Aesthetics vs Visibility

To make matters worse…

– Last Updated: Nov-15-04 6:19 PM EST –

My Gray Astral 300 PFD just came in today... GH

Natural Gear
I’ve been using Natural Gear camo for awhile. It blends in better with more environments than anything else I’ve tried. We don’t have no dang hardwood forests in these mountians! It’s even pretty good on the open prairie.

Taj

That’s OK…
…, you’re colorful enough already! L

OK – I ordered my boat today…

– Last Updated: Nov-15-04 8:54 PM EST –

...cranberry red deck, white hull and black trim. Now, if I can come up with a cool name for it!

I'll wear a day-glo green vest or something to be visible. I've already got yellow blades on my Werner paddle.

Thanks for all the feedback.

dougiej

Saint Nick??? L

Making fun…
of my Pistachio boat???

No - you’re personality!
Kind of like the minty hued 'bou too.

I was really close to ordering my PFD in grey too, but didn’t want to look like a Manatee.

oh…

Also

– Last Updated: Nov-16-04 11:52 AM EST –

don’t forget to put Day Glow Green Tape all over your vehicle so folks can spot you on the way to the ramp and not run over you.. *L* Just kidding, what ever floats your boat..

right and maybe you will be good target
Right, then again sometimes better to not be visible, as just gives some a good target! Seriously, maybe marine camoflage best

L
That would be cool a Marine Digital pattern QCC-700!!! That would rock!!

burnt orange deck with…
mint green hull and a burgundy seam. now that’s visible and one sweet looking boat.

by the by i just happen to have a Seaward Ascente HV in these exact colours for sale!

Disruptive camo - Like WWII ships!
Would be cool too.

I mostly prefer when other boats don’t see me - as they sometimes take stupid actions when they do.

yeah
that would be cool!!

Anything but
Navy gray!

N.ever A.gain V.olunteer Y.ourself

I would wear the old Seafarer dungarees if I could find them. The most comfortable “jeans” ever made.

Taj

Seattle grey?
My express is a light seattle grey,got the Necky chatham 18 in grey,light grey is cool

Grayhawk – St. Nick – I love it!!
Lincoln Canoes and Kayaks previously offered only subtle heather and cranberry reds.

I’d been hesitating to order my Chebeague because I wanted the reddest red I could get.

Now Lincoln offers…Candy Apple Red!!

So here’s the color scheme:

Deck color: Candy Apple Red

Hull color: White

Trim (between deck and hull, and around cockpit): Black

Most guys my age get a red sports car, red truck, red motorcycle, or a redhead, so why shouldn’t I get a candy apple red kayak?

I’m thinking of naming it “Midlife Crisis – Averted” Or maybe, “Hot Rod Lincoln” :slight_smile:

I can hardly wait until it’s delivered in March!!

Woo hoo!!

red, red, red
I have a red truck, red over white kayak, red bicycle, and red Yamaha scooter. Midlife crisis? Maybe!

Paula

AKA Thistleback

3 POINTS
1. In my opinion, white is a poor choice…it’s the same color as whitecaps, and can easily be missed in a wind-tossed sea. And isn’t it more likely to be capsized and in need of assistance in a whitecap-filled sea?

2. Expanding on the above point, maybe it’s not too good an idea that the great majority of kayak hulls on composite boats are white. How about a colored tape on the bottom of the hull?

3. In the past, I’ve done a lot of winter paddling alone. During these times I was quite happy to spot other paddlers (it didn’t happen very often), and in every case it was the paddle I noticed first…the motion rather than any color seemed to be what the eyes picked up on first.

. Tony .

Paddle motion
I supect we all notice the paddle motion - but only becase we are so tuned in to it. Other boaters are not and I would not count on that suble pattern registering with non-paddlers. They’ll see hat/PFD.

White cap point is good - but really depends what sort of paddling you do. Nearshore/inshore no big deal. In waves it not going to matter so much as the waves hide you anyway - except from the air or seen from high decks of close vessels (with sharp lookouts).