Anchor

I’ve been looking for an anchor for my yak. I know a lot of people use the folding grapnel anchors but i’ve read they don’t hold all that well and a lot of people are opting for the “Bruce” plow type anchor. My question is, has anyone used a “Chene” anchor. They sell one that weighs in at 4 lbs and looks like it would do the job, but i’d like to know the general dimensions of the anchor so i can figure if i have space for it. The Bruce weighs 5 lbs and digs in, the Chene is a pound lighter and looks like it will dig in well also similar to a danforth. Another thing is do you need use a chain?

Be careful when anchoring.
I was using a small folding anchor. I used it mostly against the shore. I made the mistake of moving out into the current. The anchor line ended up around the kayak with the anchor upstream. I was unable to dislodge the anchor and was concerned about rolling the kayak. I cut the anchor line. I will not use an anchor in moving water again.

Be very careful when you anchor in moving water.

Where are you anchoring?
Lots of people on the Texas Gulf Coast use the folding anchor with little or no problem. Of course, our waves are seldom more than three feet. On lakes, it doesn’t take much of an anchor to hold a yak, except in very windy conditions. I use a 3lb rubber coated dumbell for an anchor, it works very well and only cost me $3. I’ve also used a 21/2lb barbell plate, also works. Rocks in a net bag work well and you have the advantage of discarding them when done.

If you are anchoring either in a river or where there’s wave action, you may want to consider attaching an anchor float and a quick disconnect. That way, you don’t have to cut your anchor roap and lose the anchor. Most people I know who anchor kayaks use them to fish from. For fighting larger fish in salt water, the quick disconnect and anchor float are absolutely necessary.

I see you subscribe to
www.texaskayakfisherman.com also. If you look in the archives, anchors are covered in depth. I liked the home built anchor with the prongs, it would hold well I think.

window weights
I use a old fashioned window weight for a anchor. Works great, 3-4 lbs. and easy to store. Small cylinder shape tucks any where. Good luck!!

But getting more difficult to come by
especially if you live in an area with mostly newer (post 1950) homes.

Old brass
I use an old 150psi safety pop that became a “boat anchor” when a fire sprinkler system was refurbished. It’s filled with sand, capped off at openings, eyebolt installed in one cap, 50’ of 1/4" nylon line on a spool. Presto, anchor good for flat water fishing. I even ran it through a little pulley that attaches near the bow and assists in dropping and weighing. (Never Again Volunteer Yourself – to take off your gas mask and sing Anchors Aweigh!)

Taj

Regarding anchor
I use a 3lb. folding anchor for all of my charters, and that includes deep water fishing. Have tried a small Danforth but found that it was noisy. Also tried the 5lb. mushroom anchor but it pulls up quite a bit of soft bottom with it. Also have experience with Fortress anchors and feel that they are just too lightweight

It’s not so much the weight of the anchor that will hold you, rather it is the amount of scope you have out.

Every kayaker should have at least 3x, if not more, the length of their boat in anchor line.

Folding anchors work great
And if you are fishing in rocks and concerned about losing an anchor, try tying a small line and float to the bottom ring on the anchor, it it gets stuck you can pull it out. I fish a pungo angler 12 and I weigh around 212, so my boat loaded is around 325 lbs including the yak. I use a 1 1/2 lbs folding anchor and it works great.

FYI - I find window weights, dumbells, concrete in a clorox bottle, etc all work as well as any anchor you can buy for lakes and slow moving water.

weights
Cool, I too use a small dumbbell unless tripping with portages. Then I use a basketball net and locally found rocks.