Anybody heard of Seminole Canoes?

A buddy has a 10’ fiberglass canoe, thought to be of the Seminole brand. It is a fast, tough, whitewater canoe designed for paddlers smaller than him or me.

Anybody know anything about these canoes? Good shape, but older. What’s it worth?

Joe

Joe, no 10 foot canoe is fast, and
few of them are tough. After 35 years of paddling whitewater, I have never heard of a Seminole whitewater. If you want to see some real fiberglass whitewater canoes, go to millbrookboats.com

I am fairly sure that Seminole used to make inexpensive fiberglass canoes for flatwater use. I don’t think they are still in business.

yeah
fast and tough being relative terms, of course, for a 10’ canoe. I say tough based on its heavy layup, it is built like a tank. But no, not kevlar or Royalex.

I used to paddle a c-1 with many, many
layers of fiberglass. It wasn’t all that “tough” or durable. Sometimes, even when using only fiberglass, it is better to build a lighter hull that can flex somewhat. A thick, heavy hull has to absorb energy some way, and the most likely is a local break.

I had a 13’ Mad River Compatriot with a thin, flexible fiberglass layup. I abused it on class 1-2 rivers it wasn’t designed for, but the only place the hull every broke was the front stem, from running into rocks. Of course, the stem can’t bend. The rest of the hull bent inward but never broke.

"Heavy"
Fiberglass boats of chopper-gun construction are heavy, but not particularly strong, certainly not nearly as strong as a multi-layer cloth boat would be if constructed to the same weight. “Heavy” and “cheap” seem to go together.

Seminole Boats
Seminole Boats out of Sanford FL late 70’s early 80’s. They did offer a 10’ 8" model called the Cherokee Papoose that weighed in at 30lbs in fiberglass. All of their boats had the Cherokee preface followed by the length. They claimed to also offer all models in kevlar.

Cherokee canoes
We still have one in the family. While not up to Old Town layup standards, it is much better than the chopper gun canoes that were made by others in the past.

Similar or slightly lower quality than the Mohawk fiberglass boats

Cherokee canoes
We still have one in the family. While not up to Old Town layup standards, it is much better than the chopper gun canoes that were made by others in the past.

Similar or slightly lower quality than the Mohawk fiberglass boats