Anas Acuta?????

What’s the point?
Some of those boats are so unlike the original that about the only thing they have in common is that they’re kayaks. That’s largely the point I was making above.

There have most certainly been many copies of the original over the decades and quite a few recent ones, plus numerous modified versions. However, the same could be said for many other boats that have been surveyed and had their dimensions published. I really don’t think “lineage” is even remotely important when it comes to kayaks, as all of these historic boats are simply someone’s interpretation/modification of someone else’s boat or the result of using a somewhat standardized measuring method.

I agree with Brian on this…
I weighed 190 when I paddled an Anas Acuta and felt just a bit too heavy for it. Of course others may disagree depending on their viewpoints but I felt like there was so much hull under the water that it paddled really slow and was affected by every little current/wave at that weight. (I only paddled it a short while though so may have changed my opinion after more time in it.)

After your comments on the narrowness of the Greenlander Pro though with the hip pads I had in it you may have hip width comfort issues too.

right, I understand that
…it’s just interesting that we ended up talking about some significant related milestones in this thread.

I was supporting your point
I was simply adding information to support your point.

Matt
Why not consider the Valley Avocet? It has a bit more volume and though it lacks hard chines - it is a very fine playboat in the 16 foot range. Several very good paddlers at Connyak have one and they all swear by them. Also, if you want to use it in rock gardens there is even the plastic version available…

Just a thought…

Scott

Romany Surf or HV…
Matt, having watched you in your Romany HV at Sullivans Falls, I can’t imagine you will find a better production boat for your play.

You might have to start thinking about working with a boat designer if you want something finer tuned.

AA
I’ve paddled the Anas a bit and like it a lot, though I haven’t had it out in anything really rough. Very playful boat. I’m also considering getting one as a second kayak to complement my Force 4. I’m 6’ 185-190 and I fit in it just fine. Never been in a GPro, but for reference, I demo’ed the Q-boat and found it way too high-volume for a comfortable fit.

Oh, and by the way, Tom Nickels no longer has his AA. Potomac Psports stopped carrying Valley, so Tom is moving to a Cetus. I know the guy who has the boat now, but I’m not going to post his name on this board for privacy reasons – but if you like, I could send contact info to him. I’m sure he’d be happy to arrange a demo.