Alum Grumman 14' canoe for hunting?

I need a craft for hunting (waterfowl) which means the typical water hazards in addition to thin to thick ice. I’ve been borrowing an Old Towne Laker 16 (fiberglass) and am considering a cheaper old old (60’s?) alum Grumman ~14’ two seater.

I’ll also be carring an additional person + decoys, gear, etc, so this needs to be stable of course. The Laker has proven pretty stable.

Which will stand up better to my use do you think?

Thanks for your replies.

wish the ducks
could shoot back.

Thanks for your worthless reply…
Why can’t folks on message boards the internet over manage to stay focused on the subject?

Nice…

– Last Updated: Jan-01-07 7:36 PM EST –

Recreational hunters (state license and Federal Duck Stamp fees) and hunting organizations (Ducks Unlimited in particular) are a HUGE source for wetland conservation funding. Don’t be so quick to condemn.

I don’t duck hunt myself but I would think a 14’ would be a tight squeeze for 2 hunters and gear, especially if you plan on shooting from said canoe. It might get you out to the blind but I wouldn’t expect a lot more than that. Something in the 16’ range with a bit more beam, 36”+, would probably be a lot more comfortable and stable. Aluminum or Polyethylene would be good materials to go with if you’re busting a lot of ice, durable but heavy. The poly would be quieter and not as cold as the aluminum.

ETA: It wouldn't be a bad thing if paddlers bought duck stamps annually, $.98 of every $1 go toward wetland purchases and leases.
http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/Info/Stamps/stampinfo.htm

hunting canoe
Hey I went out duck hunting yesterday with another hunter, two bags of decoys, some camo netting, two guns misc. gear in a 18 ft sundowner and we were tight till we unloaded. we didn’t hunt from the boat though. If you get a longer canoe it will be more efficiant to paddle to your hunting spot and during the off season on a local river. Aluminum will be colder but might be better for breaking ice.

I’m an aluminum boat kind of guy
I can’t imagine anything being better than a 14 foot Grumman for what you want to do. I wish I could find another one for Eagle watching on the Upper Delaware River.

Jon boat
Duck/Goose hunter around here use a Jon boat or their bass boat to get to their hunting area. The goose hunter stays and sits in his boat. Funny thing is, his decoys are all larger than the actual geese in this area. But he does bag a few.

As to those that are anti hunting. Your opinions are respected. But allow those that do hunt, not only for sport and food, respect also.

It likely would be helpful if the animals didn’t reproduce as they do. Then we wouldn’t have to do the annual harvesting to keep many from starving. I can’t imagine the consequences if harvesting were not allowed.

Most hunters eat what they harvest or find local families and/or charities to donate it to. We always have and while growing up, my father put a lot of meat (protein) on our table, when we had no money for store bought meat. The family also did the garden thing to help out. Every family does not have middle to upper class jobs to support their families.

Happy New Year to all!

Hey Suntan…
Can you talk to me about stability of the Grumman? For various reasons I won’t have a chance to get it wet before comitting to buying it. Beam does appear many inches narrower than the OT I’m borrowing now.

Others I’ve asked have expressed concern about two people in it. Though we won’t really be hunting from it, if the opp arises (pass shooting en route to blind) I’ll take it.

Thanks!

Aluminum
The big advantage is that you can leave it outside without worrying about it. The disadvantages are that it’s cold, noisy, and reflective. If you’re going to leave ift anywhere near the blind, make sure it’s well concealed. You can paint it, but it never lasts on the gunwales, and the birds are looking down from above. Camo tape on the gunwales will work better than paint.

I wouldn’t use aluminum
For 2 reasons.

One–transfers cold really well. An aluminum boat will make you cold.

two–Aluminum is loud. A good plastic or glass boat will be much quieter.

Just my $.02 worth

Short Grummans are not narrow
Tandem canoes shorter than 15 typically get wider to provide the bouyancy needed to float two paddlers and their gear. The added width also makes up for the loss of stability as the canoe becomes shorter.

A 14’ tandem will be a tight fit for two plus gear, but you aren’t paddling on a long trip. The usual aluminum shortcomings of noise and cold can be lessened by adding some closed cell foam or outdoor carpet inside the hull and some foam pipe insulation over the gunwales to silence paddle hits and hide the reflections off the polished aluminum. You can wrap the thwarts and cover the seats and decks with burlap to hide the aluminum.

The aluminum will still be noisey if you scrape against anything in the water like branches and rocks, but it won’t be at risk in the cold like an old fiberglass hull, which can be quite brittle depending on condition and layup.

Bill

Ye, Alum Is Loud
There is just no way to be quiet in an Alum canoe. Its always making noise somehow

Grummans are as flat bottom as they
come and have a full length keel. There’s no tumblehome or rocker. I guess the only way to make a Grumman more stable would be with a square stern or some kind of outriggers. I used to use mine for self-rescue and re-entry drills and had to lean over the gunnel to get it to throw me out.

My wife and I would go out in it on flatwater grossing out at least 500 pounds.

Waves and rollers are a different story.

I’m almost sorry I asked!!
Nothing like experience, which is why I queried this group - thank you for your replies! Many very good points, none of which heavily tip the scales either way - I was hoping there’d be a unanimous consensus!

I think concern for my safety (cold-effect on material) will trump the noise concern with occasional stalking I do on the water (waterfowling is usually not done from the boat so noise isn’t such an issue).

Thanks for the help.