Advice on kayak for a tall woman paddler

Let us know what you get!

Budgetary option
Might want to wait just a wee bit for the P&H Scorpio to arrive. It is not a Capella. If the cockpit follows the dimesions of the Cetus then it should give you 28" of clearance from the seat backband to the inside edge of the front coaming, as compared to the Capella 167 which is about 25.5". Also being that it is a plastic creation it should fit a bit better with the budget.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

tracer
I looked at the Tracer in comparison to the Eddyline Thermo boats at a local dealer, and was not impressed with the quality, fit/finish, attention to detail on the Hurricane versus the Eddyline boats. Of course, there is a significant price difference which is a consideration. The Hurricane just seemed somewhat chintzy compared to the Eddyline boats I looked at, but that is just a subjective opinion.

GK you old pervert, she said 36" inseam.

– Last Updated: May-30-08 6:27 PM EST –

Silver,you will have to pardon us old guys. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam. You must be a tall lady.

I can’t help it …I’m a leg man
Paddlin’ on & drooling

G_K

list o’ boats
Valley Aquanaut

Nigel Foster Legend or Siloutte

Azul Sultan

NDK Greenlander or Explorer

P&H Cetus/Scorpio or Sirius HF

Kajak Sport Millenium

At least that’s what comes to mind right now. You’ll have to try them on for fit, some might be too wide for your size. You should be able to find some of these used.

Nordcapp.
You mentioned a Valley Nordcapp…

If you get a decent price you can stuff a bag of shot under the seat to improve parked initial stability. That is a great boat, at least the new ones are. I would be hard pressed to pass it up.

The Aquiterra Chinook is a neat old boat; but a new one must already be about 14 years old.

Sea Lion then replaced it and was replaced by the Eclipse.

NDK Boats may suit you, the Explorer. She has a HV offshoot but I don’t like the HV deck.

You can move the foot rail or take it out of these boats. The lay up is such you can plant your feet on the bulkhead (if you reach it) and crank away. The NDK has a heavy glass lay up that lends itself to abuse and hands out its revenge when you take her to and from the water. they are nice boats on the water but rough as guts hauling around.

CD Storm is a big boat but you may float around in her. (not my favorite)

I am 20 lbs heavier than you and the NDK Explorer, Valley Nordcapp and P & H Quest are all in about the same same market with various attributes.

If you are not fussy the Old Town Millennium is a good boat for bigger paddlers. For beginners Sea Knife makes some good boats and they sell fairly cheap.

Celia is likely the person on this board with the best idea of what is available and what is good for women.

My inseam is about 28 so I don’t have your “problems”.

well
I tried the CD Nomad and liked it but at 18’+ it is a bit more boat than I want. They didn’t have the Hurricane Tracer as it turned out but I did sit in a couple of P&H boats. I liked one but I found the seat uncomfortable- it tipped me backwards which meant I had to hunch over to paddle. I’ll try the Valley and some other boats next, but this weekend was a bit of a bust.

OTOH I did get to try a friends surfski and woo-hoo, I think I’m in love. I am one of those paddlers that is always in a hurry so the surfski felt like home. The sit on top design is a lot more comfortable too. I’m going to paddle it again this week and may buy it for a day-trip/ workout boat. (I’m really taken with it, if you can’t tell.)

For whoever asked- I’m 6’ tall so pretty tall for a woman but not off the charts or anything. Sporting goods manufacturers are starting to realize we exist which is nice. I just bought my first ever women’s specific wetsuit and it fits perfectly! It’s a miracle.

Now if I could just get a drysuit. Or even drypants and a top that fit. Hell, I’d settle for any kind of quick drying pants that go all the way to my ankles at this point.

Surfski …

– Last Updated: Jun-02-08 1:21 AM EST –

Sounds like you are hooked.

If you can paddle a performance surfski on your first shot and like it you would have no trouble in any seakayak like a Nordkapp.

The best thing about a surfski is on the open water running with the swells, that is when it is really really fun.

Check this out ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzlu1r9ECk

I feel your pain.It was a lot of years
ago , but there were few shirts that didn’t look like 3/4 sleeves on my 38" arms. Couldn’t find size 13 shoes. Things are a little better now, clothes wise.

A boat has never been an issue, except I like SOT and most don’t have long enough footwells.

P&H Seat
You could take the foam out from under the front of the P&H seat, so that the seat didn’t tip back and instead laid flatter. I’ve looked in my Vela and it’d be doable without much work - something I have to go ahead and do since that position just destroys my back after a couple to three hours.