always know - that you don’t always know

Loser
I would prefer not to be bashed, but I just wanted to make sure that if someone wanted to bash someone over the article, they bashed me, the author, instead of willi_h2o, the poster. Because he’s a really nice guy.

I’m not willing to accept that the web has to be that way. I think as a community, we can change it if we try hard enough.

Anonymity ruins the internet. Apparently it’s like an escape from reality for many people.

For instance, if I say I don’t use a PFD and I listen to the radio while paddling my kayak through the middle of nowhere…I can expect to be completely flamed. The problem is when people do NOT expect to be flamed.

Everything posted here (to me) is probably 90% positive, but people will always focus on that 10% that’s negative and counter to what they believe. That’s just human nature, IMO.

I may have missed the point
I got the the impression that the prime point was bashing the commentators. Maybe that’s because of the way it was written. Maybe its (more likely) because I didn’t read it carefully enough, because I don’t take internet chatter all that seriously and I’m not much of a blog reader. I would take it more seriously (and read it more carefully) if it was published in reviewed hard copy publication. Anyone can say anything on the net, and they often do.

So if I misread it, I apologize.

As for the solution, I’m all for idealism but I don’t think the internet communication styles are going to change even within our generally friendly little community.

And to be honest, I think the commentators made some entirely valid points in response to the article. If their tone was quite poor it’s because the writer came across (if taken seriously) as a fool. So they were trolled, and they struck the bait vigorously. Typical internet.:slight_smile: I just don’t see it as anything to draw conclusions about the kayak community from. Yes, there’s always going to be that unruly element out there.

Bait
The article wasn’t to be taken seriously, the author writes self-deprecating and humorous travel articles. The kayakers heard about or read about this “fool” and jumped all over him without realizing that he wasn’t writing “serious” trip reports. There was no bait given to try and trap the commenters. It’s just sloppy reading and nativity. If they would have asked constructive questions and been answered, it would have been more beneficial to everyone commenting and reading the article. And, frankly, more healthy for the kayaking community as a whole.

pst. lookie here
Check out some of the comments here: http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1463083

See the assumptions instead of questions.

Obituaries - We hate them
No one likes reading about paddlesport deaths - it sucks

Judgment is the one item unavailable on a store shelf.

Being cautious and well-prepped enhances survival.

Paddling in groups, asking questions, actively seeking

to expand a knowledge-base of paddlesports is vital

to a lifelong pursuit of happiness on the water.

When we think we know it all - mothernature pops out

to kick us in the teeth with a humility reminder.

Heeding the advice of others Before we go out,

helps to alleviate many of the smaller oh,oh’s and oops