Another confused newbe

Yet another is this right for me question. I have read through some of the pages here and of course am more confused than ever. I am 6’1" at 265 lbs with a 34 in inseam if that matters any. I expect to be mostly on flat water but who knows lake Michigan is only a 45 minute drive. Is an Old Town Pungo 140 14 foot a decent choice? I really don’t want to spend any more than a grand on a kayak considering there will be several hundred dollars in other stuff to go with it.

I would not take a Pungo , whether made
by OT or WS,on a Great lake but for calm water ,it should be a good boat for you.

Agree with String

– Last Updated: Jun-05-11 11:44 PM EST –

I don't have any experience paddling on anything the size of Lake Michigan. I do have a Pungo 140, and really like it for tooling around on calm flatwater lakes in the area.

Even though the 140s have both front and rear bulkheads now, I don't think I'd even think about taking it on anything more challenging. The cockpit is simply too big, and would let too much water in for it to seem like a practical choice. The Pungo spray skirts tend to not be much help either because the surface area is too great to support the weight of a lot of water.

If you're going on big water, you'd want a big water boat. A touring or sea kayak would be appropriate. Sticking with Wilderness Systems, something in the Tsunami series would be a better choice. Smaller cockpit, easier to roll, deck lines for rescue situations, etc.

Mike

Try a bunch of boats
Get lessons where you can try different boats in your size range (WS Tsunami 14 and similar). Some outfitters clear out their fleet boats at the end of the season for a discount - lessons and rentals this summer can lead to a bargain this fall. As always, look for ACA or BCU instructors.

Try a bunch of boats
Get lessons where you can try different boats in your size range (WS Tsunami 14 and similar). Some outfitters clear out their fleet boats at the end of the season for a discount - lessons and rentals this summer can lead to a bargain this fall. As always, look for ACA or BCU instructors.

Decisions for you
Do you want to take on venues like Lake Michigan down the road? If yes, you’d be better off spending the money for a used sea kayak and learning how to paddle it, bracing and rolling. If you would be happy to stay in quiet waters at least for a long time, a rec boat like the Pungo, even new, may be a great choice.

Unless you make a clearer choice on where you want to be paddling, it’ll be hard for anyone to give you apt advice.

recommend Earth’s Edge
Are you anywhere near Grand Haven? Earth’s Edge, a kayak outfitter shop there, was an excellent dealer when I patronized when I lived in Michigan. They have water demos of boats twice a month all summer:

http://www.earthsedgeusa.com/

I was impressed by their knowledge and enthusiasm, and the shop is handy to the inlet so the demos are quite convenient.

Not my choice

– Last Updated: Jun-06-11 11:43 AM EST –

Yesterday I had to tow a flooded Pungo to the beach. This kayak lacked flotation in the bow and had a huge cockpit, The results were a boat that was too flooded to pump out or T-rescue and dump. It was literally a sunken barge. If it were windy and bouncy conditions I would have cut it free and left it. Not worth the risk.

What ever you choose, make sure it has bulkheads fore and aft.

Gary

My brother tried to take his Pungo 120

– Last Updated: Jun-06-11 12:47 PM EST –

out through some 1.5' surf in Fla, with some urging from me. I wanted to see how fast it would swamp. 2 waves.
I have had my Tarpon out in 3-4 foot confused waves and it was not easy, but the boat had no issues. Really good drain holes.

Spray skirt
We’ll naturally a spray skirt would help but pretty useless once you do a wet exit.

What really went wrong in this situation is that the paddler tried to climb back in. Once the coaming went underwater it was over. A paddle float rescue would have been more successful but still, any closed deck kayak that lacks flotation has a potential for disaster.

Gary

Thanks for the advice.
I have looked for a used kayak but I’m not really finding any. Probably will be lots of them in the fall.

I doubt I will get out on the big lake often if at all. I will keep looking for used but it sounds like my first choice will work for most of the water I am likely to be on.