Advice on new ocean kayak

New to this forum. I just recently moved to the gulf coast of Alabama and I am looking for a good ocean kayak. I currently ride a Feelfree moken 12.5 that I have used on various lakes and rivers…….mostly calm flat waters. Since moving to the coast, I have been taking it out to the islands that sit about a mile or so offshore and on flat days, it works well. On windy choppy days, which are very common here, it’s a beast to paddle. I am looking for a kayak that will ride good in windy choppy waters along the coast. I am a smaller person 5’2 145lbs and looking for a boat that would fit my size. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I’m in Pensacola (west side) and I’ve got fiberglass 16’ sit in I’m looking to sell. Not sure of the brand but it’s a well made craft. PM or reply and we’ll get in touch. I can send pics etc. Around here the fall, winter and spring are the best time to paddle.

Look for something 15’ plus long 23-24" wide even 22" . Your budget is?

At ypur size you will want to look for a model with LV (low volume) in the model name. A bit harder to find used sea kayaks along the Gulf Coast, from what I hear, but if you can find a Venture Easky 15 LV or a Venture Islay 14 LV, both are sea worthy plastic models (made in the UK) that fit your size.

I have one of the Easkys (i am 5’ 5" 150 pounds) and my friend Annette, who is your height and weight, has used it several times and been quite comfortable in it. Though only 22.5" beam it is quite stable yet handles rougher conditions nicely. plus it only weighs 45 pounds. They do pop up used at times, at least in my part of the Northeast, Usually for between $500 and $750.

Thanks guys for your replies. I have been shopping around but based on what you are saying, I may still be looking at boats that are possibly too short. Right now I have been looking at the Perception Carolina 14 and the Wilderness Tsunami 14. Both seem to have good reviews and both won’t break the bank.

I’ve been using 14 or 14.5 Dagger Alchemy and Stratos kayaks almost exclusively for the past 10+ years. I think it is a great size and works at last adequately for most everything I do. A 14’ boat that is in the 22-4" width range and appropriate volume for you talked about above could be a good option for you.

1 Like

Buy used and save money

I bought many composite hulls like this for 700-900 dollars.

Even a 22’ Tandem

1 Like

Agree with buying used. You can pay a fair price and recover most of your cost when it’s time to re-sell. People here will weigh-in on asking prices if you’re unsure.
A possibility here (from Mobile AL)?

I don’t know Necky models, but others may be able to add advice/info.

That yellow one looks like a Chatham. I’ve been wanting one of those in their orange/yellow/red combo. Something for coastal exploring and faster rivers but still enough cargo space for camping.

The front one I can almost read the model name.

UPDATE……thanks for all the advice. I found a gently used Wilderness Systems Tsunami 13.5 which is the LV version of the Tsunami 14 for $250. I put 13 miles of gulf paddling on it today and absolutely loved it. It got pretty choppy late in the afternoon and the boat performed wonderful. It’s 13.6 long and 23 wide. The boat cut through the waves like butter. I highly recommend it for any smaller paddler looking for a boat that will handle the bigger water. Thanks again.

3 Likes

I have used five different types of kayaks in the ocean and one critical aspect is having a rudder so I can use 100% of my power to move the kayak forward.

I tried out the Hobie Revo 13 and the Hobie Outback on a windy day in San Francisco Bay with a lot of waves. The Outback provides a wider and more stable boat with more places for fishing gear but the Revo has a much cleaner entry into the water and so was faster and drier in open water.

If you can rent different kayaks before buying it is not a bad idea so you have first hand knowledge.