Advice/suggestions about new sea kayak purchase

I’m in the market for a new sea kayak and looking for some advice/suggestions/information regrading the following boats.
The location where I live does not allow me to demo any of these boats.

Some info about me:

• 6’ 2" tall / 225lbs
  • Partial to skeg boats
  • Mostly coastal paddling, 2-3 day tours

The boats I am interested in are:

• Prijon Touryak 500/470LV
  • Prijon Seayak 520HV/500LV/Classic
  • Valley Etain 17.5/17.7
  • Delta 16/17

I have read the recommended weight lists for each but was wondering if I would still be comfortable/safe in some of the smaller models because I prefer a snugger-fitting cockpit keeping in mind I usually have ~20-30lbs of gear. I was also wondering about the handling of each and the seat systems / thigh braces / footrests.

Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The Etain comes in 3 layer poly and composite. From the others I presume you’re staying away from composite?

Are your selections in a used market or new?

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Going w/ poly, meets my needs and price range, looking to purchase new.

My height/weight are almost identical to what you’ve listed. My size 12 feet seem to be important as well, because they’re linked to the required deck height and/or foot position. My all-time favourite boat so far has been my Impex Assateague. I wouldn’t call it a tight fit, but I’m able to lock in very comfortably on the thigh braces. Or I can loosen up and paddle for hours, though the seat could certainly use improvement in terms of comfort! There’s a ton of storage and compared to others it has been on the higher end for hull speed. Down sides are that it’s heavy - with much of this being unnecessary gel coat, and I’ve had to do some major repairs to the skeg box and coaming. (Search for my thread on this if you’re so inclined)

Others that I’ve tried, mostly liked, and fit well

• Boreal Designs Baffin P3
  • Current Designs Sirocco
  • Dagger Stratos 14.5L (own one of these too - more “fun” than “touring”, but certainly sea worthy in open water and a surprising amount of storage space)

None of these were are tight fits, but it’s easier to take up some room with Minicel foam outfitting than it is to add room if the boat is too tight (or you wear more, or put on weight). I have always found it a challenge to find boats that are a balance between bathtub and “skinny jeans”. The more I paddle though, the more I discover that my skills and confidence have more impact than the precise fit of the boat. It’s still important to get it close, but I don’t think it needs to be perfect.

Regarding the Delta, I doubt you’ll find this to be a snug fit. I’ve paddled a Delta 16 and found the cockpit and seating position to be quite loose indeed. It wasn’t so bad as to stop me from rolling confidently or edging strongly. One very nice thing about the Deltas is the weight. They are very light compared to other boats of similar shape. I do question the strength though. ABS can get very brittle, especially in the cold. Because of the rigidity, when damage does happen it will probably be extensive instead of localized.

Thanks NJR. That helps with the picture.

This is biased but I would suggest the P&H Scorpio HV over the Etain. Paddler preference here at The River Connection does back up my suggestion from experience.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I knew someone a little smaller than you who paddled an Assateague and strongly emphasized the first syllable, saying it felt like a barge. However, he liked the snugger fit of his own kayak, one of the P&H Capella line.

I appreciate all the info and suggestions but does anyone have any feedback regarding the boats I listed in my original post?

The Etain 17.7 would be fine for you. It is a good boat for larger paddler and likes to have weight in it (so would likely not feel good for someone well under 200 lbs). I’ve paddled the 17.7 in both plastic and composite a few times and liked. Used to own the predecessor, an Aquanaut HV RM and it was great. Good tourer, tracks well. I am 6’ and 215-220 lbs.

The Valley website would put you just outside of the recommended weight for the 17.5. http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/our-kayaks/composite-models/etain

Roughly, what is your location? Others might be able to point you to some local resources you weren’t yet aware of.

If the Etain inherited any of the characteristics of the Aquanaut, one of which was my husband’s first expedition sea kayak, it should have relatively fast hull speed. If it inherited the Aquanaut’s attitude about turning it wants a real edge to move in a pinch. The Aquanaut was on the stiff side, it would not give Jim a fast turn without serious commitment. Jim considered it his safety boat when he became ill because it was so solid on its stabilities. But he took the Romany when he wanted to do messy conditions where easy turning mattered.

That may be why some of Marshall’s customers have preferred the Scorpio. As far as I know the Scorpio is intended to be a no fuss no muss all around performer that will handle whatever conditions may come up in a day and sits in the middle as far as maneuverability.

I would take a good look at the Current Designs Sirocco. There is a good reason this boat has been around for a long time.

@magooch said:
I would take a good look at the Current Designs Sirocco. There is a good reason this boat has been around for a long time.

I rented one for my ACA IDW… Rolled it on the first try and I am a terrible roller.
You don’t have to roll for the IDW but thought I would try it in spite of having the flu…

Well Iam no were near your size and weight. I have paddled the Etain 17.5 plastic. I think I paddle most of Valleys line. old and new. I also have paddled the Prijons and don’t like those at all. there to boring. There wide and have no rocker. So no rocker generally means more speed but wide means slower. Prijons are heavy as plastic is real thick. So last a long time. I know a guy with 30 year old one. I never paddle any Deltas, I don’t care for design shape though . plus I would think being poly plastic they will cost you more money? I know Eddylines cost more than roto plastic. I would say get the Valley Etain. The BIG one as I thought I was ok in the 17.5 and iam 5’7" 170 lbs. My friend about your size has the 17.7 plastic.