Advise: Rolling with a Storm Paddle

That guy in the video has poor roll. His layback roll his arm is way to high. Sure he gets up fine but its a poor roll. Pick a better video.

As far a rolling with a storm, can you roll with a regular length greenland? If not start there. If you have a good technique you wont need to ask this question. In the normal sliding stroke with storm your hand will be on center of loom. Roll up with that hand position. I never took any videos of me rolling with a storm. Nor half a euro. its pretty automatic if you have your greenland roll.

I took a 2 day class with Cheri and Turner many years ago . Well worth it

2 Likes

This is old video. I last hand rolled this qajaq in spring of 2018, never paddled it since early winter 2018 (dec) .
I learned to roll really well with a Euro paddle before I had a greenland stick. I discovered Cheri P when I was trying to get or carve GP. I managed to capture her time at a Lake Michigan training camp and she really improved my short stick roll.
I was proficient at hand rolling for several years but that is long gone. It is a use it or lose it.
I could blow my dry suit up and if the tuilik was dry I might be able to squeak a couple out but… maybe…

7 Likes

When there is ice in the water it should only be in my drink. It hurts watching that video. LOL

2 Likes

as long as you are up and breathing no roll is a bad roll :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like