Anchor question

Hi

I fish on my kayak so far only in lakes and ponds, kind of scared to go on rivers as I am alone. My question is, I use a brick as an anchor . Yes a brick that they build houses with. It has worked for years for me. Would you advise against this for any reason?
I see guys with store bought anchors with the 4 spikes and I am afraid to get snagged and have to cut the line.
Remember for lakes and ponds it has worked fine for me but I am just curious if I overlooked something.

Thxs

Pat

My first post but I’ve worked on/around boats my entire life. I can’t see anything wrong with a brick, it won’t hold a larger boat but if it’s working then I wouldn’t change it.
Paul

1 Like

I just usually tie off on a stump cypress knee or a tree limb overhanging the water if I am on the river

Great thxs, I feel better!

Pat

I am so scared to go on my local river (Etowah river-Georgia)
That river just flies. There is a put in close to my house and after that it’s a 6 miles trip until the next put out. 5 or 6 fish weirs in between.
I will have to try a smaller river before I go on that one. But the fishing must be amazing with all the shore privacy.

Pat

Check out mushroom anchors. No sharp corners and plastic coated. Sold by many places.

Welcome to the group 3 men

1 Like

Thxs for the warm welcome and mushroom anchor recommendation.

Pat

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome.
I hope I can learn from others and possibly provide a little knowledge of my own to the community

They make mesh bags intended to be filled with rocks and used as small boat anchors. A brick sounds better because you can skip the mesh bag.

1 Like

A brick is fine if you don’t mind that the wind might drag you. As for actual anchors, you don’t have a lot of worry about them snagging. It can happen on occasion, but you paddle to the other side of it so you are pulling from the other direction and it usually comes right up. On my rec boat that I used fishing, I had built an anchor trolley. You can deal with the anchor next to you where it’s easier, then move the anchor point to the bow or stern so you hang the way you want. You use a quick disconnect cleat incase you were to be pulled in the current against the anchor and you are all set.

Or carry a small bag and put some rocks in it. Tie a carrabiner to it that can be attached to your anchor line.

I use the bricks with the holes in them, not the completely filled ones. Handy to tie the rope.

Pat

That’s another affordable idea.

Pat
(That was to answer “PPINE” as I forgot to quote.)

I have used in the canoe a bleach bottle filled with sand. Does not scratch boat or me. Holds in mud, sand, weeds. Sure it drags in wind and current, but I shouldn’t be in the canoe when that windy or current.

In the kayak I “stake out.” I have a 1/2" sched 40 pvc pipe about 4 or 5 ft long. One end has a hole in it I can pass a piece of 550 cord through. Just stab the piipe into the mud. …silty soils do this well. Leave the 550 corde tied to the boat. It works. It works good for shallow work in the marshes during low tide ambushes.

I like the bleach bottle idea. I might give it shot and compare with the brick.
I can imagine a thread in a kayaking blog “We compared for you the brick and bleach bottle anchor systems” LOL

Pat

Bleach bottles don’t scratch .

Trying one this week-end.

Pat