another "dry capacity" question

Sometimes I don’t trust the stats I see online.

The Prijon site: www.wildnet.com shows the Motion (14’11"L x 23.5"W) with 9160 cu. in. and the Seayak (16’1"L x 24"W) with 8200.

How can that be? If one kayak is wider and longer, how can it have LESS dry capacity? I thought about deck height being a contributing factor, but based on the descriptions, if anything the Motion would have a lower deck height since it’s for “smaller framed” paddlers (although they don’t give deck height stats). So again, how can the longer, wider, and apparently larger kayak have less capacity? Has to be a mistake, right?

Thanks,

Donna

What are the cockpit sizes of each
boat and the placement of the bulkheads? This may contribute to some of the differences. I don’t really know either boat so if the dry storage numbers are correct, I’m just taking a guess.

I don’t know the system used for such
things, but if I were doing it, the dry capacity of a sea kayak would be the capacity of the bulkhead compartments. For whitewater boats we have the total boat volume, but it is widely agreed that the “gallons” figure is misleading and not very predictive of how the boat behaves.

If those two companies are not using my brilliant approach to dry capacity, then the differences must be due to the height and width above water.

Hey, Donna,…
…I think they mean the compartments.

Prijon boats
If you look at the pictures of the boats on their website the Seayak tapers in more in front of the cockpit. The Motion carries its width futher on to the bow.

Compartments? Really?
Who’da thunk it? (smart*ss)

You just wait until this winter when I get you out on the lake in that 'cuda… we’ll test YOUR dry capacity! :slight_smile: