Another loss of life

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/coroner-veteran-kayaker-pulled-from-susquehanna-river-died-of-hypothermia/article_75007b3e-cdfc-11e6-a784-ebd6fe58c55b.html
How sad.

sad God Bless. Now to be a veteran kayak and not know the dangers is shocking and sad. Here on Long Island / NYC water is 45* but air was like 60* with no wind it feels like summer. Unfortunately there will be more I suspect.

Dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature. Which this time of year means wear a full drysuit with plenty of insulation underneath it.

Article said avid kayaker for over 20 years. I see this a lot or experienced kayaker. People then assume that means they know what there doing. Thinking they are the person to ask advice from. My personal experience is many of them are clueless. This is another example. They don’t know what they don’t know.

@dc9mm said:
Article said avid kayaker for over 20 years. I see this a lot or experienced kayaker. People then assume that means they know what there doing. Thinking they are the person to ask advice from. My personal experience is many of them are clueless. This is another example. They don’t know what they don’t know.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, the person writing the article had a limited knowledge base upon which to assess the skills and experience of the deceased. This is going to be the case for the majority of media reports.

I am a pessimist. Glad of it at times. That leaves me prepared for the worst.