Advise: Rolling with a Storm Paddle

Has anyone had much experience rolling with a storm paddle?

(I am not seeing much online.)

I realize you do not need anything whatsoever in your hand in order to roll, plus I have read that a storm paddle is a great paddle to learn/practice rolling, and yet (as someone who is still learning to roll) I am wondering if I am missing anything, per technique, due to the paddle’s short length (such as possible extending the paddle during the roll)?

I only paddle with a storm paddle (I am in love with the sliding stroke!), and so want to be able to roll well with this stick.

Thanks for the help!

Have you looked through here?
https://qajaqusa.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=349669&module_id=339252

There are several areas on their website that may be helpful.

Cheers

Brilliant, thank you so much!

I have looked through these, seeing all the hand rolls, nothing storm paddle specific, but info that perhaps I can translate to what I am doing.

I am working mostly off of the ‘This is the Roll’ video with Cheri & Turner.

Thanks again!

Difference is in loom length and not in blade length. For any of the extended paddle rolls you give up 12" - 14" of leverage but, ideally, you shouldn’t need that. For rolls with out an extended paddle you will need on hand on the blade and the other on the loom rather than both on the loom.

Wonderful info, thanks for taking the time!

Let me guess… if you rode a bicycle you would prefer a fixed gear. Having gears makes it too easy. Am I close?

What I’m getting at is paddling and rolling with a Greenland paddle is pretty easy. I’m guessing that wouldn’t be challenging enough for you?

I’m pretty sure this idea isn’t for you but if it was me I’d learn to roll with the easy tool then progress to the more difficult one. First the GP then the storm. Most folks learn to ride a bicycle before the unicycle.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Love the comments, thanks!

Honestly, I AM thinking of purchasing a longer GP, just for learning rolling.

I am just so into the dynamics of the sliding stroke, that’s my desire to learn to roll with this, as I’m going to be paddling with the storm, primarily.

(You mean, these things come with handles?! haha:)

1 Like

I mean gears, haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me… and a lot of other folks… the absolute easiest way to roll is with an EXTENDED Greenland paddle. It’s like cheating. Start from there and go to more challenging.

1 Like

That sounds like sage advise, thanks for taking the time!

I’ll give it a try and see how she goes.

Mark4

It’s not much harder than with a full-length paddle once you get the technique down. That said, several rolls feel no different one paddle or the other if your balance and basic technique is good.

Best advice I could give is to watch various rolling videos on qajaqsa, and see where the techniques overlap. Then try them out, and see how much easier rolls in general get once you get the basics that many of them share down. I learned a Norsaq (Throwing stick) roll early, and that made a huge difference in how easy full length and storm paddle rolls felt. A lot of them look like parlor tricks, but they do serve a purpose in making any kind of roll feel natural in a real capsize situation.

As a funny aside, I took a good trashing on a whitewater trip one time, and only had one hand on the paddle, so I immediately did a butterfly roll without even thinking about it. Got some seriously shocked looks from the rest of the group when I came up. Not quite a roll that whitewater paddlers think of.

1 Like

“wondering if I am missing anything, per technique, due to the paddle’s short length”
I’d say yes to missing a piece of technique, but probably no to the paddle’s length really having much to do with it. But I’m never sure how other people are experiencing the roll. Something that I believe holds true is that the technique for rolling with any paddle is 90% figuring out how to keep the paddle out of the way and keep it from working against you, and 10% getting the useful support from the paddle. I agree with Wayne Smith on “rolls feel no different one paddle or the other if your balance and basic technique is good”, and it seems like you understand that piece. When someone struggles with any type of kayaking technique, it seems there is rarely a shortage of equipment critique. It’s most useful if someone can help you on the water that is willing to accept your equipment, and take on the much, much more difficult task of helping with your technique. It’s always so worthwhile when you get things ironed out. Good luck and have fun!

1 Like

Thank you all, so much!

I’m going to try everything.

Even I scheduled a lesson with Cheri Perry (this will probably be my greatest help:)!

Safe paddling to all!

4 Likes

If you are receptive Cheri will have you hand rolling in a day

4 Likes

I can believe it!

She’s incredible…I’m blessed to live only an hour from her.

My balance brace and sculling for support are strong, so… I am confident she can bring me the rest of the way.

Cheri is amazing. She used to paddle with the same club I do, and watching her do stuff was just wild. She can roll with both arms crossed, and her hands in her armpits. Great instructor, too.

1 Like

I never get tired of watching her (& Turner) rolling!

So beautiful!!

1 Like

The more important part is what you do with your body. Once you have a reliable roll it won’t matter ifnyou roll with a full length paddle or a storm paddle. In some ways bracing is more difficult with a storm paddle than rolling is. For bracing you have to slide the paddle to the necessary side and use it before you capsize. For rolling you have extra time as you have already capsized. And a storm paddle works for bracing with some practice.

1 Like