any way to make a 1-piece paddle a 2er?

assuming a two-piece paddle can make it as carry-on luggage when flying, is there any way to make a 2-piecer out of a 1-piercer, assuming that the shaft is all wood? i’m thinking maybe of a sleeve that fits over both halves and is somehow locked in place. ideas anyone?

Pygmy boats has a carbon fiber
ferrule that it seems would be simple to install/epoxy on a wooden shaft paddle. You would need to be sure and seal the ends of the paddle shaft where it was sawed in two. Having said this, I personally have no experience doing this. I doubt you would be able to carry a paddle onto a plane. You may look into a large diameter PVC pipe long enough to fit the paddle inside. Get two end caps, glue one on with PVC glue tape the other on with duct tape or electrical tape then send it through with checked baggage. I’ve flown with fishing rods like this successfully.

buy a ferrule
Maybe you can contact a smallish company that builds two piece wood paddles, Sawyer, GeyOwl, etc., and ask if they would sell you a ferrule.

Sure, just use a saw.
And why do you feel this limited to paddles with wooden shafts?

:^)

Mick

2 piece paddle
I bought a ferrule from Bending Branches for $25.00 + shipping a year or 2 ago when building a wooden kayak paddle. I don’t know if this is a good deal or not, but it was the only one I could find at the time. I talked to the reps at Canoecopia in Madison, WI and followed up with the order the following week. I had the ferrule pretty quick, but unfortunately, the paddle still is not done! Maybe this winter, summer was just too busy.

cYa, Jim

MEC Has A Ferrule Fitting…
…that does just that. I used one (about $20 Cdn.) to convert one of our home built solid shaft paddles into a two section, so it can be stored on deck. The fitting is stainles steel, and allows for feather adjustment.

I just cut the shaft in two, then carefully planed and sanded until the joiner could be barely be jammed over the very end of the shaft. I then drilled a whole bunch of very narrow holes in the shaft ends, pumped 'em full of Chair Docter glue (it makes wood swell as it cures), smeared the shaft ends and sides with it, secured the shaft end in a vise, fired up the propane torch and heated the stainless fitting as I used a hammer to drive the ferrule down onto the shaft, using a block of wood in between to avoid damaging the ferrule. Worked like a charm - three seasons later, and nothing’s moved. I can send a pic if you want - just drop an e-mail and I’ll post it to WebShots.

Couple things
First, while two piece paddles are neat, why can’t you just fly with the paddle as is? People take skis on planes all the time. I don’t know how big your paddle is, but my skis were 212cm, and they were checked on with no questions.

Secondly, I have read all kinds of advice about wrapping the paddle in bubble wrap or using a padded paddle bag, and I always wonder why. If your paddle isn’t tough enough to survive an airplane cargo hold, do you really want to paddle with it?

Regards the ferrules, CLC stocks stainless and carbon fiber. I was impressed with the technique described in this thread with hole drilling, torch, and force fitting. However, I suggest that a touch-tight fit and epoxy will do the job just fine. Do heed the advice about sealing the ends, although vk1nf might disagree, since he purposely injected a swelling agent into the wood.

~~Chip Walsh, Gambrills, MD