ANGLING COURTESY – Please read !

Hi folks !

I’m trying to gather some information to be used in an upcoming kayak fishing article I’m writing. Please take a moment and give me some feedback. I’ll be posting this at numerous forums in an attempt to gather worth while information from a cross section of people that use our waters.

The topic is about courtesy on the water as it pertains to fishing. This applies to paddle anglers, recreational paddlers, angling boaters, recreational boaters, guide/charter boats, and those fishing from shore or wading. As the waterways become more crowded, I’m finding that many times people aren’t very respectful of others space (and rights), and I’m not sure if this stems from greed or ignorance. I’m sure there is a letter of the law that can be applied, but I’m looking to find out what most people consider to be fair or proper concerning how close others can get, and what are the best and proper ways to interact with other anglers (so as not to interfere with their fishing adventures). My end goal is to convey some common sense guidelines in that article, in hopes that it will make my/our fishing experiences better in 2006.

So, if you would, please copy/paste the following questionnaire, give me your honest opinions, and send it back to me at jerry_white_home@yahoo.com. Please feel free to elaborate on the topics. Also, please feel free to forward it to anyone you think would have some valid input. Thanks in advance for your help !!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

WHAT IS YOUR MAIN METHOD OF FISHING ? (SHORE/BRIDGE/WADING, KAYAK/CANOE, POWERBOAT, OTHER)

WHAT DO YOU FEEL IS A MINIMUM APPROPRIATE DISTANCE TO MAINTAIN FROM OTHER ANGLERS (WHEN POSSIBLE) ?

IF BOATING OR PADDLE ANGLING, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PASS BY SOMEONE THAT IS FISHING IN A SPOT THAT CROSSES YOUR PATH ?

IF YOU’RE SET UP IN A SPOT AND SOMEONE APPROACHES YOU, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THEM COMING OVER TO CHAT ?

Thanks for your input. Please send to jerry_white_home@yahoo.com.

I fish from a kayak,
sometimes, if with someone else, a canoe. My preference is that no other angler, unless we are fishing together be in sight. But, in reality, at least 50 ft is a good distance.

If at all possible, I pass other anglers behind the area into which they are casting. If I must pass and they are casting or have lines out that block my passage, I’ll let them know politely that I’m coming through. If they don’t respond, I’ll go ahead and paddle through, trying to avoid their lines. Anyone approaching a fisherman to “talk” should try not to interfere with the action. Depending on how I’m fishing, I don’t usually mind, especially if bait fishing.

fishing
In rivers I mostly fish by paddling to a good spot and then wade fishing. In lakes I troll or skirt the banks about 30 yards out and cast toward the shore. When river fishing if I cross an area being worked by bank fishermen, I try to hug the opposite shore. If water levels and current take me right through their holes I always apologize. However I have noticed that when I’m bank fishing and someone in a boat passes it has very little affect on the fishing. I used to get huffy when a powerboat passed as I suspected it scared the fish, however I have found that often the result is that the fish become even more active as the boat motor stirs up fish food from the river bottom. Maintaining a reasonable distance between yourself and other fishermen is entirely dependent on the circumstances of the fishing area in question - its not a set distance. It depends on the size of the body of water -river,stream,lake,etc. the wind and currents and the availability of fishing space. I have fished rivers where fishermen were almost elbow to elbow (slight exageration) where if a new fisherman arrived and started fishing 10 feet away no one would bat an eye. On the other hand Ive fished back country rivers where if you could see another fisherman you would think they were too close.

Survey
WHAT IS YOUR MAIN METHOD OF FISHING ? (SHORE/BRIDGE/WADING, KAYAK/CANOE, POWERBOAT, OTHER)

Shore and Canoe depending on the season.

WHAT DO YOU FEEL IS A MINIMUM APPROPRIATE DISTANCE TO MAINTAIN FROM OTHER ANGLERS (WHEN POSSIBLE) ?

20 feet.

IF BOATING OR PADDLE ANGLING, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PASS BY SOMEONE THAT IS FISHING IN A SPOT THAT CROSSES YOUR PATH ?

Go around.

IF YOU’RE SET UP IN A SPOT AND SOMEONE APPROACHES YOU, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THEM COMING OVER TO CHAT ?

No problemo. Love to talk fishing.

fishing edict

WHAT IS YOUR MAIN METHOD OF FISHING ? (SHORE/BRIDGE/WADING, KAYAK/CANOE, POWERBOAT, OTHER) x-tra wide 16’ flat boat 60hp mariner,Louisiana marsh, just bought 15’ prowler

WHAT DO YOU FEEL IS A MINIMUM APPROPRIATE DISTANCE TO MAINTAIN FROM OTHER ANGLERS (WHEN POSSIBLE) ? unless your in a winter aquariaum type slam fest,I would say 45’ x 2 90’ , total min.

IF BOATING OR PADDLE ANGLING, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PASS BY SOMEONE THAT IS FISHING IN A SPOT THAT CROSSES YOUR PATH ? Do your part to get quiet, slow moter, stealth in paddleing try to avoid lines and just a nod unless spoken to.

IF YOU?RE SET UP IN A SPOT AND SOMEONE APPROACHES YOU, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THEM COMING OVER TO CHAT ? It is very selfish unless invited.They could be taking a kids first productive trip

Jim

distance, courtesy
1)kayak,powerboat

2)usually a 10th of a mile at least, 50 yards in channel, closer in a kayak

3) NEVER pass astern behind a powerboat if possible, most may be chumming or may have lines far back.

4) I almost never approach another vessel unless invited over, and would always attempt to contact first by vhf, in a kayak if invited I’ll come over ,otherwise I’ll leave you in peace. you didn’t go fishing to talk to me. you can do that on the dock.

On Water Behavior
I always treat the down stream fisherman as having the right-of-way. I only speak if spoken to or when I see the other guy taking a break. If I’m drifting, I will anchor and announce that I would like to drift through, then I wait until the OK is given.

Subjective…

Kayak / motorboat

Depends on location and style of fishing. Normally I feel intruded upon if another angler is within three casting distance of me. There are exceptions…

When fishing straight down over a deep hole I don’t feel crowded when someone approaches up to about one good casting distance.

When jigging over a tree top for crappie… please stay off of “my” treetop and please don’t approach noisly to the point where you MIGHT scare the fish I’m targetting. (As if I could catch a crappie!)

If I’m drifting a shoreline I don’t care if you follow behind me but please don’t jump in front of me even by 1/4 mile to drift the same shore.

I used to have a bank fishing spot where as many as 20 people would stand nearly shoulder to shoulder to fish under a particular light. When you went to that spot you went expecting to find others there and expecting things to be a bit crowded. If there were only three people there then you gave respective amounts of space.

I always try to give them a wide berth when possible. I do what I can to not interfere with their piscatorial pursuits. If they’re fishing in the middle of a canal that’s only 20’ wide I’m just gonna have to interfere for a moment but I’ll try to make it a minmal disturbance.

IF YOU’RE SET UP IN A SPOT AND SOMEONE APPROACHES YOU, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THEM COMING OVER TO CHAT?

Again, it depends… Fishing from the bank? No sweat but please don’t tell me your life story. In the kayak it depends on how “skinny” the water is where I am and whether or not I’m on the fish.

Remember the golden rule.

More … :slight_smile:
Hi again …

Thanks for your input – I’ve received a lot of e-mails. So, please send your comments (if you haven’t already) or post them here. I’ll be wrapping up my data collection at the end of the week. Once the article is published via paddling.net, I’ll post a link here.

Thanks again for your participation in this.

Angling Courtesy

Kayak fishing first, then shore/surf casting and powerboat.

Minimum 50 feet for shore/surf casting

Kayak fishing as I fish in the ocean, I try to stay at least 100 feet from the nearest kayak to allow for drift and movement when landing the fish.

I see which way their line is going and move to the opposit side.

Not a problem as long as they do not cross over my line.

Thanks for your input. Please send to jerry_white_home@yahoo.com.

Canoe, kayak, or sometimes powerboat… seldom from the bank.

100 feet minumum when possible, I usually give more like 100 yds.

Go around them, giving no less that 100 feet.

Its pretty rude if you ask me.

Common ? sense

Kayak, wading creeks

On some waters in Colo. power boaters are required to give 150’ (I think that’s the number) distance from fishermen. Fly fishing, working a stream, requires courtesy up front from all. I don’t like being crowded closer than about 100 yards.

Be friendly and polite. Stay as much out of the way as practical. Face it, the world is crowded and we have to find ways to get along. No one owns exclusive rights to public water. Both parties have to give a bit.

A few polite words are fine. Remember, lots of people go out in the woods to get away, not have their time gobbled up by someone who doesn’t know when to shut up. Anyone paying attention should be able to tell if someone wants to be left alone or to discuss world events.

It all boils down to what we learned in kindergarten. Play nice, share, take naps, do your best, be polite.

Taj

here you go

Canoe & shore.

Double my casting distance. Far enough that we couldn’t cast & cross lines even if we tried.

Go around. A stationary angler has claimed an area equal to their casting distance + a little room for manoevering. If the angler is blocking a portage head then I just head straight in, they had best get out of the road.

Sure whatever. Don’t start fishing my spot without asking, that’s just rude. Come up quietly and respectfully. I’m pretty open about where and what they’re hitting on.

My answers

Probably 50/50, powerboat and kayak.

WHAT DO YOU FEEL IS A MINIMUM APPROPRIATE DISTANCE TO MAINTAIN FROM OTHER ANGLERS (WHEN POSSIBLE) ? 100 yards if you are in a motorized craft, 50 yards in a kayak

IF BOATING OR PADDLE ANGLING, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PASS BY SOMEONE THAT IS FISHING IN A SPOT THAT CROSSES YOUR PATH ? Unless they are fishing in a channel (which they shouldn’t be) or a natural pass and you cannot change your path, you should change your course to give them a 100 yard berth (50 in a paddling vessel). If they are in a natural pass and you cannot go out of the way, If you are in a motorboat, slow to just above idle, just so you can maintain headway and steerage. If they are in a channel, they shouldn’t be there anyway, so screw em. Just try to go as fast as you can, because people like that are more likely to try to hit you with sinkers

Don’t like it. I go fishing for the peace and solitude, and I don’t make idle chat with strangers anywhere, not on planes, not in elevators, and not on the water.

Mostly, what should be remembered, even though it is nice for someone in a small paddling craft to give fishermen as wide a berth as possible, a kayak or canoe isn’t going to do much to disturb the fish in the area, or the person’s rig. And if anyone throws sinkers at you, you should immediately report that person to the local sheriff. It’s just fishing, afterall, and attempting to cause bodily harm is never to be tolerated.

poll response…probably too late
I know it is probably too late to respond to make the poll, but this one was interesting.

60% kayak; 30% shore/wading; 10% powerboat by invitation.

Within eyesight (when possible). If not possible, 100 yards. If 100 yards is not practical, 2x maximum casting distance. If I can see you on a river/stream, I am too close.

This question makes up a scenario that I don’t follow. If someone is in the spot, I don’t pass them–I go around by as long a distance as practical, or avoid them completely. I don’t fish rivers where I would have to paddle through a “hole” and disturb someone’s fishing. I feel sorry for the old river fishers in upper Michigan, because it became stylish to run a canoe through the middle of a hole and scream, “Sorry!”, giggle like mad, and toss the non-drinking fisherman a beer.

I feel that they don’t understand fishermen, and they are ruining my experience. The only people with my full approval to approach me are friends, landowners, and conservation officers/police, etc. If I wanted to fish with a group, I would be fishing with a group. Only the rude, the clueless, and the mindless trolls (say, the paparazzi) would interrupt someone who was meditating. Fishing is my meditation.

The article is DONE !
The article is now available via paddling.net

[Sharing The Waters](http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?192)

Thanks to all of you for your input. :slight_smile:

Good job. Covered the points well.

We should make you money? Get real!
So let me get this straight… we should post ideas here - so that you can write articles about it later and make money off of it?

Great - thanks but no thanks!

Hold the phone
The guy was up front about why he wanted the info. Sure we would all like to get paid for our opinion. His article, which brings out the possibility of raising awareness of being nice to each other, is pretty good intangible pay. This isn’t something to get upset over. Let’s get to fishing and let it go.

Taj