Alright I need statistics

Crykie
You people must be professional typist slinging words onto this forum at the speed of light. Let a man rebutt for cryin out loud. Jed is correct my sales pitch is wrong. That being said, I certainly know that she only wants to paddle on the flats for now and I won’t dare ask her to do the rolling class as I will attend, this is simply to ensure she has the proper skills to save my bum if need be. It sure as H E double hockey sticks wasn’t an option for me to take the Motorcycle Safety Skills class. So guess what…my turn.

listen to that
with some kayaks and some conditions the odds of capsize are next to zero. With low cg women paddlers the odds are even less. I know,I know that’s not a given all the time but it really does matter if we’re talking about a 6’ 190#man in a 22" wide kayak or a 140# 5’5" woman in a 24" kayak. The higher cg male paddler in the 22" wide kayak WILL dump in 1’ waves without bracing skills compared to the woman without bracing skills.

The other issue is an ill defined fear of “what’s down there”. That can be visceral and not to be glossed over with your enthusiasm to get wet.

My ex decided she would paddle with me from the beach around a point to the harbor. When we started off at the beach she was almost in tears,understand I did not want to do this. She was a swimmer with infinitely greater swimming skills than I had. But she was also a bit claustrophobic/agoraphobic. It was pure torture the whole time. She had a general phobia of what’s “down there” below the cockpit.

You take the class
save the $200 for rolling/private instruction. If you are going to be relying on her to save your butt when she clearly doesn’t want to paddle in conditions where those skills are necessary for survival you’re in over your head,and responsible for putting both of you there.

My my my

– Last Updated: May-04-06 10:45 PM EST –

Whatever happened to the statistics? My level of aggravation has risen to the point where I might come across rude so I'll leave it at that. I want to point out that it is ultimately her decision to take or not to take the class not mine and that's her perogative.

Thanks for the posts.

Next topic.

I loved Otis
He was delicious! Couldn’t tell the difference between Otis and Arnold Ziffel.

She Wokked Ma Dog.
If I did not think this was tragically sad I would think this would make a hillarious Country Western Song. The first time I saw you post something about that my faithful dog Sundance was sitting next to me cocking her head to one side with this very questioning look.

statistics for what?
you’re getting responses from some people who teach sea kayaking.

What kind of statistics do you want?

by the way $200 for two full days is a good price for what you’re going to learn.

Take her down to the coast
Find a spot with about 3 to 4’ breaking surf. Paddle out then try turning around and coming back in. Make sure you have life insurance and a will. If she does not give up on kayaking she will probably ask for some lessons.

My lesson-less experience…

– Last Updated: May-04-06 11:54 PM EST –

Well, a few months into my paddling, a friend did give me a half-hour rolling lesson, but other than that, I've had no formal training. I've read books and watched videos, and they certainly have helped, but for the most part, I learned to paddle on the water...paddling solo.

For the past almost nine years, I've paddled in all sorts of coastal and open water conditions (again, mostly solo), and I'm happy to report that in spite of myself, I'm still alive! :-) In addition to the Pawlata roll I learned during that one half-hour rolling lesson years ago, with the help of books and videos, I've learned several other rolls, and when I've needed them (only a few times over the years; always in big surf), they've never failed me. So it seems that one can indeed learn from books and videos; as long as one is willing to practice...a lot! :-)

There's always more to learn and practice, so while I won't rule out taking a course for this or that in the future, I must say that I've really enjoyed learning as I have; with the boat, paddle, water, and weather as my primary teachers (a least in terms of becoming comfortable in various conditions, and refining my paddling techniques along the way). I've also read books on navigation, weather, and tides/currents, and these have been very helpful as well.

I'm all for people taking courses if that's the way they feel most comfortable learning, but from my own experience, I'd have to say that it can be a great deal of fun to learn as I have as well. To each our own. :-)

Melissa

Try another tack
Find her an all-women’s class where she isn’t going to feel that she is being hammered by guys about what matters. They are getting easier to find in active kayaking areas.

As to why - because it’s fun, because on a hot day you can take a dunk without having to be rescued, because on a windy day you can make it home without your arms falling off, because at the end of a regular paddle your wrists won’t hurt.

You want statistics?
100% of the times that I have told my wife that we “need” to do so and so she has hated it.

Don’t push your luck and enjoy the time you spend on the water together.

complete agree-ness
This is what i am having my fiance do…else she would drop me so fast if i tried to teach her!!!

and it was her idea of honeymooning the M.I.T.!!!

There was someone here a while back
asking all the same questions, also from SC. Last I heard they had ordered a Kruger Sea Wind and a QCC kayak, 700 I think. 2 of the nicest boats around - about $6K total. Then the poster disappeared.I have to wonder if the boats will ever be paddled.

two types of people
My experience has shown that in most things there are two types of people:

One type reads the instructions first while the other type reads the instructions when they find they need to.

The other type just jumps in and “does it” while the first type wants their hand held whenever faced with something new.

As one of the “just do it” crowd I have little patience for the other side’s pendantic deliberativeness.

I would suspect your wife is like me – just use the dang boat and we’ll figure it out.

The absolute worst thing you could do to a “just do it” type is to make them attend a class where they may very well lose all interest due to the huge – and inevitble – boredom factor.

agreed
Learning theory talks about two extremes relative to how different people process information. The “read the instructions” types are called “reflective learners” and the “just do it” types are called “active learners”. One group indeed wants to understand things before they do anything while the other group wants to shoot first and ask questions later. It is futile to try to teach either group using an ill-fitting program.

If the posters wife is indeed an “active learner” than she and only she can decide when or even if she wants / needs instruction. It is not possible for people to learn without a frame of reference. “Action learners” develop their frame of reference once they hit the wall or find they are not able to do something. “Reflective learners” have to overcome an inherent need to understand the basics and scope of something before they are able to start anything.

Each of us has a unique learning style. One size definitely does not “fit all”.

The instructor he has selected
gives you your money’s worth.After a day with Ray, you have talked it and then done it- a lot.You don’t get bored.

Other questions/comments

How much kayaking have you two done?

A two day course would be overwhelming for many people. It’s a possible that you’d learn or retain more by splitting this up.

$200 for a two day course this comprehensiv doesn’t seem too out of line.

are you hereing what u want to here?
lessons are great- for anyone who wants them : ) if this is a survey then i have had almost no lessons (one informal pool rolling session) BUT i did stay at a holiday motel and i love paddling several times each week.

don’t be a
"by the book only’ weenie… Toss her a paddle and let her follow along. Maybe in time she will decide she would like some help. Let her decide.

paddle safe, LJB.

Active learner for sure

– Last Updated: May-05-06 10:58 AM EST –

I am indeed an active learner myself. I don't want anybody telling me how to operate anything, let me figure it out on my own. In the case of this activity, I really feel a strong foundation is needed since neither of us has paddled a Kayak. We have both been in a canoe eons ago (20 + years). I really appreciate the feedback and differing opinions. Ray is a great guy, his prices are fair especially given what he offers, and he has indicated his classes have more women than men on occassion.. I don't think this is too much in 2 days, as a matter of fact I think it would be a cake walk. We are both fast learners and she is willing to take the course, she just doesn't see the need. As I have previously stated, she will drop this like a hot iron if she gets out there and gets frustrated b/c she can't figure out how to paddle / maneuver the thing. All I wanted the stats for is to give her a hard time (joking is cool in the household) about it. So there is no need to "read into" what I am saying, it wasn't necessarily a serious request. Given the light conversations I have had on here previously, I thought I might get some ammo. Obviously this is a great topic to discuss, but I think it got a little to serious. I really do appreciate the posts though, it gives me something to think about next time I approach my wife about it.