 4th and more… :slight_smile:

I saw $199-$299 kayaks at a local farm-fleet store the other day that were already deformed from standing in the sun. More importantly, they had no flotation whatsoever. These are dangerous, especially for new paddlers. Period.
I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it — patronize your local independent shop if you possibly can (if you’re lucky enough to still have one). When Bezos’ Bazaar and Walton World (not to mention TEMU) are all that remains, we’ll all be screwed.

3 Likes

Yeah I wan’t implying that that any of my purchases were from a big box store…all my paddle gear and boats are local. Prices a little higher nowadays but that’s not sudden “greed”–that’s survival nowadays. Plus you get actual service before and after the sale.

2 Likes