Anchoring From Vagabond

This is my first post. I purchased a Vagabond to float a small river, class 1 rapids with flat water between. I would like to anchor in the flat water. What is the best way to anchor from the Vagabond, tie off, etc. The end plates at the bow and stearn are plastic so I would hesitate placing some sort of pulley on them.
Thank you. This seems like a great forum.

Two Ways

– Last Updated: May-12-07 8:58 PM EST –

In calm water, you can keep it very simple, and just tie-off your anchor line to the nearest thwart. There's no reason in that situation for the boat to line up with the wind (it's actually much better if the boat does NOT line up with the wind. It won't wig-wag nearly so much).

If it's very windy or choppy, it may be better for your anchor line to attach to one end of the boat to reduce wind drag on the boat and to let the boat ride the waves better. Here's a way to do that with no pulleys. The short version of the story is that the anchor line attaches to a thwart at the end of the boat. Now, how do you tie it off so far from your seat without crawling to the end of the boat each time? Like this: Install a permanent line to the end thwart of your choosing (front or rear of boat). That line, which we will call "Line A" has a metal ring of some kind on the free end, and is long enough that the end with the ring can easily reach the center of the boat where you are sitting. A second line, "Line B", attaches to that same ring. Line B is long enough to reach a tie-off point on the thwart near your seat even when Line A is extended way off the front of the boat.

When you want to anchor, toss the anchor overboard, drift back nearly as far as you want, and then tie-off the anchor line to the metal ring (you will now drift a little farther downwind before Line A gets pulled tight off the end of the boat and stops you). While anchored, the anchor line and Line A work as a single unit. Line A is tight, but Line B is long enough to remain slack (alternatively, you can tighten Line B just enough to keep your boat at a slight, constant angle to the wind, rather than lined up with the wind. This will reduce wig-wag of the boat in the wind). When you want to pull in the anchor, pull the metal ring up to within your reach by pulling Line B, and untie the anchor line from the ring. Lay Line A in the boat and pull the anchor line in hand over hand. This works like a charm, you never have to leave your seat, and you can place the anchor on the floor of the boat, rather than leaving it it dangling off the end from a pulley and banging the hull.

Great Idea
That is a great idea I would never have thought of, and I can see how it would work. I will try that.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Slight modification

– Last Updated: May-12-07 10:41 PM EST –

You can also sustitute your excess anchor line for Line B. In that case you have one less rope to deal with, but it also means you have one additional knot to tie and untie each time. Take your pick.

On the other hand, if you alway lay out the same length of anchor line, there's no need to untie anything when pulling anchor, so this method might be better.

In addition, here's a tip for handling anchor line that's good for any small boat with no anchor winches. Cut a sheet of light plywood about 15 inches long and 5 inches wide (or any other similar dimension, it's not critical). Cut deep notches in each end which are nearly as wide as the board. Wrap your rope around that board, within the notches. Keeps your wound-up rope compact and tangle-free. Maybe you already knew this trick or a similar one, but I see enough people with rope laying all over the bottom of the boat I thought I'd mention it.

I addition the the suggestions abover,
get a brush anchor. Basically, they’re spring clamps and cheap. Mine is the spring wire type and cost about $4. It allows you to hook on to limbs, clumps of leaves, logs, rocks, or just about anything the clamp will hold on. You don’t have to have a lot of anchor rope out with the brush anchor and their’s little work in bringing it back into the canoe once you are ready to shoot the rapids.