An entanglement never encountered before

I took my Pyrahna Speeder out for a quick spin. I had to walk over some rocky terrain to get to my launch point so I wore an old pair of Merril watershoes with laces instead of my usual neoprene slip ons. I have changed the WW footboard for adjustable footpegs, and have NRS float bags in the nose.

After about 3 hours paddling I wanted to pull my knees up and found that one of my laces had knotted itself around the float fill tube and could not pull my foot up, I had to pry off my shoe using a broken down paddle to get loose.

I often paddle alone and thought I was very safety oriented, it sure made me think that I was one blown roll away from having a very bad afternoon.

Good discovery to make nm

Im surprised its not common knowledge
that laced things and kayak footpegs and float tubes dont mix

I learned kayaking with a club and it was stressed early on that lace shoes were a nono…

Back in the 80’s the dark ages.

While at it…
I avoid straps for the same reason. But in fairness, there are a lot of very decent water shoes out there now which did not exist when I started paddling and have a short run of laces. Boats matter too. In my tight fitting WW boat I can’t get anything other than a sock in there. But the greying of paddlers means more people are using creekers, where a real shoe is possible.

oh yeah
the window to No. 1 accidents

loose anything will find the way into under between over switches, and off course wanna be switches eg electrical tape on wires…hose/wires on unseen sharp edges…

I had a soda can roll under the 544’s brake pedal on a step hill next to a cliff…we went down the road backwards next to the upside cliff…

spin car slam on brakes come to stop middle road.

all objects can be fixed down…Velcro/electrical tape/clamps/1/8th" shock cord…tried breaking 1/8th shock cord ? as if entangled with the shock corded bailer ?

oh yeah
the window to No. 1 accidents

loose anything will find the way into under between over switches, and off course wanna be switches eg electrical tape on wires…hose/wires on unseen sharp edges…

I had a soda can roll under the 544’s brake pedal on a step hill next to a cliff…we went down the road backwards next to the upside cliff…

spin car slam on brakes come to stop middle road.

all objects can be fixed down…Velcro/electrical tape/clamps/1/8th" shock cord…tried breaking 1/8th shock cord ? as if entangled with the shock corded bailer ?

what is a 544?

Vintage Volvo
The 544 was a postwar Volvo model from the late 40’s to the mid 60’s. Cool retro-looking car – one of my college housemates drove one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_PV444/544

Lace pocket
My water shoes have a pocket at the top of the tongue. Shove the laces in there and fasten it down with the velcro closure, and there are no loose ends to tangle anything.

Apparently, not all water shoes have such, or OP was not using. My shoes are 7-year old Solomons.

~~Chip

Trim the shoelaces to a shorter length
then replace the aglet.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/agletrepair.htm

Or cover the laces with duct tape.

My summer and winter water shoes
are pull ons.

Go Native & Paddle Barefeet!
If it isn’t too cold, of course!

Try soccer lace covers

– Last Updated: Aug-15-16 6:15 PM EST –

We soccer players figured this out years ago. An inexpensive option. You don't need to throw out your current shoes. An example.
http://www.lacecovers.com/

You can find similar items for a few bucks on Amazon and you don't have to shell out the big money for different shoes.

Laces in boats
I only canoe, but I have wondered about laces on the river. I do see a lot of neoprene booties among the few WW canoeists I know.

My first shoes were Solomon Techamphibians that had a little storage pocket for the kevlar laces as booztalkin describes. I thought it was a great solution, although the kevlar laces were somewhat expensive to replace.

Now I have Astral Brewers, a standardly laced shoe, and I have often wondered whether the laces could get in the way some day. Sometimes I tuck the loops of the laced shoe under the tightened laces but they could probably still pull out.

Anyone else wear laces on the river?

Designed by MB engineers 1946 for the Swedish family: woods n dirt.

1 n 3 Stock Sedan Lemans '52.

See in Google Images n Urine Swedish Rally

We’re the last over the road

544 in NA n abt 5 OA.

Laces on rivers
Sure - I wear LLBean boots quite a bit when tripping but generally I have a pair of Tingly over boots, not always. Kayaking I mostly wear neoprene booties with a zipper on the side.

bulkhead
safer and less prone to failure than pegs, tuck the fill tubes on the air bags out of the way and in a way where they won’t put stress where they connect to the float bag or you’ll have to replace or repair the air bags.

Booties have zippers (what i wear most often) but readily admit I’ve worn old tennis shoes with laces a lot as well. Double knot them- helps keep them on your feet in a rough swim as well.

All my buddies love their astrals- great traction but the soles peel (shoe goo required) and they collect sand and gravel when your hiking or dragging down the creek bed. I’m just too cheap to buy them.

I believe you’re safer with your shoes on than with them off (stashed behind the seat). If you swim or have to hike out after losing your boat you’ll be glad you have them on your feet.

Long time ago, when I had a Peugeot 503, I washed and waxed a 544 for one of my friends. Nice car. Used Blue Coral polish and wax, if I recall correctly, and when done, the paint looked showroom new. Then I bought an Austin America 1100 and then a Triumph TR-3 (with overdrive)… Thanks for refreshing my memory. Rally on

Laces
If you wear water shoes with laces, you can always wear spats to cover them up, the button-hook fits nicely in a pfd pocket.

safety
I am reminded of the movie 127 Hours, where Aron Ralston loses his arm due to a freak accident. ALWAYS carry a whistle and tell someone where you are going BEFORE you go, or leave a note on your vehicle windshield and or at your home.