Advice for young guy trying to keep up

Hey Sam, I’ve barely been following this discussion, but I’m all smiles right now upon reading how things finally turned out. What fantastic luck! And you are right - it’s peculiar how the variety in decent small kayaks disappeared. It doesn’t help that America suddenly became supersized in the last couple of decades and most adults won’t even fit into such boats. It might also have something to do with new markets being attractive to new builders with their own unique ideas, and once a few brands become dominant, the other builders can no longer make a go of it (that seems to be what has happened with many other products). Anyway, best of luck.

Thanks guys for all the help!

If I can get a trip in soon I’ll post a report on how he likes it!

Share you trip photos with the boat seller too. I have always appreciated getting “in use” shots from people to whom I have sold boats over the years. Very gratifying to see people enjoying kayaks I’ve passed along.

Just looking at the pics of the Epi again, obviously that boat originally had bungees on the foredeck. It would be very easy to replace them.

Oh, yes. It did have them, but they were very old and the elastic had snapped inside. I just pulled them off while i was cleaning it this morning. :smile: The rear set is fresh.

One thing I haven’t found is what weight the Epi is “rated” to handle. I know that’s a very fuzzy line, but any guesses of what a realistic cut-off weight would be?

I’m FAR to big and heavy for it and would never try, but my 15 year old daughter might be close to the limit. Not sure what she weights exactly.

I think I’ll go ask her what she weighs so I can post it online. …She won’t speak to me for a month! :wink:

At least according to this thread, ideal paddler weight is 65-110lbs…

https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1556419/episea-piccolo

But all figures like this are very approximate. If your 8 year old is a little lighter than that the boat might float a little high in the water but it shouldn’t be a huge problem and he’ll grow into it.

Oh, that’s great! Thanks!

Yeah, daughter’s probably not going to be comfortable in it, but we have the luxury of actually going and trying it!

The boys will be perfect.

Great news Sam! The Epi looks like a sweet boat and your kid is going to love it!

Congrats on your new boats and new friend. That little sea kayak looks like it could outrun my canoes even with no one paddling it.

Kids love outpaddling their Dads.

We had a fun time this evening at one of our local haunts. The EpiSea is a great success!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqejdyQlwOs

He can’t outrun us, but he’s got a much easier time hanging with us.

That’s a 220cm paddle, but I’m thinking about 190-200cm might be better. He doesn’t need the length to try and clear the sides of a wide boat anymore.

Best news is that we paddled for a couple of hours and he reported no back pain at all! Very thankful of that!

Excellent! I have a small kids paddle from ONNO. 2 piece and adjustable length. Very light. Granddaughter is using it in the video I posted. Plan on ordering another.

I don’t think Onno is in business any more, unfortunately.

Yes he is.

Yes, that paddle looks waaaay too long for him. I’m 6’0" and I use a 210!

He’s zipping along in the video quite nicely though.

Take a look at a Werner Sprite…

http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/touring/sprite

…or better still, make him his own Greenland paddle yourself…

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf

Ugh Sam…good he had some boats that fit your situation…cause you fell for the oldest tricks in the book… Don’t drink and make boat decisions! …:wink:

Ha ha! The negotiations we’re done long before the beer came out. Not that I negotiate hard anyway. But I do know he had those other two listed on Craigslist and that his “please take them” offer was for half the asking price. :smile:

Thanks for the paddle suggestions! If I can find a decent stick I might make him one.

My boatbuilding pals and relatives used white cedar/“cypress” if I remember right.

@Sam1911 said:
Thanks for the paddle suggestions! If I can find a decent stick I might make him one.

My boatbuilding pals and relatives used white cedar/“cypress” if I remember right.

Red or white cedar is probably the best, but if you look at the pdf link I sent you a pine 2"x4" will do.