Anas Acuta High Volume

translation
anyone gota translation or his thoughts other than it was too big for him?

Paul

shouldn’t say this
but that is one ugly looking boat. Hopefully it handles a lot better than it looks here. I will find out tomorrow as I am going to Sweetwater to demo it and the Anas Acuta as well as everything else I can.

Paul

Silhouette
Jeff has two I believe…you may want to hook up with him.

paul

Greyak…have you seen the Black Pearl
http://thomassondesign.com/edoc/eblackpearl.php

I saw your posting regarding one of Bjorn’s boats. Do you know about the Black Pearl. This strip model might be of interest to you. Bjorn will customize this strip version of an East Greenland SOF based upon your measurements. Or…an anthropometically designed strip boat.

I have plans, and will build once I finish my sof…or I may build the OI first…will see.

Bob

smooth and refined
are certainly two words I would associate with you.

:slight_smile:

I personally don’t care for the recluse either, but I am curious about what you mean about simplified hull? What does that mean? How could you complicate it and make it better?

Greyak…have you seen the Black Pearl?

http://thomassondesign.com/edoc/eblackpearl.php

I saw your posting regarding one of Bjorn’s boats. Do you know about the Black Pearl. This strip model might be of interest to you. Bjorn will customize this strip version of an East Greenland SOF based upon your measurements. Or…an anthropometically designed strip boat.

I have plans, and will build once I finish my sof…or I may build the OI first…will see.

Bob

Black Pearl
I looked long and hard at the black pearl before deciding to get the SOF. No need for it now. The Hunter on the other hand or the boat that Greyak likes are two different things altogether!

Paul

re: Black Pearl
I am real curious as to how I will use the Black Pearl. Bjorn frequently will use it as a day boat. Hope to have it built by the end of the summer…will let you know.

Bob

The Pearl
I got to paddle Bjørn’s Black Pearl last summer at a qajaq symposium. I was able to compare it with the Qaanaaq 512 which I had been using the previous couple of hours.

I think the Black Pearl is the better boat. The Qaanaaq 512 is quite prone to weathercock while the Pearl was more neutral. As for rolling the two boats felt pretty equal.

I wish I had the skills, tools, shop, patience and energy to build one of my own.

/Peter

re: The Pearl
pjunold…

I really appreciate your comments, as there are very few folks who have paddled and/or built the Black Pearl. Bjorn enlarged the deck somewhat to take into account my larger size. On my design, the length is 18’6", beam is 19 1/2", and the cockpit depth to shear (at the front of the cockpit) is 10 1/2".

Although I am building it as a designated rolling kayak, I am hoping that in the end…I might choose to use it as a day boat as well…time will tell.

Bob

day boat
Ah the perfect boat for me! a rolling machine with day tripper capabilities.

Looks like the original of the originals Anas Acuta is the strongest contender out there that would fit that description.

Course that is why I am going to demo a bunch of boats tomorrow… What do I know?

Paul

demo a bunch of boats
Because its fun!

Interesting
Bob

Those are definitely some increased deck heights on that Black Pearl. If i am not mistaken, that makes it higher than the OI that had a 10" front and 7" rear decks.

Please hurry up and build that BP soon, Bob. Then, when you try it and decide you don’t like it I will be there to take it off your hands.

Scott

10 inches
Scott, the OI advertises 10 inches mid point or some sort of terminology like that. It was definitely more than 10 inches to the top of the deck, at least the brand new one I tried out last week.

Paul

Yup…demo…demo…and demo…
Love demoing boats…and I just was reminded of how much fun it is. Just because I am building my own boats…it doesn’t mean I have to stop demoing…right?

OI depths…
Just heard from a bunch of OI builders on kayakforum.com…they measured and found that at the front of the cockpit, the depth is 10 3/8"

My BP will be 10 1/2 at the front…and if I recall correctly, 6 1/2" at the back of the cockpit…

Hey Scott…any idea of what black pearls run these days?

Seeya on the Sound?

Bob

Specifically, they lack any…
…toture/twist to panel ends.

Since you’re familiar with them - you know how the panels intersect down at the knuckle at the ends. No up-sweep to the chines - and a cutwater like a wedge. Entry is not very fine and doesn’t part the water in an optimal way. Works OK, but very simplified.

Compare BBK bow to just about any other S&G design or SOF. My SOF is limited to basically flat panels too, but has a much more developed form. Maybe their design is a conscious trade off - though I see no benefit beyond being easier to build.

Yes - Also sweet, but too one trick pony
It’s a very tight super LV rolling machine. awesome, but different design intent than I’m after.

See recent recent QajaqUSA thread (and WebShots pictures) of the beautiful SOF made off that design:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/noframes/read/37993

What I like about the Njord it it has some Black Pearl DNA - feel and rolling - but with a little more practicality (but not a US sized barge either) and speed. Read Björn’s full description:

http://www.thomassondesign.com/edoc/enjord.php

13"! NM

Oi deck
Yeah but I wonder what the production boat depth is. find out tomorrow when I demo.

paul