Aleutian paddle # 2

Aleut number 2

While I was in Ft. Lauderdale I picked up my second Aleutian paddle from Greyak. I have grown very fond of this type of paddle over the last few months. It is extremely versatile, great in rough water, and has a power face that provides more speed than a GP as well as a very stable and controlled face (ridge side aft) for slightly slower but more stable paddling.

The second one I got was significantly lighter, being a laminate with pine and western red cedar pieces for strength and is a two piece version. I asked Greyak to make me one specifically for my travels as I wanted a lightweight eat up the miles paddle to be my main paddle with the Feathercraft Klatwa as my spare. The Klatwa is significantly heavier and a couple of inches shorter and is great for changing up.

Anyway, the paddle is a dream. The loom is slightly smaller than my other Aleut and is not as beefy. It has a really nice flex to it that you barely feel on the water but is pleasant to experience.

My first day with it I paddled it very much like a GP at first and it was not until the end of the day that I was able to get that slight C curve in the swing out (kind of a half wing stroke) that the boat seemed to jump forward and add a half a knot. The following day was even better with a nice pump with the feet/legs, torso rotation, and a slightly higher stroke and I was very pleased with the combination. Each paddle is different and you just have to not overanalyze it and let the paddle and the boat tell you which way to go for optimization. ( I was also trying out my newly built Sea Cruiser with different back band arrangements and seating throughout the day and as you can imagine, this throws your stroke off somewhat until you can get your hips and legs situated properly over time)

My friend Tom came down with me and he ended up buying an Aleutian paddle also and was ecstatic over how much more speed and power it gave him.

Personally, I really do feel that if you already have a GP, you should consider an Aleut as it has some attributes that really expand your paddling experience.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BrazilBrasil1/Paddles#

From left to right:

(Greyaks) Superior carbon Fiber GP

Greyak Woodwing (2 piece)

Greyak Aleutian (twin to mine)

My Feathercraft Klatwa two piece GP

Tom’s GP

Greyak painted Aleutian (Tom bought this one)

My new two piece Aleutian paddle!

Paul

Congrats on the paddle
Thanks for posting the pictures - that does more than anything I’ve read to show the differences between G.P. and Aleutian.

your welcome
like I said, very versatile paddles.

Paul

Painted Aluet

– Last Updated: Feb-02-09 1:38 PM EST –

Just to add to what Paul said, I had no intention of buying another paddle, but after the first 30 seconds paddling with the Greyak's Aleut, I knew I had to have one. After three hours of paddling against wind and current with it, you couldn't pry it from my hand--great paddle.
Tom

A purely subjective opinion:
With the flattish side (It is not actually flat) as the power face, I see a significant increase in speed especially if I rotate a bit more (sort of like a half wing stroke). The paddle flows through the water in sort of an elongated C. I tend to use a slightly higher stroke and follow through with the most power happening at right around my knee. This takes some getting used to as you are rotating just a bit more and using your feet/legs to help you wind up.

With the ridged side aft, you immediately feel comfortable as it is a much more controlled and predictable stroke. You can use it either as a higher angle or lower angle stroke and it will be comfortable. I sometimes switch over to this side if the conditions are really rougher and the boat gets squirrely. It feels much more like a GP and probably this is why it feels a bit more stable.

Both sides are equally usable and feel great. I guess that is one of the main reasons why I like it so much. The versatility of being able to switch sides realy does make this two paddles in one.

Paul

Looks beautifyl!

– Last Updated: Feb-03-09 9:16 AM EST –

Can I have it???? -;)

Being rather new to this, I can still second what has been said here on the Aleut paddle. I made my own and the two sides are distinctly different. The "flat" side is what I use most of the time and it can be used like a regular GP with a lower canted stroke or like a wing with more vertical stroke with a wing-like cant to the opposite direction of the cant in a GP stroke (e.g. creating lift forward).

The rigged side is indeed more stable - less flutter and more predictable path in the water so I too use it if it gets dicey.

I also use a Lumpy GP and that has been great as well. I can't really say which one I prefer - they are just different. I made my Aleut paddle lighter and with narrower blades and grip than the Lumpy GP so it is easier to use on longer distances. It also has considerably more flex due to the material and thinnes and is not quite as strong, where the Lumpy is more rigid, more buoyant, and is stronger so I take that when things are rough. Great to have a choice ;)

That said, I still enjoy the Epic wing - there's nothing better than a wing when you just want to go forward fast...

"you couldn’t pry it from my hand"
Does it cause you to seize up? Carpel tunnel? Sounds serious. I’d get that checked out.

Sooooo…
…you got an Iqyax to go with it ???

Not yet
But I have thought about it. I might put together the Yost wood frame one just to see if I like the boat and if so, I will go the trditional route. No rush. Those are real gear haulers and just like 99 percent of paddlers, I have no real need to carry a 400 lb seal in the back.

Paul

Greyak should post
some comments on the paddles. He is far more knowledgeable than I am.

Paul

Maybe he should go into business?
I am envious. How about it Greyak?

Already in business …
… but only in a small way.

These lesser known paddle types are a niche within a niche within a niche. Probably a good thing for now as I can’t turn that many out. I do them all by hand and they take more time than GPs. More complex shapes, and the little things matter that much more.

Are you interested in an Aleutian paddle? Maybe a hybrid “Woodwing”?

Current prices (likely to increase by $25 Q2 or Q3):

Solid WRC - $225

Laminated 2 piece (with carbon ferrule and epoxy tips) - $325

I charge about $50 Less for a GP, but given the number of other options for decent GPs and my limited access to optimal wood I haven’t made a GP for a while. I can do better things with the same wood. :wink:

Paddles are custom sized and have hand rubbed tung oil finish. Single color stain at no extra charge (with colors on hand - usually somewhat traditional toned down red and ebony). Other finishes, colors, and patterns can be done for an additional charge.

Paddles also come with paddle covers ($20 value, while they last).

Shipping is usually around $40, less for a 2 piece.

Website (in serious need of expansion/update): AKYKA.COM

1 Like