Any good overnight trips in western PA?

Have a few friends who’d love to go for a canoeing/camping trip in Western PA, I suppose Northern WV, Eastern OH, or western NY would work too. Figure a comfortable pace, spring season, maximum time would be friday afternoon until sunday evening. Could probably go up to Class III water comfortably.

Western PA
Clarion River from Ridgeway to Clear Creek or to Cook Forest State Parks. About 24 to 30 miles. You can camp along the river when you are in the National Forest for the first night and then stay at the State Park the second night.There are also some nice trips on the Kinzua or the Allegheny River, but you need to purchase a permit from the PA Boat/Fish Commission to use the takeouts south of Buckaloons. Here is a good site with maps and http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/watertrails/trailindex.htm

I squash 'at bug!
Thanks a bunch for the link. I’ve done 25 mile trips starting at midday and pulling out in the evening. The website there showed a few longer trips that may fit the bill, like Conemaugh and Yough, and perhaps a longer clarion trip.

Western NY
Theres some good canoeing on the oak Orchard river here and some good fishing to. can arrange a shuttle and camping

Overnight trips near Western PA
We have been running the S. Branch of the Potomac in WV, through Smoke Hole to Petersburg (18-25 miles) for the past 3 years. The river has some areas that push class III (though guide books can disagree) and with strainers varying year to year, it can get exciting. “We” being 4 dads, 6 teens and 5 canoes. Bald Eagles, standing waves, friendly locals and clean water await you. Some run the entire stretch in one day, others make a stop on the river. Camp sites in the Park can be full on Memorial Day, and the few areas (4 or 5) on the river usually have people in them.

Allegheny River
We would recommend the Allegheny River from Franklin to Emlenton - 42 miles of flat water. It is especially nice in the fall when the trees are turning color. We camped overnite at the Danner Rest Stop about half way through the route.

We saw lots of birds: great blue herons, geese, mallards, mergansers, kingfishers, ospreys, hawks and one bald eagle.

Phil & Phyllis Allin

Lake Isabella, CA

Shuttle services?
I’ve heard alittle bit more about Clarion and would be interested to know what arrangements there are for rentals and shuttle service. Particularly what times of the year, and whether they accomodate overnight trips using their own canoes or rented ones.

Thanks!