Any small paddlers use a Prijon Kodiak?

Yes, I really want you to try it.

– Last Updated: Jun-05-06 6:03 AM EST –

I would say that it is only marginally larger tha my Cuda (which is a pretty snug fit), and definitely not as large as my Calabria. I think the dimensions we read on www.wildnet.com are for the Kodiak 2006, restyled for even a larger paddler--thus the same dimensions as my Calabria. Yikes! The one I bgought, and the yellow one at CS, are 2002-2003 model years, and they have the metal badge Prijon (like the one Renata is shouldering in her pics on my Renata post--ie. Renata is using the non-2006 version). But the website clearly states that the 2006 has a wider cockpit. Ugh! Glad us guys can still get the smaller, older one new and on sale.

Looking forward to seeing Chuck IL's input on the Cuda, as now I know it is not me, it's the boat. Rail-like performance, unstable, fast. But Kodiak is second fastest Prijon.

As you know, yanoer, I want you to get a sea kayak if you want, but no pressure from me, this boat will sell itself no matter where we test paddle it. But the final decision is yours and yours only (I have a bid on my Capri, which is a superb boat too, proving that you can sell one of your others with the appropriate eBay or Pnet ad). G'night.

Yanoer: thanks for a great evening paddl

– Last Updated: Jun-07-06 7:39 AM EST –

Yanoer and I were out on Lake of the Woods in IL for about 2 hours tonight testing the Barracuda versus the Kodiak. We must have traded back and forth at least four or five times. Both boats excel in their own unique ways. Both are plenty useable for paddlers of our size (and my wife and her friend in the Kodiak two nights ago).

More stable: Kodiak

Faster sprinter/accelerator: Barracuda

Faster speed over distance: Barracuda, but not by as much as one might think.

Faster speed in Choppy, roiling conditions: equal, as Cuda paddler would require more edging to stay in control, Kodiak paddler focuses on forward stroke.

Expedition on large water (ocean or great lakes): Kodiak.

Better flatwater workout boat: Barracuda

More user friendly: Kodiak

More comfy cockpit: Kodiak

Better thigh brackets: Barracuda (but the new Kodiak 06 might be same thigh braces as my Barracuda 05)

Better seat: same

Better edging and leaning: Close, but Barracuda

Better tracking/less weathercocking: Barracuda.

Better fit for small paddler: both, but Kodiak 03 could use a touch of minicell.

Better footpegs: Kodiak (same pegs, higher location).

Generous storage area: Kodiak, but not by as much as one would think (check stats at www.wildnet.com)

Better Playboat: Barracuda

Better construction and materials: identical

Weight, length: fairly identical

Better cockpit for big paddler: Kodiak.

Smiles per Mile: equal.

Better overall boat: cannot say. Very different character, but both excel at what they are intended for.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=274996

Yanoer, you are a very good paddler. Thanks for a fun night of testing. Just tell me what your plan is with the Kodiak. "Keep it in the family"
G'night, Don Corleone.

PS: that ONNO paddle rocks! Lightest paddle I have ever felt, question it's rough handling capabilities (ie. if I toss it in the back of my truck like the Wernes, will it chip?). It was stealthy carbon and to find a large blade with some "give" at that price point is quite nice. I was impressed.

That’s a pretty good summary cooldoctor1
Thanks for the opportunity to try both boats out. That was a blast. I think we swapped boats five times.

My initial impressions are:

1. The Kodiak didn’t seem too big for me to handle and would probably work out ok in the long run, though the thigh braces were a little wide for best fit, but I wouldn’t be using them unless in pretty rough conditions or edging hard for a turn.

2. I do prefer the smaller cockpit of the Barracuda and the narrower beam of the Barracuda in front of the cockpit for paddling comfort.

3. I definately prefer the higher foot peg position of the Kodiak over the lower peg position on the Barracuda for straight ahead paddling, but the lower ped position on the Barracuda was perfect for me when using the thigh braces. The position of the Kodiak pegs worked well with or without using the thigh braces.

4. I definately perceived that the Barracuda accelerated faster and required less effort to keep it at cruising speed, but neither of us seemed to pull away from the other when paddling the Barracuda. Over the long haul, I would expect to cover more distance in the Barracuda with less effort.

5. I thought both boats carved turns quite well, but I seemed to be able to turn the Kodiak a little quicker even though it took more effort for me to get it up on edge than the Barracuda.

6. The Barracuda seems more stable to me than My Phoenix Isere (which I’ve been paddling for a couple years), but the Kodiak does seem much more stable than the Barracuda. I would expect to feel more secure in the Kodiak in rough and confused waters. It seemed like I would have to work hard to turn it over.

7. Both boats seemed to track quite well.

8. I found both cockpits to be easy to enter and exit, but the Kodiak is easiest.

9. I see the Kodiak as a fast work horse and the Barracuda as a race horse.

There’s probably more, but I’m tired and am going to stop the comparisons here for now .

Thanks for the use of the Werner Shuna paddle also. I’ve been wanting to try one for a couple years. Very light swing weight and easy power stroke. I felt like I could paddle all day long with it.

I’m glad that you liked my 218cm Onno Full Tour Paddle.

Hmmmm, Kodiak or Barracuda? Both nice designs. I know what I’ll be dreaming about tonight.

Demoing Is Good…
it is better when you paddle the boat in the “worse” conditions that you feel comfortable in. Then do the same with other boats that you may be interested in for a comparison.

How boats react in 5 knots, 10 knots, 15 knots plus can be very different. Windage and weatherhelming kick in progressively.

sing

Congrats Cooldoctor- I couldn’t tell
from your e-mail whether you had purchased or demoed the Kodiak. Glad you enjoy it so much. Prijon should be paying you advertising fees.

superb comparison
That has to be the best head-to-head comparison of boats I’ve seen. Great job, gentlemen.

I guess I’ll eat my words about the Kodiak being too big for Yanoer. Mmmmmmm, they are going to taste good with a little bit of Ranch Dressing!

Happy paddling to both of you!

I agree Sing.
Unfortunately, we can’t up such conditions around here on short notice. It’s easy to speculate how boats will handle in rougher conditions, but difficult to be sure until you’re out there in the conditions.

Kodiak — bruce
Thanks Bruce. Yes, I took the plunge and love this boat. I am very glad I bought it. I certinly agree with yanoer’s summary here:

9. I see the Kodiak as a fast work horse and the Barracuda as a race horse

I feel lucky to have both types of boats, different purposes. I wish I had another Kodiak for fellow paddlers, wife, kids (yes, you read that right–I checked the footpeg placement and for kids --who basically paddle straight and need no edging and stuff until they are a little older–I think the Kodiak would work fine).

I am waiting to see what Yanoer wants to do about the Kodiak at the local retailer. He is a great paddler and likes to take mhis time making a decision, which is good, but if someone else buys that super boat out from under us, then “Yanoer sleeps wit da fishes”, says Don Corleone. :slight_smile:

Cooldoctor: Go for the other Kodiak.
You have my blessing. You have definate plans for having duplicates and I’m still pondering, so I’ll step aside so you can get it before someone else does. At least it will still be in “the family”. Now, go get it ASAP! I’ll be glad to join you on those occasions that you want a paddling partner and your family isn’t interested.

I agree that you should keep the Barracuda for variety and the “thrill of the feel” of paddling it. Get that rudder installed and try it again in the wind and waves. If you do decide to sell it, you know how to contact me.

Happy paddling.

Yanoer: "Now, go get it ASAP!"
Cooldoctor1: “Done”

Paid, trucktopped and in the garage. Dark so not time to paddle yet tonight. I will try, but have dinner meeting tomorrow night so will likely go out with my 90 lb son in dualing Kodiaks this weekend.

Champ Surplus said someone called two days ago and asked that it be taken down so they could see it, sit in it and maybe buy it; assume 'twas you, my dear yanoer.

My wife is definitely going to make me get rid of Capri #2 once my other sells on eBay. Chuck_IL, let’s see what that one fetches. Ciao.

Way to go cooldoctor1.
I’m glad that you got it in time. I did call Champaign Surplus Monday to see if they still had it, but I didn’t ask them to take it down, so someone else must have also been interested in it.

Have fun paddling this weekend. I hope to get out at least once, maybe with my wife.

Congratulations!
Two new kayaks sounds like family fun in the making. Keep me posted about your second Capri.