Also looking at a Seda Swift

After looking at this kayak I believe it may offer a good ride. As mentioned in my other post I am looking for an efficient boat (so I don’t tire out) that will work in a variety of locations such as lakes (mostly) occasional rivers and a trip or three to Puget Sound. The more reading I do the more I think the Solstice GTS and Ascente may not offer the turning capabilties I seek. One thing that bugs me a little bit about the boat is it is shallow at 11". For not weather cocking that may be great. But I am 6’1" and my height is in my torso not my legs so I feel very tall sitting in it. :slight_smile: Maybe I will get over it… The price seems right for these boats as Seaward may be a bit to much. Especially considering the PFD, Paddle and roof rack will add another $600 to the bill… Advice please…

Purely perception …

– Last Updated: Feb-14-08 2:08 AM EST –

If you like the fit of the boat, it will be all of 15 minutes before you come to love the 11" deck height for efficient paddle placement and tossabout handling you get with a boat that does not have a bloated, useless high peaked foredeck. 6'1" is no problem with this boat.

Forgot to add, I have several paddle customers over 6'1" using this boat already for all -round ocean play, racing and Baja touring. Composite construction techniques by SEDA are the some of the best in the industry.

Seriously considering this boat
so after researching I believe the Seda Swift will be a good boat in terms all around handling. Although it is a little wider than I thought I wanted I believe it will be ok. As for the build, there are some features such as fiberglass bulkheads as opposed to plastic on Seawards boats, and the fact that the bulkheads are tappered in to reduce stress cracking at the joints. The biggest thing is bang for the buck. It seems this boat is just as good if not better than Seaward and hundreds cheaper. Any thoughts?

Sure
why not get a QCC700? I am 6’1" and it fits me perfect, surfs, can carry lot of equipment, great all around kayak.

Test Paddling
kayaks seems to be a must do to ensure I get something I like right. So I am limited to dealers in the local area and their equipment. I guess I could drive to Seattle, however supporting local businesses is important to me. It is nice to have them around when you need assistance etc… Looks like a nice boat though.

Looking again!
Wow! After reading some reviews and checking out the web site they also seem to have really nice products. I wonder if the 700 may be a bit to much. Maybe the 500 would be better. I am so confused! :frowning: This buying a kayak thing is rough. I should just buy one that seems good for me and as I progress and have the opportunity to test more boats over time I can re-evaluate later… Haaaaa…

You’re RUSHING Into a Purchase
Slow down, big fella.

This is a major purchase and you want to TRY to get it right…

I say “try” because there are soooo many of us who have gone before you and have purchased NUMEROUS high-dollar kayaks before settling in with our favorite(s).

I’ll re-read your post and try to give you some advice…

Glenn

The 700 is NOT a River Kayak
But neither is the SEDA Swift.

I’ve used the Swift on rivers, however, and it turns nicely.

What kinda rivers we talkin’ here? Big, slow or narrow, fast or big, fast…

Makes a big difference.

Okay, you’re 6’1", but how old are you, what’s your weight, where do you carry your weight? Belly, shoulders???

I was a SEDA dealer for years. They are great yaks. This said, there are numerous other great yaks out there. Without more specifics on age, weight, and intended use, however, no one on this board can answer you accurately…

Glenn

Thanks!

– Last Updated: Feb-16-08 1:21 PM EST –

Well I am 37 years old. I weight about 190lbs. I guess my weight is fairly evenly distributed. As for paddling rivers, it would be last on my things to do and it would only be on wide slow rivers. Mostly I will paddle lakes but I will definitely take the time to get over to Puget Sound to paddle the coast. One of my things is quality. For the amount of cash we are spending its expected. Customer service is also big on the list. Unfortunately I feal that many retailers (in general) don't take care of their customers. Back to the subject at hand. There are so many manaufatures out there and so many boats it could take years of testing to find you find one that "fits". For example, I go to a symposium and paddle 10 kayaks. If I am in the market chances are I will buy one of the ten I tried that I like the best. But who is to say the 11th boat wouldn't be better for me. *shrug* I am leaning to more of an intermeadiate to advanced boat however. The reason: I can't afford to replace this boat anytime soon so I don't want to grow out of it. I would rather get dumped into the water a few time learning. I started looking at purchasing a kayak 3 years ago. Went to the Symposium in Port Townsend etc. At this point I have the money and really want to be on the water. Everytime I go by a body of water I just think about how relaxing it would be to be out there enjoying myself. Maybe that is where some of my frustration is coming from.

So the QCC boats look like they scream quality and the reviews seem to be testments to that. From what everyone is saying customer service is top notch. Also with this company I can get into kevlar for the price of fiberglass from other manufactures.... Please advise.... Thanks again for all the help.....

The Boats I’ve Liked
The Current Designs Caribou S was one of the best yaks I’ve ever paddled. It’s about 18’ long and a bit less than 22" wide. This is a tough kayak to grow out of; it does most everything well. It would even be okay on slow, wide rivers.

You’d outgrow the SEDA Swift almost immediately. Sorry SEDA, a 24" yak with a rudder doesn’t compete with the skegged 22" yaks out there. Take a look at the Ikkuma 17 if you want a SEDA.

I paddle a NDK Romany Explorer, which is a BIG water sea kayak. Also look at the Boreal Design Ellesmere.

I’ve not paddled a QCC (don’t like rudders), but they get good reviews. I like more rocker, like on the Explorer, Ellesmere, Caribou S, Romany 16’ (slow but fun).

You’d outgrow a 24" wide yak. I like Kevlar (expensive, but light). Unless you’d be around a LOT of rocks, it is the way I’d go…

My 2 cents…

Glenn

QCC700/rivers

– Last Updated: Feb-16-08 7:36 PM EST –

handels great on large and small rivers, even really narrow ones, and being smaller than the Seda (in length and width) it should be better on rivers. The QCC500 is going to be slower and sit higher on the water, so more exposed to winds, though it will be more stable.

Excellent quality and customer service, go for the carbon/kevlar to reduce weight, and get the thigh braces, really important in controlling it in waves and for rolling. Easy kayak to roll.