Any1 paddled in Vietnam,laos,cambodia??

Im going to be solo in SE Asia this winter traveling around Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. ANyone here have any paddling info/places to rent kayaks when you were there? I hope to paddle Halong Bay for sure. I see a few rental places online and wondered if you have any info on them.

How about the Mekong River/

thanks for the info.

n

This guy’s website . . .
may be helpful. It looks like he’s paddled in Vietnam.

http://www.kayaker.net/index.php

Hope it helps.

i’ve been twice…
I’ve been twice. Once to scout and set up a trip, then ran it with 8 guests the next year. I used an in-country logistics company that didn’t know much about paddling,but did a great job on the logisistics. Brought over 4 foldable seakayaks…doubles. Paddled for 6 days on HaLong bay, then went north from Hanoi into the hill country near Sapa. Great area…very gracious and kind people. email me and I can tell you more

Qui Nhon, Vietnam . . .

– Last Updated: Nov-15-08 2:10 AM EST –

Qui Nhon and south of there, on the coast. Absolutely beautiful. I sailed there, early '68, on a 21 foot Rhodes. We also would fly out with surf boards and a stocked ice chest, land on the beach and surf. Used to risk getting sniper fire off the point, north of the leprosarium, but you shouldn't have any trouble now.

I used to fly low-level all along that coast . . . absolutely beautiful beaches. Also check out Nha Trang to the south, China Beach up north. No worry about flying/paddling into naval artillery fire or ground fire, either. There are lots of rivers, which can get muddy. It would be best not to go in monsoon season; the rain can go on forever. It would be nice to visit there without a war going on. Watch out for old mines. Maybe I should join you.

www.jonbowermaster.com
Jon Bowermaster lives locally here in the Hudson Valley. Expedition leader/photo journalist for Natl. Geographic. He did Descending the Dragon a couple of years ago and has a new book out on it.

Go to:

www.jonbowermaster.com

Or drop him a line before he heads back to Antartica.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

I was there 4 years ago.
I flew into Hanoi with my Feathercraft Khatsalano, spent a few days in Hanoi then hired a car to take me to Halong Bay. When I was in Croatia I ignored the requirement that I register with the police, but in Vietnam the police were carrying light machine guns and the patrol boats had heavy machine guns conspicuously mounted and I figured I wouldn’t blend into the general population, so I decided to register. They said I had to be somewhere every night where my location would be reported to the police, or I could hire a boat and stay on it. I hired a 70 foot boat with a four man crew. I was served huge quantities of food at every meal that was elegantly prepared with the skipper standing by the table to pour my wine and remove the crab meat from the shell. The ship with crew and food cost me $130 a day.

I didn’t challenge myself paddling. I tried to eat at least half the food prepared for me to be polite, but then I was so stuffed I’d have to take a nap in a deck chair for an hour or so. When I would finally stir myself to paddle, the crew would put my kayak over the side and hand me my paddle and some bottled water. I’d dub around for awhile then return for another meal.

I really enjoyed Halong Bay and Hanoi. I recommend it and will be glad to answer any questions I can.

Oh Lord! It’s still a crazy-making
country! You said, “but in Vietnam the police were carrying light machine guns and the patrol boats had heavy machine guns conspicuously mounted and I figured I wouldn’t blend into the general population, so I decided to register. They said I had to be somewhere every night where my location would be reported to the police, or I could hire a boat and stay on it.”

All that hospitality, all the rules and all that firepower. I get the impression that this is not a free country.

One thing I should make clear,
almost all the people I met in Vietnam were friendly, gracious and welcoming. When I was walking through the Army Museum in Hanoi looking at all the horrible effects of the American War, I was feeling a little embarrassed. But everyone there, staff and visitors, were very friendly, polite and welcoming.

About the weapons the police and soldiers carried, I never felt threatened by them; my main concerns were that the troops I ran across didn’t seem to be particularly well trained or have much discretion. My guess was that, if I just took off, when one of the patrol craft spotted me they would just take me to their bosses, who would take me to theirs, etc. I didn’t think I would be able to talk anyone into giving me a break.

Here’s a funny article about my scouting
trip to Ha Long Bay in 1999. The author is a travel writer who took some liberties with the story. A little embellishment to make a good story I guess.

http://www.vietlinktravel.com/articles/dismonth/11-adven.html

I spent 3 weeks in 99 and another 3 weeks in 2000. My entire time, I never felt threatened or unwelcome. Most of the country population wasn’t born during until after the war. The people were gracious, polite and more concerned with giving good service and making some money.

Here are some photos of both visits.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/bhester_01/Vietnam%201999%20n%202000/

Thailand
Brent Bateman formerly of Calgary, Alberta builds wooden bamboo strip prospector canoes in Sangkhlaburi, Thailand. It’s a frontier city located near the Myanmar(Burma) on Khao Laem Lake. The lake is quite large with many, many islands, five inlets, and several arms. It’s about 30 miles long and 10 miles wide. Brent’s company, Sanghalei Canoe and kayak Co. Ltd. builds and rents. If your in his area he can probably set you up and give you info on the area. His website is:

http://www.sanghaleicanoeandkayak.com/index.html

Bye Bye paddletothesea …
Once you get there, your never gonna come back … at least in mind.

Some Thailand info here.

www.seacanoe.net

thanks for the advice
I appreciate all the good advice and suggestions. Very helpful.

N

I have paddled in Thailand
The best advice I can give you, Norm, WRAP YOUR RASCAL!

NOW ! … LOL.

– Last Updated: Nov-18-08 2:27 PM EST –

yeah
Thats what the duct tape will be for …to keep it on.

haaaaaaaaaaaa

A bit lighthearted but I am serious
Back in 2002, the US Navy ship I was on stopped in Phuket, Thailand. I saw 5 crewmembers 6mos-1 year later admitted to my hospital ward for PCP Pneumonia and AIDS.

so true
got a connetion with asiakayak.com (?)seems interting especiall since they dont cater too tourist…right up my alley.