another flatwater/whitewater compromise

http://www.pyranha.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=48

I just saw the info on the New Pyranha Master TG – essentially a big river-running whitewater kayak with a drop skeg for flatwater use. For someone who wants more river performance than a rec boat without being a complete dog on the flats, it might make sense.

Not an endorsement – just figured that most rec boaters wouldn’t spot it among the other whitewater boats.

All that rocker
You think it won’t be a complete dog on the flats?

well…
I guess it’s all relative. My 8’ Jive is a speedster compared to some of the playboats I see. It works suprisingly well for poking around on small ponds, swamps, and tight slow rivers.

This’d probably be at least as good a flatwater boat as a Pungo is a whitewater boat;-)

Saw this in person a month or so ago.
As I recall, it’s about 28" X 8’. It’s got thigh braces and a WW hull design, but there are no anchor points and the plastic is rec flimsy. I’d guess it would handle light WW better than the typical rec boats, but I’d be just as concerned about swamping it and getting it wrapped around a log or rock. Looks like it could surf well though. Any pricing yet?

Jim

Interesting

– Last Updated: Mar-02-05 4:55 PM EST –

I'm suprised at your impression of the plastic -- given the intended club/school use, I'd have thought they would have gone for bulletproof. But all the emphsis on looping and "getting big air" seems to be driving a lot of the whitewater boats to lighter weight.

Don’t think “big air” was the intent
More like entry-level WW boat, and the price reflects this. I stopped by my local paddle shop tonight to get some stats for you, so here goes:

8’9"X27" overall

37"X21" cockpit

40-45# guestimate

$700

The thigh braces are small and non-adjustable (moulded in) with some 1/2" cordura covered padding push-pinned to the inside. There are minicel structural walls fore and aft apparently glued in between the tracking channels/structural ridges in the floor. It has their touring style, kidney foot pegs on rails with release handles located within easy reach from the seat. The seat is moulded in with a strap adjustable backband. There’s tons of room for gear, but you’ll have to fit it through a small opening in the seat. The rope skeg seems reachable from the cockpit, and the blade is a spear shape (egg shaped might be better for rivers) that drops down about 8". The travel on the rope is pretty short, so the skeg is basically up or down, which works well for the boat’s intent. I have to ammend my statement about the plastic. It’s flexy, not flimsy, but definately not H:3 stiff. I don’t think it’ll impress many that have paddled WW boats before, but I do think it’ll impress rec boaters looking to get a little more oomph out of a river trip. Now, to just get one on the water! :wink:

Their ad copy says
"It is designed for use as a general purpose elementary kayak on rivers with small easy rapids, lakes and coastal areas "

For that I’d go with the Pungo if those were my choices.

Thanks!
Thanks for the report!