Advice

I have a fiberglass current design kestrel 140x . Truly a wonderful boat . Very pleased with its performance. I am thinking about adding a rudder. There are cable guide ends already in the hull. And a flat ledge for the rudder at the stern. I don’t see a specific rudder available for the 140 x on there web page. I searched lots and found one for the 140 poly.
Are rudder kits a universal thing? Are some better than others?
I don’t think I really “need “ a rudder. But since the cable guides are there I am thinking about adding it.

I wouldn’t normally respond, as I don’t have input on how to add a rudder to this boat. But because you make it sound like you are adding the rudder just because it can take one, so possibly not because you find you need one…

For the paddling I do, I am not a fan of rudders. Most rudder pedals are the slide type, which take away your ability to make a contact with feet, knees and hips all at once. The gas pedal type rudder controls should be better at this, as they do provide a solid contact point for your feet.

Rudders also add to windage, increasing weather cocking (and the need for a rudder).

If I kayak sailed, raced, fished, or did very long tours, I’d probably consider a ruddered boat. Or if the boat had a lot of weather cocking which couldn’t be controlled easily through a skeg (if it has) or edging. Outside of that, I wouldn’t put one on.

Ditto. The only boat I’ve owned that I felt needed a rudder was an 18’ surf ski.

I loved having rudders on my sea kayaks. Didn’t need them unless the winds picked up real bad or hit some serious currents. Much better to have one at the ready then not have one at all.

@DrowningDave said:
I loved having rudders on my sea kayaks. Didn’t need them unless the winds picked up real bad or hit some serious currents. Much better to have one at the ready then not have one at all.

I agree one hundred percent.
I can and do paddle all day long with out using it, but when it is needed I am glad I have it.

Jack L

If it was me… I’d go out on a big body of water on a windy day. That would let me know if I needed to add a rudder. I’ve never owned a boat that didn’t need a rudder or a skeg on a windy day.

Have you tried changing your center of gravity? either by moving your seat or putting some ballast (like a gallon of water) in the stern. This may change your tracking characteristics more than you would think. This is an easy and cheap thing to try before making a big modification.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I don’t think I really need a rudder. But since the boat is all set up for one it seems like and easy thing to do. If I can find one.
The boat sits high in the water. As you can see from my avitar. Definitely affected by the wind. At this point I just get on whichever side it is pushing and paddle against it. Not a huge deal. While drifting down a river it wants to turn sideways and float like a stick . Great fun and makes looking at the scenery easy. I think it is more of a “want a rudder “ Than a “need a rudder”

All we really need is clothes, food and water. Everything else is a want.

There are various strokes to assist in directional control. A stern draw/stern rudder would help keep your boat in your intended direction on the river. So would forward sweeps. I think it’s a good thing to learn (and practice) as many strokes as you can, as you never know when you’ll need them. Even if you add a rudder, it can malfunction. I prefer skegged boats but have had a stone jam the skeg. That’s when practice can really pay off.