Another home made trailer

Looks like nice, beefy metal. Any concerns with bending moments Allan? :o
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/d/tyro-kayak-trailer/6964655561.html

:o
I don’t understand it.
Oh, wait–it says it NEEDS WORK.
NOW I understand it … a little better, at least.

No lights. No registration. A really weird set of racks. That’s a frame, axel and wheels. Not a kayak trailer.

As far as bending moments, I have a similar small trailer with a long tongue. Mine has a wooden box on top of the metal frame, and then the kayaks are supported by the box. You can see in the photo that the box extends about a foot beyond the metal frame front and back. I sometimes carry a couple of hundred pounds of stuff in the box too. With this configuration, I haven’t noticed any flex or bending of the tongue and the trailer has traveled thousands of miles. For the Craig’s List trailer, a lot would depend on how/where the front kayak supports are mounted.

@Wolf said:
As far as bending moments, I have a similar small trailer with a long tongue. Mine has a wooden box on top of the metal frame, and then the kayaks are supported by the box. You can see in the photo that the box extends about a foot beyond the metal frame front and back. I sometimes carry a couple of hundred pounds of stuff in the box too. With this configuration, I haven’t noticed any flex or bending of the tongue and the trailer has traveled thousands of miles. For the Craig’s List trailer, a lot would depend on how/where the front kayak supports are mounted.

What do you do for fore/aft retention?

@greyheron said:

@Wolf said:

Good cradles allow tying down at the cradles (2). No bow/stern lines.

In Florida you’d need flags on the stern(s) since they hang out more than 4 ft. At night you’d need a light. Bike battery lights work for that.

@greyheron said:

I use bow and stern lines, much like carrying on a roof. And yes, there’s always a red flag on the stern. The straps holding the kayaks to the cradle bars also aren’t shown. The kayaks were just resting on the trailer for moving around the driveway by hand.

This is my home made kayak trailer. Based on a small boat trailer. If I ever use it , support won’t be an issue.
I can carry a minimum of 4 boats on my truck and haven’t wanted the hassle of a tag along.