An Iowa fatality

It seems that the fellow had some experience, so who knows what happened. How unfortunate for his family and friends.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2017/01/23/authorities-release-id-kayaker-who-died/96966060/?hootPostID=dfa409f56a7dbf4c3e6ac3d423b23181

so sad for family, friends and his paddling community. I’m left wondering if he was dressed for immersion or was wearing a pfd?

The article states: “Responders on the scene did not know whether or not Kingham was wearing a life jacket when his boat capsized, said Maj. Brent Long of the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.”

Nor is there any mention of water temperature.

A tragic event.

Tragic, I will be wearing a dry suit and PFD for today’s paddle in SC, air 64, water 53. Looking forward to getting out as it is sunny and not raining.

This death shows that even if you’re very experienced, like this kayaker, you need to wear a PFD, and if the water is cold, you need to wear a dry suit.

In light of the large amount of experience which this kayaker had, I wonder why he capsized? He was 70, and may have had a heart attack or some other health problem. But regardless of the reason that he capsized, his chances of surviving would have been much better if he had been wearing a PFD and a dry suit. He was kayaking with a friend, who could have pulled him to shore even if he was unconscious.

What is the name of that reflex when you get dumped in cold water causes you to take a breath in…whether you are on the surface or not?

It’s called a gasp reflex, and if you are a flat water paddler and not acclimated to being soaked, pounded or thrown into very cold water it is almost impossible to control. Very likely what happened to him. Also note in none of the pictures is he wearing a PFD or even an inflatable PFD. Pictures when not competing have no PFD, no skirt, and street clothes.

two pictures of him in surfski and kayak and no jacket on in either as stated above, Sad RIP. Could of had a heart attack or something else. PFD at the very least doesn’t leave people searching for you as long as with no PFD usually. Unless you’re in a sanctioned competition with someone following you a PFD should be mandatory. I wear drysuit till minimum 60* F. 60*-67* two pieces, tropos pants and paddling top and under layers.

Law here in NYS and I think USCG is boat under 21 or 25 feet you need to wear a PFD Nov. 1st to April 1st I think but it should be May 1st. Guess it would apply to kayaks also.

I’ve been thinking about Kingham’s death. Every paddler death on the water is troubling, but this one especially so. He was an accomplished racer with years of experience.

If he had a heart attack while training, fell out of his kayak and drowned, it would be easier to understand. But the autopsy report only mentioned drowning.

I looked up the water temp for the Des Moines River that day. It was in the 36F range. I can’t imagine any experienced paddler training in water that temperature not wearing at a minimum a wetsuit and head covering (and a PFD), but we don’t know what he was or wasn’t wearing other than it appears there was no PFD when his body was found.

I also think about complacency creep and its effect on decision making.

Complacency leads to many deaths in sports, workplace, and even driving down the road. Could of had heart attack and still drowned.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Law here in NYS and I think USCG is boat under 21 or 25 feet you need to wear a PFD Nov. 1st to April 1st I think but it should be May 1st. Guess it would apply to kayaks also.

Laws vary by state and the Coast Guard has nothing to do with it
http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Cold_Weather_PFD_Law

Not worth speculating on the cause of death… Ice canoeists do not wear PFD’s either.

This “cold water boot camp” video provides an excellent explanation of why you need to wear a PFD and a dry suit when recreating on cold water. Watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc&feature=player_embedded

@kayamedic said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

Laws vary by state and the Coast Guard has nothing to do with it
http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Cold_Weather_PFD_Law

Not worth speculating on the cause of death… Ice canoeists do not wear PFD’s either.
not sure if the river he was on fits the bill but many do.

33 CFR Ch. I (7–1–06 Edition)

2.36 Navigable waters of the United States, navigable waters, and territorial waters.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, navigable waters of the United States, navigable waters, and territorial waters mean, except where Congress has designated them not to be navigable waters of the United States:
(1) Territorial seas of the United States;
(2) Internal waters of the United States that are subject to tidal influence; and
(3) Internal waters of the United States not subject to tidal influence that:
(i) Are or have been used, or are or have been susceptible for use, by themselves or in connection with other waters, as highways for substantial interstate or foreign commerce, notwithstanding natural or man-made obstructions that require portage, or
(ii) A governmental or non-governmental body, having expertise in waterway improvement, determines to be capable of improvement at a reasonable cost (a favorable balance between cost and need) to provide, by themselves or in connection with other waters, as highways for substantial interstate or foreign commerce.
(b) Navigable waters of the United States and navigable waters, as used in sections 311 and 312 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, as amended, 33 U.S.C. 1321 and 1322, mean:
(1) Navigable waters of the United States as defined in paragraph (a) of this section and all waters within the United States tributary thereto; and
(2) Other waters over which the Federal Government may exercise Constitutional authority.

So…
Where are PFD’s mentioned? You cited where the CG has influence.

Now cite me pertinent facts about PFD use and the Coast Guard.

You strike me as just wanting to argue what you think the CG ought to do.

My thoughts exactly. It would make sense that here in Wisconsin, the Mississippi River and the lower Fox River would certainly qualify as “navigable”, what with all the commercial shipping traffic, but the Coast Guard has no say regarding what the PFD requirements are in this state, and has no physical presence here that I’ve ever seen. The State of Wisconsin boating regulations are practically an exact copy of the Coast Guard regulations, except there’s no mention of required PFD use on boats under a certain length. Sheriffs, game wardens, and local police all enforce boating rules, and as much as those folks wish people would wear their PFDs, all they can actually do is ascertain whether or not there’s at least one wearable PFD per person, somewhere within the boat.

@kayamedic said:
So…
Where are PFD’s mentioned? You cited where the CG has influence.

Now cite me pertinent facts about PFD use and the Coast Guard.

You strike me as just wanting to argue what you think the CG ought to do.

Its a discussion not argument. 5 states have enacted the law. Experience will not keep you warm in cold water.

Wow my mistake…
But one mistake I will not make is going out ill prepared and dying. The more experience someone has the less sympathy I have for them when the get into a bad situation. Has I think of the North Face accident there is a whole group of people making mistakes. I would never paddle with someone ill prepared for conditions my own safety is burden enough without adding to it.

Ice on the Rappahannock River
As part of the ACA’s role to educate all facets of the paddlesports community, please make sure you follow your local laws, and stay safe out on the water.

Did you know that five states have created new mandatory lifejacket wear laws that apply in cold weather months?

Connecticut

Lifejackets must be worn by anyone in a manually propelled vessel from October 1 through May 31 (must be a Type I, II, III, V or V-hybrid)

Maine

All persons canoeing or kayaking on the Saco River between Hiram Dam and the Atlantic Ocean between January 1 and June 1st must be wearing a lifejacket.

Massachusetts

Lifejackets must be worn from September 15 - May 15 when operating a canoe or kayak.

New York

No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November 1st and May 1st, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Pennsylvania

Beginning November 1 and lasting through April 30, boaters are required to wear a lifejacket while underway or at anchor on boats less than 16 feet in length or any canoe or kayak.

Special thanks to our partners at the National Safe Boating Council for sharing this information with paddlers.

PFD= preparation for fighting drowning!!!

I was kayaking early last summer when a paddler suddenly got dizzy and his eyes rolled back and over he went. I maneuvered my kayak over to his over turned kayak and did Hand Of God rescue. The one rescue I have never practiced but new how to do. I pulled him up as he was coming out of the water he then became conscious. he started spitting up some water and seemed to be fine. He wasn’t coming out of his boat as it was not moving which you typically see when some one is wet exiting a over turned kayak. Maybe something like that happened to this guy but no one there to pull him up out of the water.

Oh the guy I pulled up went to the doctor and they could find nothing wrong with him.

@dc9mm said:
I was kayaking early last summer when a paddler suddenly got dizzy and his eyes rolled back and over he went. I maneuvered my kayak over to his over turned kayak and did Hand Of God rescue. The one rescue I have never practiced but new how to do. I pulled him up as he was coming out of the water he then became conscious. he started spitting up some water and seemed to be fine. He wasn’t coming out of his boat as it was not moving which you typically see when some one is wet exiting a over turned kayak. Maybe something like that happened to this guy but no one there to pull him up out of the water.

Oh the guy I pulled up went to the doctor and they could find nothing wrong with him.

He was lucky twice.