Another stupid newbie question - Touring in a long fishing kayak?

One advantage of the SOT is that it’s easy to go for a swim and climb back on top. This is also a nice safety benefit if you’re going far from shore. A sit in can be a little hot with the skirt buttoned up. For a Florida Keys trip I wouldn’t hesitate to tour in a SOT. I used to have a 14ftx27 in with one hatch. Loved that boat.

I bought a WS Tarpon160 SOT to use for recreation and touring. I also dabble with fishing a bit.

I would have preferred a pretty Cascade Designs or equivalent but I am older and not in as good as shape as I should be. I have a back that complains about any weird twisting. So, from a personal safety point, I decided that climbing back onto my kayak when (not if) I am capsized, would be easier than rolling (note back comment) and/or bailing/re-entering a sit-in. And I have been rolled, not by nature yet, but by playful people. It did take three of them.

Another reason for choosing this particular SOT was the length, width and price. The length and width gets me about the best in efficiency with an SOT. The price is what I could afford. Plus there are not many SOTs of other construction materials it seems. I would like lighter in weight but it comes at a price.

We also spend 99% of the time doing day paddles (5-10 miles) rather than touring (overnight) so a big focus on touring would have been silly for me. My kayak serves me well for everything I do.

I did pick up a used WS Tarpon140 as well. I bought it mostly for friends that might join me on longer day or overnight trips. Some of those friends have no kayak or smaller ones. Now they can paddle with me.

Lastly, I am not sure there are stupid questions if you are trying to learn. So ask them. If someone has an answer you don’t understand, ask for explanation. Learn!

Best regards

@CruelShoes said:
I bought a WS Tarpon160 SOT to use for recreation and touring. I also dabble with fishing a bit.

I would have preferred a pretty Cascade Designs or equivalent but I am older and not in as good as shape as I should be. I have a back that complains about any weird twisting. So, from a personal safety point, I decided that climbing back onto my kayak when (not if) I am capsized, would be easier than rolling (note back comment) and/or bailing/re-entering a sit-in. And I have been rolled, not by nature yet, but by playful people. It did take three of them.

Another reason for choosing this particular SOT was the length, width and price. The length and width gets me about the best in efficiency with an SOT. The price is what I could afford. Plus there are not many SOTs of other construction materials it seems. I would like lighter in weight but it comes at a price.

We also spend 99% of the time doing day paddles (5-10 miles) rather than touring (overnight) so a big focus on touring would have been silly for me. My kayak serves me well for everything I do.

I did pick up a used WS Tarpon140 as well. I bought it mostly for friends that might join me on longer day or overnight trips. Some of those friends have no kayak or smaller ones. Now they can paddle with me.

Lastly, I am not sure there are stupid questions if you are trying to learn. So ask them. If someone has an answer you don’t understand, ask for explanation. Learn!

Best regards

I love my T160, but not the weight.

Touring on a SOT…I have a friend that does trips on an Ocean Kayak 14 ft boat…not sure of the model. She longs for the ease of paddling a sea kayak like the rest of us though.

I do overnight fishing/camping trips a few times a year in SOT fishing kayaks. I have a Widerness system ATAK and a Jackson Cuda HD both are great for multi day Camping and fishing trips. I can store most of my camping gear below the deck so its not in the way.

If you are planning to fish along the way kayak speed is not that important, we do 10 to 20 miles a day with an average speed of about 3.5 miles per hour in 12 to 14 ft kayaks.

Hope this helps

The comments are awesome, thanks to all.
I am learning from the discussion, the experience you share is very helpful. With your input, I am leaning toward the long SOT. Again, my Coosa HD is capable of multi-day trips if speed is not a factor. And I am very spoiled with the comfort and stability. I love being able to stand up.
The WS Tarpon 16 and JK Kraken 15.5 are now very prominent on my radar.

The Kraken looks a lot like the Tarpon. Didn’t see a weight. I was told by my local outfitter that WS will no longer make the T160.

I think the big Kraken is over 100 with all of the fishing accessories, I saw hull weight of around 85

@Troy J said:
I think the big Kraken is over 100 with all of the fishing accessories, I saw hull weight of around 85

Don’t know what part of the country you are in, but the some of the southeast retailers carry RTM kayaks. RTM Temp is really the old Scupper Pro. The Midway is their design and around the same size.

If you thinking the need for speed, it’ll help to have the longer (and heavier) SOT models. But, if you are mostly fishing and have a SOT than can also be used for touring/camping, the 14-15’ range will suffice. Again, I have out camping/fishing the Boston Harbor islands for a week at a time each year. The outer harbor islands can be challenging between major shipping channels and exposure to open ocean. The scupper pro can handle as much as the paddler can with his/her skills and stamina.

sing