Advice: kayak rack for Honda CRV w/Malon

-- Last Updated: Apr-11-15 10:27 AM EST --

I'm in the process of buying a 2015 Honda CRV. We currently have the malone holders like the ones in the link below. From what I can tell, they will not work with the factory rack so I wasn't going to get it.
Any suggestions for racks that will work with these type of holders? Any other advice/comments welcome. Thanks so much

http://www.basspro.com/Malone-Autoloader-Car-Kayak-Carrier/product/104776/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

What do you mean by “factory rack”?
I think you will need the factory rails, or that at least they will be useful. Then you might need to get a crossbar kit from Thule to clamp onto the factory rails. Finally, the Malone boat holders would clamp onto the Thule crossbars. Or you could probably use Yakima crossbars and clamps, like I do.

If you don’t get the factory rails, you need to get towers and clamps in addition to crossbars, and the towers are a considerable extra expense.

Sometimes car makers quote an unreasonably low weight limit for crossbars. But aftermarket Yakima or Thule crossbars on rail clamps will handle two kayaks OK.

Honda crossbars

– Last Updated: Apr-14-15 9:23 AM EST –

Thanks - I meant the factory crossbars... The ones that Honda makes. It doesn't appear that our Malone kayak holders will work with them. I'm looking for some crossbars that will work with the existing Honda rails but fit the Malone holders. Hope that makes sense...

I'm looking for anyone who has a Honda CRV and a kayak rack. No one here has a Honda CRV?? I guess I'm kind of surprised :(

no factory crossbars
Don’t bother paying for the factory crossbars (I just bought a new Mazda and had the same choice to make). Even when I have had vehicles with factory crossbars I mount a Thule rack above them onto the factory side rails. Factory bars are too close to the roof, also don’t support the superior aftermarket accessories that work best for boat hauling. I carry my kayaks hull up and on factory crossbars the coamings can hit the sheetmetal.

I had to pick up a different set of Thule bar connectors because the older models I had that fit my Subaru and Santa Fe were not wide enough for the broader aerodynamic bars on the mazda, but I lucked out and got a perfect condition used set on Craigslist from a guy a mile from me – the 504 clamps I got from him are well designed and sleek looking, Fit like a glove. And I now have good clearance above the roofline, even clearing the “shark fin” radio antenna housing.

Simply call Malone Customer Service
at 800.295.0042 and they will send you a fit kit for your factory rails.

clarify

– Last Updated: Apr-17-15 10:46 AM EST –

Thanks so much. Maybe I need to reword my question. I'm looking for someone else who has a Honda CRV and what kind of rack they have that works with that car? It doesn't come with rails. The factory rack just bolts into these predrilled spaces on the car. I don't even think there are factory rails??? Does this make better sense? D
oes anyone here actually have a CRV? If so, what rack do you have? Did you have to get rails or did it bolt onto the per-existing holes? And will also work with the Malone holders. or if anyone has the malone holders, will they work with the factory rack? Hope this make sense. Thanks so much.

Honda CRV with Yakima racks
We have one – 2014. No rails or rack came on the vehicle. We got towers from REI and had REI guys install them. They clamp to, I think, a rain gutter. Then the towers hold round Yakima crossbars. Very, very sturdy. We did a 5500 mile trip to the West and back carrying a canoe. We can also put foam cradles on the bars and carry kayaks. We’re serious about carrying boats. Might have bought a Subaru Outback if they hadn’t screwed up the new roof design for carrying two longboats at a time.

Honda CRV with Yakima racks
We have one – 2014. No rails or rack came on the vehicle. We got towers from REI and had REI guys install them. They clamp to, I think, a rain gutter. Then the towers hold round Yakima crossbars. Very, very sturdy. We did a 5500 mile trip to the West and back carrying a canoe. We can also put foam cradles on the bars and carry kayaks. We’re serious about carrying boats. Might have bought a Subaru Outback if they hadn’t screwed up the new roof design for carrying two longboats at a time.

what kind
thanks so much. do you have the model or a link to the tower and rack you got at rei? Thanks so much.