Advice on a Blue Hole MGA

Hello Everyone - man, it has been a loooong time! My disappearance from the P-Net forums pretty much coincided with the birth of my son, so here we are 7 years along from that and I’m starting to find the time to play once again!

Anyway - I’m seeking some advice on a purchase I’m considering. I’ve always been a kayak guys (we have way too many), but am now interested in also getting a canoe. I’ve been reading and reading and reading, but I’m also stupid impulsive and sometimes something catches my eye that, even though it may fly in the face of what is right, I end up obsessing over. So the object of my affection this time is an old Blue Hole 17’ MGA that looks to be in good shape. I know it is old, and might be getting brittle depending on where it has been stored, but based on the photos, it looks like it has been well cared for. It has aluminum gunwales. not wood, and the plastic seats look to be in good shape. I also know they are heavy, but seem to be adored by those that have owned them.

My uses would be very light rivers with only Class I type rapids, and lake paddling. I know I can get a lighter, cheaper boat, but I also like the load hauling advertised by what I’ve read. And I admit I’m a sucker for a good looking boat, and it is good looking. I actually also considered a Wenonah Adirondack in Kevlar (yeah, totally opposite ends of the weight spectrum), but some of the reviews of that make it sound like it paddles best when loaded up. I’m 6’2" and 220 lbs., if that matters. I don’t need to cartop the Blue Hole as I have a trailer…so even though the weight is a factor, it isn’t a determining factor. Also, I’m not looking to win any speed contests with this boat. I just want something I can stick me and my son or wife in, load it up with our backpacks and some gear, and go paddle a day into someplace to camp.

So this Blue Hole MGA is being offered at around $800, and I’m inclined to counter a couple hundred under that. Am I being stupid or should I really eye something newer and lighter?

Many thanks - always get great advice on these forums in years past. The new format is cool…! Nice to see some old familiar names too…

Regards,
BeachAV8R / Chris

PS - If anyone has a Radisson 14’ double-ender for sale within a couple hours of Charlotte - I’ll buy it off you in a heartbeat…LOL…that was my original plan, but there aren’t many for sale in this region and the ones that are all square ended…

The MGA and MGB were Mike Galt designs and there are relatively few of them. I have never seen or paddled either. I am very familiar with the shorter Blue Hole OCA tandem that was more whitewater oriented. Blue Hole canoes are very tough and very heavy. The hull design would probably suit your intended use reasonably well.

Based on what I have been told or read, the MGA and MGB are more river cruiser oriented. The price is high, IMO, but perhaps the seller is banking on some rarity value. However, if he does not come down, I suspect if you can wait or look around a bit you will be able to find a somewhat lighter boat for that price that would suit your needs as well or better.

Chris, great to hear of wonderful news of growing son. And interest in additional paddle craft. Am in Beaufort SC and will keep my eyes and ears open. Hope you are still taking those wonderful pictures.

@pblanc said:
The MGA and MGB were Mike Galt designs and there are relatively few of them. I have never seen or paddled either. I am very familiar with the shorter Blue Hole OCA tandem that was more whitewater oriented. Blue Hole canoes are very tough and very heavy. The hull design would probably suit your intended use reasonably well.

Based on what I have been told or read, the MGA and MGB are more river cruiser oriented. The price is high, IMO, but perhaps the seller is banking on some rarity value. However, if he does not come down, I suspect if you can wait or look around a bit you will be able to find a somewhat lighter boat for that price that would suit your needs as well or better.

Thanks for the tips - I made a pretty weak offer on it ($550) and the response that it was sold for the list price ($800) - of course, my heart broke when ever you see something you kinda really want. So I’ll be on the lookout for either a Blue Hole or Radisson over the next few weeks/months that is within driving distance (Charlotte, NC). There is a Radisson about 4 hours away that I might take a look at, and a Blue Hole as well…both are down in the Atlanta area. Atlanta traffic puts a damper on my enthusiasm to go look at them though (LOL).

@Andy said:
Chris, great to hear of wonderful news of growing son. And interest in additional paddle craft. Am in Beaufort SC and will keep my eyes and ears open. Hope you are still taking those wonderful pictures.

Great to hear from you Andy! Yes, the family is doing great and Kai is growing like crazy. I bought him a Perception Acadia Scout for Christmas (he turned 7 in March), so we have started hitting the water together. He makes his Daddy proud…he has turned into quite the waterman already - kayaking, snorkeling, fishing…next I have to get him on the windsurfer.

We are still taking lots of pictures - here are some from last year when we went up to New Hampshire and Kai tackled one of his first serious hikes (Kearsarge North):

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/new-hampshire-hiking-2016-long-images/2420

And some paddling pics of us in Sedona last year - talk about a beautiful area!

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/arizona-spring-break-2016-aar/1774

Any-who…I’ll try not to be a stranger. Looking forward to hitting some of the rivers and lakes in our Carolinas with the family on the weekends. Hope everyone in the old P-Net community is doing well…

BeachAV8R

If you’re going to pay $800 for a tank of a blue hole, I would encourage you to at least go look at that Adirondack, assuming it’s the ultralight for $1K. I think those list for 40 pounds, actually maybe less. I cannot overstate the virtue of a lightweight boat and the stiffness of a composite hull.

I had an Adirondack in Royalex. I liked how the boat handled on lakes in class one streams, despite posts to the contrary, it actually solos fairly well from the bow see backwards. It will carry a moderate load and has above average primary stability, so might be good for family trips. I did not like how the Royalex oil canned but that wouldn’t be a problem in composite. If that boat were in the Twin Cities at that price it would not last a day and I would probably have made an offer.

All that said, I tend to prefer a boat with a bit more rocker.

Good luck with the search. Lots of good options in the Charlotte area.

PS if you’re set on Royalex check out that Dagger Reflection 16.

@BeachAV8R said:
Hello Everyone - man, it has been a loooong time! My disappearance from the P-Net forums pretty much coincided with the birth of my son, so here we are 7 years along from that and I’m starting to find the time to play once again!

Anyway - I’m seeking some advice on a purchase I’m considering. I’ve always been a kayak guys (we have way too many), but am now interested in also getting a canoe. I’ve been reading and reading and reading, but I’m also stupid impulsive and sometimes something catches my eye that, even though it may fly in the face of what is right, I end up obsessing over. So the object of my affection this time is an old Blue Hole 17’ MGA that looks to be in good shape. I know it is old, and might be getting brittle depending on where it has been stored, but based on the photos, it looks like it has been well cared for. It has aluminum gunwales. not wood, and the plastic seats look to be in good shape. I also know they are heavy, but seem to be adored by those that have owned them.

My uses would be very light rivers with only Class I type rapids, and lake paddling. I know I can get a lighter, cheaper boat, but I also like the load hauling advertised by what I’ve read. And I admit I’m a sucker for a good looking boat, and it is good looking. I actually also considered a Wenonah Adirondack in Kevlar (yeah, totally opposite ends of the weight spectrum), but some of the reviews of that make it sound like it paddles best when loaded up. I’m 6’2" and 220 lbs., if that matters. I don’t need to cartop the Blue Hole as I have a trailer…so even though the weight is a factor, it isn’t a determining factor. Also, I’m not looking to win any speed contests with this boat. I just want something I can stick me and my son or wife in, load it up with our backpacks and some gear, and go paddle a day into someplace to camp.

So this Blue Hole MGA is being offered at around $800, and I’m inclined to counter a couple hundred under that. Am I being stupid or should I really eye something newer and lighter?

Many thanks - always get great advice on these forums in years past. The new format is cool…! Nice to see some old familiar names too…

Regards,
BeachAV8R / Chris

PS - If anyone has a Radisson 14’ double-ender for sale within a couple hours of Charlotte - I’ll buy it off you in a heartbeat…LOL…that was my original plan, but there aren’t many for sale in this region and the ones that are all square ended…

Good to see you back and with that good looking little guy.
You even left P-net long before they sold out to this new outfit.

Years ago I had a Blue Hole and at that time they were a sought after boat in those days.
I traded it for a WW kayak.
For your use, I wouldn’t get one today.
There are a bunch of much better boats, including that Adirondack
If the class I rivers you are paddling are not rocky, take a look at the kevlar Wenonah Jensen
17 or 18. We have two of them and use them in the New River, (NC portion), the French Broad River, the Lumber river and all the Lakes in this area

Guy (Jack L)

Chris, welcome back. I still remember your Katrina photos and story.

Thanks for all the love and advice guys…! Really cool to see those old names popping up.

I have an offer in on the Wenonah Kevlar (about an hour and 15 minute drive)…but they already have some people scheduled to come look at it this weekend. I’m also eyeing a Mad River Explorer perhaps that looks clean and nice.

Great to hear from you String - we’ve been doing tons of hiking and the boy is getting old enough to start paddling on his own now…so I look to expand on that now. Did our first real mountain biking trail a couple weeks ago. Time is just flying by!

Hey JackL - great to hear from you. Thanks for the tips. Most of the rivers I suspect will be lazy Class I, but perhaps something like the Catawba where we might hit a scrape or two. For that we’d probably just go with our kayaks though. The canoe I’m more looking at for Fontana, Jocassee, and eventually up to the Adirondaks and stuff. In my mid-life years I’m looking to cart around a cooler of craft beer and a Coleman camp grill on some of these luxury camping excursions…LOL…

Really nice to hear from you all…
BeachAV8R

Chris too bad you missed the MGA, but the Adirondack is a great 16’ tandem. On the MGA; it is the best paddling of all the Blue Holes in anything but heavy WW. The MGB is the best looking, wood trim done by Merrimack… And there was the rarest Blue Hole, the Kevlar hulled MGA variant, the Kingfisher. Only 12 made, Hulls done by Lincoln Canoes and the trim done by Merrimack Canoes. Mahogany and cherry trim, with Merrimacks laced seats. Best speed of any Blue Hole and very, very dry in waves due to the flare in the bow. I had one and it paddled nicely, very stable fishing platform. Sold to my assistant Scoutmaster who fished and paddled it on Lake Ontario on mild days. If you still are searching for a large stable canoe, I have an 18’ Wenonah Sundowner that I could be persuaded to sell. Its in Rochester NY, but I go to Charlotte to see my grandkids in Hunterville. bloccasssionally to paddle with Charlie Swengros the Baldpaddler

Just to close out this discussion - I settled on something and took our first trip last week in it:

https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/2936456/hit-up-fontana-lake-and-hazel-creek-for-the-eclipse/p1?new=1

Many, many thanks for all the input and advice!

Thanks for sharing the delightful narrative of “new” canoe’s maiden voyage. Looking forward to more accounts. We have a 1971 Alumacraft 17 footer for hauling grand kids around the marshes. Doubles as a submarine when the gunnels get dipped for too long.