Any kayak photographers out there using a deck-mounted dry bag for their camera?

I have a Sea to Summit dry bag coming to hold my camera and a long lens. There are lash tabs on the side of the bag. I’m trying to figure out the best way to fasten those tabs to my perimeter deck line that will hold the bag ,but not so tightly that it impedes the process of getting the camera quickly out of the bag. Has anybody delt with the same question and how did you solve it?

I have used a deck bag for my camera, but not that one, this one:

Aleutian Deck Bag™ - Watershed Drybags

It includes a stiff plastic sheet that you put into the bag so that it forms an arc. That way, when you open it, it stays open and easy to reach in and grab the camera. It uses a ziplock type opening.

It worked well for that, but taking the camera in and out with wet hands did result in some water inside. Easy enough to deal with, I just kept a large microfiber Lense cleaning cloth inside the bag with the camera.

However, I found I didn’t like having the bag on my deck, so after a while went back to keeping it in my day hatch, or just wearing the camera with a neck strap. Since the camera I use is splash proof, and not that expensive (Panasonic FZ300), I am happier without the bag at this point. And really, if I am expecting any shots needing that length lens, I have it around my neck mostly.

I think you could do something similar with stiff plastic sheeting. As far as attaching it to deck lines/bungees, since the stiffener is in there, the deck bag can be attached without worrying about access to the contents. Mostly I use carabiner type attachments, mostly stainless steel by Nite Ize, like these:

S-Biner® SlideLock® Stainless Steel (niteize.com)

Yes I do. Past tence

I use the Sea to Summit Big River bag (sounds like that’s the one you’re talking about) to hold my camera. My mod was to cut one of those flexible, thin, plastic cutting boards and put it inside the bag to give it a domed shape. I trimmed all the corners of it in a radius so nothing pointy. I’d get you pics but I’m moving family cross country and won’t be near it for a week or so.

Found this one on my phone, it’s the yellow and black one on my deck.

Hi Greg,

That looks like the Cadillac of deck bags. Thanks for sending the links and tips. This particular camera and lens combo is expensive, quite heavy and water “resistant” and I’m only going to use it to photograph wildlife on still waters. So (I hope) it’s going to safe from weather and me flipping the boat. I do have a waterproof camera that I take kayaking and fishing but the lens doesn’t have much reach. Hence the need for the bigger gun. Thanks again and have a great rest of the weekend.
Alton

LowTech,

Thanks! That’s exactly the type of advice I was looking for. I love the flexible cutting board idea. I blew up your photo and it looks like the deck bungees are doing most of the holding work with a loop of strap running over the top of the whole package from both sides of the deck line. And, yes that is the same bag I bought.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out while in the midst of moving. Much appreciated. Good luck with the move!

Alton

Another place to put an FZ300, with a plugged neoprene beer cozy lens cap.

Actually I added a couple straps that I had from something else. They attach to the lash points on the bag and then I run them under the perimeter lines and back over the top of the bag and buckle together. They do the main job of securing the bag. The shock cord just goes over the top so that I can add things on the sides like my water bottle, pump, extra paddles . . .

And I see the beer cozy has a nautical motif! LOL!

Ah, thanks for that clarification. Good idea.

SAFETY WARNING - deck dry bag.

Lesson Learned: TEST “self rescue” with dry bag weight shifting counter to righting kayak.

My esperience, dry bag too full. Blown over in Lake Michigan near Grand Haven inlet, I could not right the 17’ kayak. The deck bag contents shifted counter to my attempts to right the kayak. My saving grace was visible shore.

Aternative - Knife to cut bag lashed beneath the surface… upside down.

My wife, visiting family heard sirens… did think it couldn’t be me. Coast Guard rescue saved the day.

Thanks for the advice DougT. I can see where that could be a problem paddling in the conditions you described. My paddling with the bag attached to the deck would be for the sole purpose of my wildlife photography. Most of the wildlife I target are in smaller bodies of water and often in flooded marshes. Different world from yours on Lake Michigan for sure. But great advice nonetheless!