Another Canoe Post...

A while ago I posted a request for a canoe recommendation for those times when kayaking isn’t family-friendly (2 small kids, mostly flatwater, occasional solo, etc…) and the recommendation seemed to center around the Wenonah Spirit II… haven’t seen one on the used market, which is where I’ll be buying my first canoe.

Well… a fellow p’netter in the area has a 17’ Kevlar Prospector that appears to be in very good condition and I thought I would toss this out for any additional feedback for those with experience in this boat…

All advice appreciated…

Sounds Good to Me…
…we have a BlueWater 16 Prospector in Kevlar - no real complaints with it, altho I have paddled other canoes I liked better. Since it’s so light, the Prospector does tend to blow around when lightly loaded in a good breeze, but you can forgive a canoe that weighs about 45 lbs. a lot more than that :->))

Regards,

Rick

17 Wenny Prospector
Prospector designs are generally based on a series of models originally built by the Chestnut Canoe Co. in the early 1900s. Over the years Prospectors gained a reputation as excellent tripping canoes know for their maneuverability, seaworthiness and great stability (both initial and especially secondary). The famous 20th Century Canadian canoeist/filamaker/artist/author Bill Mason preferred Prospectors. Mason’s fame and preference for Prospectors has fueled great interest in this basic design and probably accounts for why several different canoe builders now offer canoes with that name. Prospectors make excellent mild white water boats, can handle massive loads and make great tripping canoes.

The Wenonah version is fairly true to the original design in terms of its general proportions, relatively high recurved stems and full quarters. Compared to the old Chestnuts Wenonah increased the amount of rocker somewhat. The increased rocker aids maneuverability when turning the canoe flat (not heeled over on edge), but does tend to slow it down a bit (they were never fast anyway). Of course speed is not generally a pressing issue when one is discussing family canoes. Prospectors are probably the closest thing one can imagine to the best “all-around general purpose canoe”.

Prospectors also make fine solo canoes when heeled over and paddled “Canadian style”. A good friend of mine has a 16’ Kevlar Wenny Prospector that he set up with a center seat and uses exclusively as a solo (he removed the bow and stern seats). While he’d be the first to tell you it’s not a fast solo and it does catch wind - it is highly maneuverable, very seaworthy and amazingly stabile. The 17’ version should also serve well as a solo.

Bottom line: I would think this would make an excellent family canoe & a pretty good canoe for occasional solo use.

BTW, the seller c2g (Dave) is an honest guy and an experienced paddler. You’ll receive a truthful answer to any question you ask him.

Thank You
Your post is exactly the reason I (and others I’m sure) find these forums so helpful. You answered every question I asked and some I didn’t…

Thank you very much,

Brian.

Go for it!
Sounds like an excellent choice. BTW - I have a 16’ prospector. My wife gets nervous in most canoes, but in this one she is as comfortable as can be. This canoe can easily take two adults and two kids.